Making Squid

velom

Jul 7, 2016
socal
Name
Mike Velose
Boat
Triton
I put together a LED light and would like to make an attempt at a night run to get squid for bait. I searched the forum a little but have not run across any threads on the topic. Any tips regarding season, general location, etc greatly appreciated. Typically launch from Dana Point.

Upvote 0

pukahd

I’m getting nibbles
Oct 30, 2004
Torrance
Name
Brian
Boat
Cabo 216
What color is your light ? I have found that seals love a clear white color and will crash right on through your squid party but with green they tend to stay only on the out side edge of the lights.

Reactions: Otto
Upvote 0

RyanErb

Love to fish!
Aug 7, 2012
All over the 805
Name
Ryan
Boat
OnTheWater
What color is your light ? I have found that seals love a clear white color and will crash right on through your squid party but with green they tend to stay only on the out side edge of the lights.
Good tip!

I put together a LED light and would like to make an attempt at a night run to get squid for bait. I searched the forum a little but have not run across any threads on the topic. Any tips regarding season, general location, etc greatly appreciated. Typically launch from Dana Point.
Lots more squid out at Catalina island than on the coast. However, you may find some at the coast. Typically squid are in roughly 80-120ft of water. There are areas that they tend to visit year after year, but it definitely is a timing thing. I would keep an eye out for any other light boats in the area as well as asking around with some locals/friends. A squid nest is not always easy to find. Look for seagulls sitting on the water (but not pelicans). Typically the squid should show in the later winter/spring time. (They don't like the warm 70 degree water of summer...)

Reactions: pukahd and velom
Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320

PM

Upvote 0

velom

Jul 7, 2016
socal
Name
Mike Velose
Boat
Triton
Good tip!

Lots more squid out at Catalina island than on the coast. However, you may find some at the coast. Typically squid are in roughly 80-120ft of water. There are areas that they tend to visit year after year, but it definitely is a timing thing. I would keep an eye out for any other light boats in the area as well as asking around with some locals/friends. A squid nest is not always easy to find. Look for seagulls sitting on the water (but not pelicans). Typically the squid should show in the later winter/spring time. (They don't like the warm 70 degree water of summer...)
Good info. Cannot always rely on a commercial boat to be in the area and costs add up quickly per scoop. My theory is same area the squid are nesting is probably the area you want to be fishing too. This helps, thanks.

Upvote 0

vincentek9

halibut suck
Apr 9, 2010
anaheim, CA
Name
Vince
Boat
AVparker
don't always count on a full float. bring some squid jigs with you along with a long handle dip net (like the ones bait barges have) just in case the squid don't come up to the surface.

Upvote 0

charliecat

on a fishin' mission
Jun 2, 2015
Name
charlie cat
Boat
14' -50' , bunch of boats
I've had times where a regular sabiki was catching better than a squid jig. Worth having one rigged just in case. You can put one of the larger humbolt squid jigs for weight at the bottom, or a krocodile for some flash. Definitely not always the case, but have seen it more than once...fwiw

Upvote 0

Latest posts