Making jigs - My first attempt

Discussion in 'Home Built Fishing Lures' started by Rauterki, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Rauterki

Rauterki The worst fisherman on the boat

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    I'm in the market. Make me an offer I can't refuse.
    Got a wild hair up my ass and thought I'd make a few jigs. Bought some brass stock, took a look at some raider jigs and some others that I had and kind of used them as a template.
    Disclaimer: The only thing more rudimentary than my tools is my skill. I have no idea if these things will work but I have a few trips planned for the summer and fall so I'll have plenty of time to test them.
    IMG_3970.JPG
    Cut to length (about 4")
    IMG_3971.JPG
    Rough shape
    IMG_3977.JPG
    Tapered down
    IMG_3982.JPG
    About what I had figured. I wanted the larger ones to be between 175-200g and the smaller to be around 135g
    IMG_3983.JPG
    Still can't believe I got this close to 200g. I really have no idea what I'm doing.
    IMG_4020.JPG
    Nailed it!!
    IMG_4019.JPG
    I got wrapped up in what I was doing and forgot to take pictures of the smaller three on the right while I was making them. The one on the far left is my very first attempt and, even though it's somewhat of an abortion, I kind of like it.
    The basics of the process I used were:
    Rough cut the shape and taper
    Grind/file down the rough edges and kind of fine tune them. Again, I still have no idea what the hell I'm doing so I just winged it.
    Drilled the holes and chamfered them. Tried to offset them just a little to see if that would make them swim better.
    Brazed on the rings and hooks. This is where the deterioration of my metal-working skills really stood out. It's been a few years since my 7th grade metal-shop and...let's just say that Mr. McFarland from Sutter Junior High would probably have given me a C- for my effort.
    Added the assist hooks and swivels on the smaller ones, polished em up and put em in my box. Might get out next week to chase those damn bluefin around so I'll give these guys a shot....

Vernonia, tugasangler, Derby and 2 others like this.
  2. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    Way to see it through. I'd fish those in a heart beat. Pics and report when you get them.

Rauterki likes this.
  3. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    The only thing that really matters is if they catch fish. And if they do, you will have far more satisfaction and sense of accomplishment than anyone else on the boat. Good for you for giving it a shot, experimenting with different shapes, and hope they work!

4. sealskinner

sealskinner Retired Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Franks ho
    It's always fun doing something out out of the ordinary and something that ups our skill set. Fine job.

5. FishinMcNuggets

FishinMcNuggets Fishin fo' Nutrition!

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Avon 2.85 "C-ยข"
    If you're ever up this way I have some aluminum bar stock you could have. Likewise, if you ever decide to try poppers, we've got some hardwood balusters at work.

-Mike

6. Rauterki

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    Really??? Man, that's cool of you to offer. I might just hit you up on it and give it a shot with some surface iron stuff.

7. Rauterki

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    I completely agree. I tried out one of the smaller ones that I made (not pictured), caught a couple of mackerel with it and...I was laughing like a 6 year-old.