Making Bait

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by COSDoug, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Gearhead 59

Gearhead 59 Member

Name:
    Fleetwood
    Boat:
    HALF INN !
    What Riggs would you suggest for making bait mackerel and Squid rigs

2. JonS

JonS Member

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    None
    On my last trip I was using a small 42 gram coltsniper to catch mackerel. It was fun as hell and it was the only wide open bite all trip.

3. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    The 2 hook rig is used to catch salami macks at Clarion, larger hook and at least 50#. Regular 4 hook rigs with 30# for mini macks on the beach, Mag Bay exc... stealthy 4-5 hook 15-20# fluorocarbon for tube macks at Clarion. Small squid catcher jigs or fancy Japanese squid catcher jigs for Humbolt squid, being around 18" (squid size)

4. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    My last couple of visits to Hurricane Bank, I set up my bait maker with a Megabait specifically to catch skippies for bait. Most fun "bait making" I ever get to do.

Yellowtail Dan likes this.
  5. JonS

JonS Member

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    None
    Yep I use a bass rod and a small baitcaster.

6. potuna

potuna Unknown member

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Royal Star, Excel, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster, Shogun and somebody else's.
    We only had 18 on that trip.

7. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Most of the trips where I've made bait were on Intrepid, Excel, and Independence. There was always rail space if you were willing to walk a little farther. Nevertheless, I take your point. If you can figure out how to make dividing the task fair for all, I'd go along.

One issue is, the more people making bait, the quicker the job gets done. Of course there are countless variables, including how the bait is biting, sharks, current, etc. Tonight, we may fill the bait tanks in 40 minutes, while tomorrow you and your half of the passengers may need to spend three hours. That's luck of the draw.

I still think everyone should make bait. Just find a way to space themselves along the rail to avoid tangles.

8. norcaltunaclub

norcaltunaclub www.octunaclub.com

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris
    On my last 15 day trip on the RP, we stopped at the Rocks and made an entire tank + the portable live well of salamis and tubes in about 1.5 hours. About as wide open as you'll ever see it when making bait. Everyone was having a blast, laughing as all were involved. Collectively as a team, we put on about 850+ pieces of primo bait which made a difference and gaves us some insurance once we were further south.

9. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    Its been written many times on these pages to "fish what you have confidence in". Usually it refers to what knot to use, but also the rod, reel, hook, etc. The consensus is that "fishing what you have confidence in" is good advice.

I get a lot of confidence from a load of primo bait.

We spend hours obssessing over what rods and reels to bring and how to set them up; but they can be useless without good bait, so I'm wiling to spend a bit more time making sure that I have good bait to complete the package.

bdubs73, COSDoug, perrorace and 4 others like this.
  10. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    noticed a couple of responses that indicate people who have not made bait before on a LR boat. Remember to always grab the sinker when you bring the rig over the side to head to the bait tank so the deckhand can remove those wiggly rascals. As long as you are putting the tension on your rod by pulling on the weight, even if all of those baits fall off at the same time, you will still have control of all of those hooks. Deckhand is going to give you a smile even if they all fall off ;)

11. mooose29

mooose29 Sin Bin

Name:
    Josh R
    Boat:
    Sin Bin
    I too like making bait you never know what you will see or how much fun a good group can make it. So a couple cool things I have experienced.

1. My buddy Ron and I once saw a very large squid grab and suck under a very large seagull sitting on the water. Took the whole thing under in about 2 seconds. One second he was sitting 20 feet in front of us the. The next we see tentacles come up and grab the bird.
    2. I've seen YT and other unique species caught on bait catchers. Mag bay has a lot of different fish swimming around. Gotta watch the sneaky anglers that drop their catchers to the zone where the other fish are hanging out.
    3. At the lupe one year we needed to make squid and Justin said it was gonna be a long night so he was gonna split the boat up into 2 teams. My roomie Ron and I got to be team captains and flip for who got to choose which shift would go first. I "won" and thinking I would grab the first slot and be the hero for my team so we could all go to bed and not have to sleep and then wake up to make bait. So out we went with our squid catchers in 3 hours we made like 3 pieces of bait. The fishing was so bad that Justin called it a night and told the second group to stay in bed. So much for winning. I didn't hear the end of that all trip and in fact it still comes up.
    4. Last year on a trip the crew took a sausage grinder and made a fish meal type chum. Had the bait bitting full speed we were getting 3-4 every drop and promptly made all we needed in under an hour.
    5. I have also seen bait making sessions turn into wide open 30-40 pound YT or tuna and had we not been up who knows if we would have got those fish.

Yes of course we have had plenty of LONG nights but I find that is a good time to tell stories, lies, jokes, whatever, and get to know some of your boat mates. Of course there is always a lot of trash taking and good natured ribbing to go along with it.

Olddog8 likes this.
  12. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Making bait can be a real tussle sometimes. '09 June Heat, sharks are the sinkers off the Salami rigs. January Accurate 14 day, 2016, it was the Dolphin. They made it tough trying for Tubes.

13. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Steve, I found if you spray paint the sinkers flat black that really helps. If you are on the boat, spray them in the trash can.

sierraazuel, Rodless_Jim and Steve K like this.
  14. richardblufin

richardblufin Member

Name:
    Richard Jones
    Boat:
    Bigger is Better Thats what she said
    when you become quite proficient at making bait, some of your fellow comrades will call you a masterbaiter.

15. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    You bring the paint, we'll do 'em up next June. :)

16. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Found cheap spray paint at Lowe's for a buck a can. I am thinking even cheaper and going to cut rebar in 8 oz. size...

sierraazuel likes this.
  17. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    I have wrapped sinkers in electrical tape when the sharks are bad. But I'd rather paint them before the trip if I can.

Bill W likes this.
  18. Montaukmaniac

Montaukmaniac Thats my son, not me.

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
    Got to love it. What goes around comes around...

Retired1 likes this.
  19. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    At Hurricane one year we floated and brailed hundreds of Jacks. Schools swam up the boat, mates used the sardine crowders (brailers) to capture and the scoop nets to put them in the tanks.

They were the only baits that caught on the kite the whole trip. They wouldnt get bit on a fly line!!

I like making bait. Pour a nice single malt. Catch a few. Have a sip.

Could do it for hours.

Retired1, Bill W, Abo and 1 other person like this.
  20. potuna

potuna Unknown member

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Royal Star, Excel, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster, Shogun and somebody else's.
    This particular trip there was a zone just under the two lights on the one side. 18 guys couldn't all fish under the two lights. Every trip can be different but this trip would have worked better fishing nine at a time. Everybody was up trying every time and if was slow captain would send us off and let the deckhands make what they could, we didn't run out of bait.

Olddog8 likes this.