Mako Sharks late August/Report w/pics

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Lionslayer25, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Lionslayer25

Lionslayer25 Newbie

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    Inmar
    Hello all,
    My name is Andrew and I am new to the site. A couple buddies and I, from ND, have been planning a Mako shark trip the last couple years for this coming August. I have never fished Southern California and have been researching nonstop the past couple months. The tidbit that makes this a true adventure is we will be heading out to conquer this feat in my 16 ft inflatable. I know I will get a lot of flack for even thinking about doing such venture, but I trust my boat 100% and have been offshore in AK in seas much more treacherous than I believe we will experience off California. Our plan is to camp out on Catalina and work banks and such around the island (172, 125,152,etc.). Any info on certain areas better than others, water temps to key in on, depths to drift, places to get chum, etc., would be extremely helpful and appreciated. I like to take full advantage of the experiences life has to offer. Even if you are out fishing and see us driving around August 17-26, come swing by and say hi.
    Thanks,
    Andrew

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  2. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    First of all welcome!

I personally have no issue with you taking a 16' inflatable out to the banks mentioned. I think it's cool doing things on the edge, although taking the time to calculate and do it as safely and successfully as possible.

Fishing those banks for summertime pelagics/exotics is all good, but for strictly going out and fishing for Makos.....not a good idea at all imo.

Not knocking on you at all, but how often have you fished Makos? Have you ever boated any 60lbs or above? I'm not claiming to be Joe Mako hunter here....... but I use to fish Makos a bunch when I was in my early 20's from 13' to 20' Whalers. I have stories of what some of those Makos did at boatside, and they probably wouldn't have ended so well had we been in an inflatable.

I had company from Arizona out one year, and I took two guys out fishing for summer exotics. I got them on some Dorado mid day, and later as we were about to head in I spotted a small 60-70lb Mako.

I figured the guys would get a kick out of baiting and fighting a Mako, so I pinned on a fresh dead Mac and tossed it in front of the Mako. The Mako sunk out, and within about 1 minute max, the Mako took the bait. I pushed it in gear, we got tight and I set the hook and handed it to my tourist friend and said here ya go, have fun.

That little devil fish went ape shit and put on a good little show. It did a couple little jumps and then stayed below surface, and just bulldogged my buddy. It then decided to come straight at the boat, and at about 3 to 4' from the boat it lunged at the rail and bit into the side of my Whaler and hung on and shook for about 3 to 4 seconds. It finally let go, and both the Zonies had look of fear on their faces..... the one guy handed me back the rod and said here, you take this!!!

Anyways, that's just one story..... there's been a few different and yet similar as well. Imo, Makos are the sketchiest of them all...... give them any chance, and they will surely mess with you in a mean nasty way!

I don't really know your intentions with fishing makos in your inflatable, but if you plan on getting them anywhere very near your boat while hooked, then I would probably seek out fishing them on something other than an inflatable........ seen too much crazy stuff happen with Makos both outside and inside boats.

Either way good luck!

The unknown fisherman:p:

RideHPD, charger98, bellcon and 9 others like this.
  3. the_tunaman

the_tunaman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Roger Nelson
    Boat:
    Ranger Z20
    Yep... Makos are evil fish, and nothing to trifle with. Back in the mid-80s I used to pinhead for Frank Savino on the California Dawn (Davey's Locker) from time to time, and have seen my share of these devil fish up close and personal. They will chew on anything that they can in or out of the boat, and if you've seen a mako jaw you know that anything on the business end will get mauled.

I saw one that was well over 100# chewing on the keel. I've seen them brought on board and chasing anyone in range across the deck, looking to take a chunk. Also, they have been known to launch (sometimes 15' or more vertical) and land on vessels.

Also bear in mind that our area is one of the world's largest shark pupperies, and that there are females well in excess of 500# found in the area during the breeding season.

If you are determined to follow up with your plan, I'd advise due caution and keep doing your research.

Good luck!

RideHPD likes this.
  4. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    Bad idea!

charger98, Alcapone805, plj46 and 2 others like this.
  5. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Not a great idea in an inflatable raft. As the Unknown Fisherman stated above, they will latch onto anything they can their teeth around.

Your best bet? Call Mako Matt in HB for a charter. You'll get more than you bargained for!

Blackfish and Rimack like this.
  6. Rimack

Rimack Old School

Name:
    gary
    Boat:
    Nope
    This ^^^
    Welcome aboard !

7. Lionslayer25

Lionslayer25 Newbie

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    Inmar
    Thanks for the replies! Safety is for sure the number one concern for this trip. Planning to successfully tackle a mako of any size out of the skiff has been in the two year planning. We have developed extended tail harpoons that are cabled off for dragging the fish backwards while keeping them at a minimum 20ft from the boat. Planning on chumming and sight fishing until we find a fish we would like to keep because the catch and release game would not be in our favor. After successfully catching a shark, fingers crossed, we have tandem tow ropes for dragging them to shore. The new piece to this puzzle compared to past experience is the teeth. We have dealt with multiple 100-200 lb halibut out of the same skiffs as well as orcas nudging us around. This is just one of the accomplishments I’d like to complete while still young enough to do so. I’ll continue my research online and always welcome anymore info you’re willing to give!

8. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    The problem is makos don't follow the plan. I saw a 7 footer we hooked jump 12 feet out of the water right next to our boat. If one of those lands in your raft, it will puncture it. I know I would not like to be doing the dog paddle in the chum slick with 300+ pounds of pissed off dinosaur.

Anyway, be safe and good luck!

RideHPD, charger98, cbadcrew and 2 others like this.
  9. wildbunch

wildbunch MOFO

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    23' "Hardcore"
    I have watched MANY MAKOS bite outboard propellers and leave teeth marks on wood swim steps and attack the boat. IMO fishing makos from an inflatable is Foolish. You are dealing with the devil and the outcome could be a life threatening disaster instead of the good time with the Bros. GOOD LUCK :skullbone:skullbone:skullbone:skullbone:skullbone

charger98, chatt and bassmeister like this.
  10. ?? fisherman

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Harpoons (darts) are illegal to use for private boaters (sport fisherman) in Cali.

I'm not saying this can't be done, as it could, but it's packing a huge risk factor. Some Makos come up all mellow, others are super agro, but pretty much all get hell bent pissed once you stick something in them...... then they go into straight crazy mode and will literally seek out to bite whatever they think it is that's messing with them.

Your endeaver could go well without a hitch, or it could easily go horribly wrong. Personally, I don't think it's all that hard to pull off, but I do think the odds are about 50/50 on it getting pretty hairy!!

At the very least, I would highly suggest you have a shadow rescue boat.... just in case the worst happens.

Since you are planning on sight fishing to pick the one you want, just what size is it you have in mind?

yellowfish26 and Blackfish like this.
  11. ?? fisherman

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Hey Andrew, Some of the banks you are mentioning off of Catalina are prime stripped marlin grounds. While searching out and finding your Mako would most likely be much easier (to find the mako), I would focus on catching a local striped Marlin from your inflatable....... now that would be truly badass and yet a bit less risky. Still a little risk factor, but not nearly the same imo. ;)

12. Lionslayer25

Lionslayer25 Newbie

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    Inmar
    Our harpoons are actually arrows which are legal for everything except a handful of species ( grouper, salmon, swordfish, and a couple others). If we could get a fish over 100lbs, we will be tickled pink! Our reasoning for doing it as DIY instead of a charter is pricing. Our full 10 day trip would be equivalent to two charter days. If any of you guys are out and about those August dates and wouldn’t mind giving up a phone number or radio frequency with name to possibly reach you, I would not be opposed to having as a backup for possible contact. Shark would have to bite 4 of the 5 separate compartments before second guessing would come about though.

13. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    Dude, use your head here! I could bore you with countless stories of makos biting shit boat side, both hooked and unhooked, shot and not shot, spine severed or not. They are crazy ass fish that do all sorts of unpredictable stuff. I’ve brought hundreds to the boat and I would never in a million years fish them in an inflatable. Not one ounce of your plan makes any logical sense at all! Your previous experience matters exactly zero when it comes to makos. I would say go for it, Darwin loves to prove his theory, but as a taxpayer, I also don’t want my money funding your foolish need for a Coast Guard rescue. Please listen to those here with legitimate experience.

14. Lionslayer25

Lionslayer25 Newbie

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    Inmar
    We will most certainly be taking advantage of any and all fishing opportunities available to us on this trip. Would really like to attempt yellowtail, calico bass, and tuna as well! This is just one of those once in a lifetime trips( no pun intended for related shark attack). I’ve been fortunate enough to experience the ocean from Barrow, AK to the Aluetian islands, to the southeast. Large fish/predators and minimal chance for success truly intrigue me. That is why I have spent the past 4 years guiding big brownies in AK! As far as “finding the mako” do you mean glassing fins instead of running the chum slick?

?? fisherman likes this.
  15. El Chiva

El Chiva Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Nomad
    Boat:
    Parker 2120 Nomad
    Def not in an inflatable. Boat props are chew toys for makos.

16. wahoo_92606

wahoo_92606 Newbie

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    18 Panga
    Can’t wait for your report after your trip

HBB and Alcapone805 like this.
  17. REELCLOSE

REELCLOSE Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    25' Reinell
    Let us know how it goes. Your balls are bigger than mine!

18. miaf

miaf Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Boat:
    This is totally incorrect information. Harpoons are legal in California for sharks, rays, skates and Pacific Halibut. Just can’t have a harpoon on board if you have any Billfish on board.

But.....I will try and find the pictures of my old boat that has some serious gel coat issues from a mako chewing on the corner of the stern. Inflatable are not a smart option of boat, especially if your chumming, as the shark will come right up to the boat and do stupid things at times.

19. joel8080

joel8080 Newbie

Name:
    Joel Sidney
    Boat:
    27 Blackfin
    Please send me both your car keys and signed registration.
    Tight Lines

20. Herds

Herds Member

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    none
    The short fin mako is by far one of the most unpredictable and dangerous species we have here in our local waters. I don't suggest you use an inflatable to fish them. Whenever we as fisherman go offshore we always want to reduce our chance of risk or catastrophic failure. Going offshore in an inflatable to target a mako only increases those chances and not something I would ever suggest.