skrilla

allirks
May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Len
Boat Name
Camo Whammo
Before we unbox, let's have some fun. Check the comments left by yours truly.
20220418_092309.jpg

Gotta admire the effort they put into this. I actually witnessed the delivery guy pull up and saw my box from far away. At first glance I thought it was a printed logo. It wasn't until I went to open it that I saw it was hand drawn.
20220418_091938.jpg

Way cool!

Now the initial impression. I have experience with other fish bags and this one is right on par as far as quality. Love the options for attachment points. Of course time will tell how it holds up over the use and abuse I plan to unleash on it.
20220418_092644.jpg

Port side corner opens up big enough to fit any trophies I've encountered in the past. It's tall enough to lay a few of those refreezable ice blocks or up to 20lbs of ice. Even though it feels thick it's always smart to be cautious of spines puncturing the skin. The fish bag companies can only rely so much of the capabities of PVC.
20220418_092742.jpg

Now here's where I'm a bit overwhelmed. I opted for the Interior Eats and Drinks bag that they offer. I figured it would be your typical dry bag big enough for a sack lunch.

But no, apparently they assume I'm bringing an entire lechon and 12 pack of my favorite brew.
20220418_092759.jpg

Absolutely enormous but I'm not complaining. More like thinking about what else can I now bring to eat.

Much like the Kayak Fish Bag it's well built. Strong velcro to close and also roll and wrap for storage.
20220418_092822.jpg

When this wind calms down I'll get a chance to put this to use. I'll keep you guys posted.

No affiliation. Just passing off what I think is a good deal for a quality fish bag. Bought direct over at Makospearguns.com free shipping and only took 5 days to get here.

Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Len
Boat Name
Camo Whammo
Dimensions and price? Did you compare it to other kayak bags before you choose this one? Thanks

Specs and price here. https://makospearguns.com/kayak-fish-bag-3620-36l-x-8h-x-20w/ I paid that price. Was free shipping no tax to Socal.

Haven't compared side by side with the Reliable or Hobie though I'd love to. The other brand kayak bags like Wilderness, Feel Free, Jackson, etc... would be apples to oranges IMHO.

I have a Dakine bag, have had the custom LJKF bag for older OK Tridents, have used many versions of Reliable bags. They're all pretty much similar in feel. PVC skin, who knows what insulation, hardware is typical industry standard stuff, decent stitching and seams. So far I think this will serve it's purpose well for me which is keep fish cool/cold for the few hours I'm on the water. I have my Igloos to use for the ride home and to store up to a few days until they're ready to process.

Reactions: lowprofile
Upvote 0

lowprofile

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 11, 2011
    Oceanside
    Name
    chris
    Boat Name
    15 ft Saturn inflatable
    Specs and price here. https://makospearguns.com/kayak-fish-bag-3620-36l-x-8h-x-20w/ I paid that price. Was free shipping no tax to Socal.

Haven't compared side by side with the Reliable or Hobie though I'd love to. The other brand kayak bags like Wilderness, Feel Free, Jackson, etc... would be apples to oranges IMHO.

I have a Dakine bag, have had the custom LJKF bag for older OK Tridents, have used many versions of Reliable bags. They're all pretty much similar in feel. PVC skin, who knows what insulation, hardware is typical industry standard stuff, decent stitching and seams. So far I think this will serve it's purpose well for me which is keep fish cool/cold for the few hours I'm on the water. I have my Igloos to use for the ride home and to store up to a few days until they're ready to process.
    That looks exactly like my reliable kayak bag. Can’t tell if the zipper is the same or not. Wonder if they’re made in house or both come from the same factory.

How’s the Mako holding up?

Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
    May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat Name
    Camo Whammo
    That looks exactly like my reliable kayak bag. Can’t tell if the zipper is the same or not. Wonder if they’re made in house or both come from the same factory.

How’s the Mako holding up?

I've only gone out twice with it. I pack 8 medium size freezer blocks inside and it's kept my catch cool. Freshwater rinse after use and so far so good.

