Okuma

breese

Nov 23, 2005
chicago
Name
Harv
Boat
26 ft. Shamrock Carolina
Have 5 Makaira 20's. One will lock down in the middle of a run out from a marlin bite and break the line. When I check the drag setting it still shows 9 lbs. Running Momoi Diamond 60 so should not be the problem. Don't know what to look for any ideas?

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Can't break 60lb braid with 9lbs of drag so sounds like a sudden seizing of the spool? Or does the spool still turn, but the drag's just way heavier? Hard to get an idea of where to look without knowing anything more. Have you opened up the reel yet?

Anyways, I'd first check the drag washer to make sure it's still lubed properly and in good condition. Then, all the spool bearings and pinion bearing to make sure they aren't seizing. Can't think of anything else that would cause the spool seize up. Outside chance, I'd make sure the silent springs and anti-re pawl assembly is in good order.

Upvote 0

breese

Nov 23, 2005
    chicago
    Name
    Harv
    Boat
    26 ft. Shamrock Carolina
    Can't break 60lb braid with 9lbs of drag so sounds like a sudden seizing of the spool? Or does the spool still turn, but the drag's just way heavier? Hard to get an idea of where to look without knowing anything more. Have you opened up the reel yet?

Anyways, I'd first check the drag washer to make sure it's still lubed properly and in good condition. Then, all the spool bearings and pinion bearing to make sure they aren't seizing. Can't think of anything else that would cause the spool seize up. Outside chance, I'd make sure the silent springs and anti-re pawl assembly is in good order.
    Yes it is a sudden seizing of the spool, once the pressure is off it pulls 9 lbs. again. I kind of thought that something like which you suggested might be the problem. I'll break it down and see what it looks like on the inside. Otherwise they have all performed flawlessly on many marlin and tuna, Thanks for the info and help.

Reactions: Pitchinwedge
    Upvote 0

Gary755

Feb 26, 2021
    United Kingdom
    Name
    Gary Chesters
    Boat
    Snowgoose
    Well line burying is a Definate possibility if it's not on tight but assuming it is, on one of my makaira 50s I had a problem where I would set the drag at 15lb then suddenly I would hear a clunk and the drag was 30lb without the lever moving. The problem was the carbon washer was a little oversize on the ears and this was preventing it from seating properly every time so only one metal drag plate was pressing on it, if it suddenly squeezed down the drag pressure doubled. I solved the problem by going arround the ears on the drag washer with a file to make sure it seated properly. Now this won't get you from 9lb to 60lb but it wiĺ get you from 9lb to 18lb half a spool of line out gets you to 36lb add some water pressure from all that line out. It's worth checking to make sure the carbon washer ears are not binding. Only have come across this problem once out of 14 makairas all sizes

breese
    breese
    Thanks for the ideas and information. I've broken down the reel completely cleaned re greased the drag with Cal's now I have to get a marlin to hit that rod to see if it helped. Will post up with the results. Thanks
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Gary755

Feb 26, 2021
    United Kingdom
    Name
    Gary Chesters
    Boat
    Snowgoose
    One other thing that can cause sudden spool seizure on a reel with a big game type clicker mechanism ( like a mak 16 to 130 or a tiagra any size ) is the clicker plate coming loose and jamming. I had this happen on a MAK 16 and a tiagra 50 w.

Upvote 0