PENN

Greenteal

Dec 11, 2017
LA
Name
Art
Boat
Skipjack 24
Anyone out there see or hook any makos lately? Seems like we’re seeing less every year up here.

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    The water temp above SD is still a few degrees cold for when they usually start to really show. 66 is usually the magic number with 68-72 being ideal.

Some years that means a great bite in Late May, others in July.

I would bet they are in SD now.

Last edited:
    Greenteal
    Greenteal
    It’s 67-68 up here, but nothing really up this way yet. Weird. The last few years they’ve been showing when it hits 64. Everything I’ve heard lately was from the islands or down south.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Ib1

Getting Saltier..
    May 28, 2009
    IB
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    'Slayride' Invader 183 / Hobie Quest
    Buddies grandkid hooked about a 3' pup the other day when we were looking for bonita of PL.

Upvote 0

jimu

Almost A Member
    Dec 6, 2011
    bellflower ca usa
    Name
    jim unger
    Boat
    stike zone
    Yesturday I was reeling in my rockcod ganion off long beach in 600 ft of water when something grabs it near the surface. It let go but my 1lb cannonball sinker was gone. I looked down in the water just in time to see what looked like a 500 lb. Mako swim under the boat. 10 minutes earlier I cleaned out my Chum Churn, so there ya go

Reactions: Greenteal
    Upvote 0

tunacraze

• Nov 27, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    Steve Brunton
    Boat
    The Big Ones
    Man! Those big ones are no joke! I've hooked one by myself. He somehow rolled up in about 50 feet of leader and broke off. He was tight the whole time. Respect!

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    Why leave ignorant comments if you’re not contributing information? You obviously have your own opinion so keep it to yourself. I’ll gladly give you a full break down of how stable the fishery is.
    Stable or you're seeing less and less each year ?

Reactions: HarborSeal and DAS
    Upvote 0

crazy cajun

Bait Hog
    Jun 14, 2008
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Sean
    Boat
    Grady White Lori Ann
    Why leave ignorant comments if you’re not contributing information? You obviously have your own opinion so keep it to yourself. I’ll gladly give you a full break down of how stable the fishery is.
    Could you reach out to the guy that started the post. He was looking for some information that sounds like you have.

Reactions: plj46 and SMYLEE
    Upvote 0

walter heim

Feb 20, 2021
    San Diego
    Name
    walter heim
    Boat
    Bayrunner
    I do a lot of shark chumming. From my point of view, there has been a significant decline over the past 30 years. I did 8 trips last year for 1 mako shark, my worst year ever. The blues were a nuisance. Now there are rare. Most notable is the reduced size. 5-7 footers were common. Most of what I see now are 3-4 footers. All that said, the two largest sharks I have seen were in the past few years, huge. It may be that the sharks are farther offshore with the bluefin, so I may not be working the best zones. I have not killed a mako shark since 2005 and appreciate those who release them. Thanx for the reports.

Upvote 0

surf launch

Dec 27, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    14 ft Livingston and 12'aluminum skiffs
    I remember when (plug in the decade) those who said the sardines would never return, same for the white sea bass, bonita, anchovies and blue fin tuna etc......but they did.

All just one big blue water cycle

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

lowprofile

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Dec 11, 2011
    SoCal
    Name
    chris
    Boat
    Sold it
    About a 700lber rolled into Oceanside the other day.

Lots of 500lb fish closer to shore in SD

Upvote 0