Mako 264 Boat fuel economy

Joel908

Jun 17, 2020
Los Angeles
Name
Joel lopez
Boat
Bayliner trophy
Hey guys going to reach out on here to try to find out more on this boat I’m trying to purchase. I’m looking at a 2008 mako 264 with dual Mercury optimax 200 outboards hours unknown but says running very well and we’ll maintained but anyways I’m trying to find out more on the fuel consumption of this boat I know online it states it gets about 18-20 gph but I’m unsure how much mpg this gets or how to convert it to that. I’m mainly asking what can I expect on this boat in terms of fuel consumption for example how many gallons will I burn running from San Pedro to Catalina all day there and back or just the mpg in general will help or anybody with this boat who can chime in or even the outboards how reliable and fuel efficient it is.
I have done and currently still doing a lot of due diligence on this boat and outboards but Any info on this is appreciated thank you guys.

Reactions: repo805

kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
What RPM are you running it at, That will make a Big difference. How much weight on boat, People, fuel, bait tank size, Fish bags/ice Chest full of ice, etc. I would guess 1 mpg if your lucky and that's running it somewhat conservative. Dual motors are great in one way, but twice the fuel and maintenance.

Reactions: Joel908

Joel908

Jun 17, 2020
Los Angeles
Name
Joel lopez
Boat
Bayliner trophy
Well WOT is at about 5000 rpm but let’s just say 4000 about 35-40mph for scenario sake 6 people full tank of fuel 198 gallons 45 gallons bait tank plus another 25 gallon bait tank

kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Well WOT is at about 5000 rpm but let’s just say 4000 about 35-40mph for scenario sake 6 people full tank of fuel 198 gallons 45 gallons bait tank plus another 25 gallon bait tank
That's something you need to try on a test run before you buy the boat. See how fast to get on a plane and back down RPM'S and run it against the current and wind and down. Keep track of miles traveled and running time and that will give you a pretty god idea. If the boat is low on fuel and only a couple people on the boat, figure subtract about 33% of the MPG. due to the fact of the total load. Go run it for an hour and pay for the fuel you burn. That should give you an idea about the fuel, how the boat handles, Etc. Then make your decision. P.S make sure to do a compression check on both motors BEFORE you buy it.

Last edited:

Rocket Dog

Tagging and Bagging
Mar 2, 2010
SoCal
Name
Rocket Dog
Boat
passenger again
Is the boat in Fl? Not many big mako boats out here.. No "real way" to know other than running it. You'll only finger out estimated fuel burn/cost. Oh and don't forget that marine gas is much more expensive than costco gas for your car, so use the right price when estimating.

Joel908

Jun 17, 2020
Los Angeles
Name
Joel lopez
Boat
Bayliner trophy
Thank you so much for the info and suggestions much appreciated 🙏🏽

That's something you need to try on a test run before you buy the boat. See how fast to get on a plane and back down RPM'S and run it against the current and wind and down. Keep track of miles traveled and running time and that will give you a pretty god idea. If the boat is low on fuel and only a couple people on the boat, figure subtract about 33% of the MPG. due to the fact of the total load. Go run it for an hour and pay for the fuel you burn. That should give you an idea about the fuel, how the boat handles, Etc. Then make your decision. P.S make sure to do a compression check on both motors BEFORE you buy it.

Joel908

Jun 17, 2020
Los Angeles
Name
Joel lopez
Boat
Bayliner trophy
From what I read the outboards are DFI not EFI if that’s what your asking
And yeah makes sense that that’s the only way to find out and also thanks for the tip on the gas but so does that mean I can’t put regular gas for the engines? What is marine gas? Or do you mean know that it’s more expensive on the water versus at the pump?
I know theoutboards are two strokes so they require a mix but I didn’t know about the marine gas?

Is the boat in Fl? Not many big mako boats out here.. No "real way" to know other than running it. You'll only finger out estimated fuel burn/cost. Oh and don't forget that marine gas is much more expensive than costco gas for your car, so use the right price when estimating.

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
FL = Florida