Reactions: lowprofile
    Upvote 0

John McKroid

Almost A Member
    Apr 24, 2018
    Fort Lauderdale
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Hobie Pro Angler 14
    This bag has the same dimensions as the Hobie/Reliable fish bags which cost over $180. For $125, looks like a sweet deal. That inner liner bag would probably be best kept as a sun blocker draped over the top of the bag. In SE Florida, I use a piece of foam insulation to obstruct noon time sun. It makes a big difference. At $340, the same-sized Opah bag better beat the competition -- You could buy a kayak for that!
    fishbag.jpg

Upvote 0

lowprofile

• Dec 11, 2011
    Oceanside
    Name
    chris
    Boat Name
    15 ft Saturn inflatable
    I put a car windshield shade on mine. I just saw John’s post and this is the best pic I have of it.
    It’s hard to keep the whole bag cool. It gets cold spots, especially with fish in it and everything likes to slide back so I’ve been experiencing cold fish bodies and warm heads… not like room temp but sun bake warm. I added this a couple weeks ago and it’s helped. I think I’m going to add a stick on Velcro strip or something to the front of the inside to attach an ice block and keep it there.

584B06AD-3718-4186-BA7D-B267A7FD7402.jpeg

Reactions: John McKroid
    Upvote 0

lowprofile

• Dec 11, 2011
    Oceanside
    Name
    chris
    Boat Name
    15 ft Saturn inflatable
    Also, be aware that when full of ice and fish it really sets off the balance of your kayak or small boat. This day the bag weighed over 120lbs and was pushing the nose of my inflatable down so much that going with the smallest swell was digging the bow in so I had to put it under me.

835099CD-F610-4CFF-BF6E-F64982AECC34.jpeg

280C8405-CB52-44A6-9A0A-0D7599585D08.jpeg

Reactions: John McKroid
    Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
    May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat Name
    Camo Whammo
    This bag has the same dimensions as the Hobie/Reliable fish bags which cost over $180. For $125, looks like a sweet deal. That inner liner bag would probably be best kept as a sun blocker draped over the top of the bag. In SE Florida, I use a piece of foam insulation to obstruct noon time sun. It makes a big difference. At $340, the same-sized Opah bag better beat the competition -- You could buy a kayak for that!View attachment 1411163

Necessity is the mother of invention. :D

Are you using ice or freezer blocks of some sort?

Also, be aware that when full of ice and fish it really sets off the balance of your kayak or small boat. This day the bag weighed over 120lbs and was pushing the nose of my inflatable down so much that going with the smallest swell was digging the bow in so I had to put it under me.

View attachment 1424412

View attachment 1424413

Same question. I spy a WM freezer pack, are you lugging ice too?

I have the whole bottom lined with those blue ice/freezer blocks. No sun deflector. Keeps fish cool. I used to use frozen water bottles in my old bag and they did fine but bulkier than flat blocks and the caps would pop open when they got old.

Here's mine, bow mounted. Don't keep much as I only keep a few now a days. It does cause more weather cocking but the rudder counters that really well.
    20220905_055457.jpg

Upvote 0

lowprofile

• Dec 11, 2011
    Oceanside
    Name
    chris
    Boat Name
    15 ft Saturn inflatable
    I have the west marine block that freezes below 0 degrees and will literally make ice if I put it in a 5 gallon bucket of water.
    The other ones are the medium igloo blocks. They stay frozen for 6+ hours or at least stay really cold but the whole bag doesn’t stay cold if it’s in direct sunlight.

We also had a couple weeks of blazing heat and so much UV rays coming through I had skirted lures lose color after a full day in the sun, my shirts are faded and had sun burns after applying multiple layers of sunscreen.
    I’m sure with normal conditions it’ll be fine.

Reactions: skrilla
    Upvote 0

RWP

Mar 31, 2021
    VB
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat Name
    Kayak
    I have a hobie bag. Smaller than this one. The ice melts pretty fast in the summer, but it keeps everything cold for the day.

Is the mako bag made in Mexico? That's where reliable/hobie bags are made.

A 36" bag would be huge on my boat, and my hobie bag is holding up great, but in the future I may try one of the mako bags.

Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
    May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat Name
    Camo Whammo
    I have a hobie bag. Smaller than this one. The ice melts pretty fast in the summer, but it keeps everything cold for the day.

Is the mako bag made in Mexico? That's where reliable/hobie bags are made.

A 36" bag would be huge on my boat, and my hobie bag is holding up great, but in the future I may try one of the mako bags.

Not sure the country of origin, it doesn't say. But it wouldn't surprise me if it came from the same factory. :D

Reactions: RWP
    Upvote 0