Making bait for the next trip

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by FishRock, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Tar Pit

Tar Pit I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat:
    None.
    Ouch. Bad move.

2. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    x2

3. zanegler

zanegler Bomboy Lures Are Money!

Name:
    zane
    Boat:
    Skipjack 20 Flybridge, Cruel Intentions
    Pay it forward. Seems like a brilliant idea.

Charging for the sabiki rigs....lame. Maybe give them a bill for each bait you caught.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  4. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    The lame move was people showing up without bait catching rigs. We all know we should have it. The boats I fish on the crew buys the tackle that we buy from the boat. I know, I asked. For them to give out Sabikis it comes out of their pocket. If they do this every trip then the previous trip was donating their sabikis to your trip.

beavisjohn, reellady and bassalbie like this.
  5. ReelDealAngler

ReelDealAngler Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    IMO the crew should have informed their patrons upfront that they would be charged for the Sabikis given to them to make bait for the boat's next trip. I have a problem with making bait for the next trip at my cost (dollar wise and even time wise). I have NO problem making bait for my trip and have done it many times as I might be using that bait as well. The boat pays the bait barge good money to make bait so perhaps they should pay their patrons for making bait for the boat's next trip? Last time I checked bait IS part of the stated service provided in the price paid for a LR trip... right?

G

strictly1 and dh515 like this.
  6. luckylogger6

luckylogger6 Member

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    none
    Did the trip before you make bait for your trip? Did your group fish with the bait you made the next day?

7. XL1

XL1 XL1

Name:
    XL
    Boat:
    www.excelsportfishing.com
  8. Brad I

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    Fair point Blaine. But it just doesn't sound right to charge anglers to have them make bait for the next trip. Maybe the boat should have re-imbursed the crew for the cost of the sabikis. JMO.

strictly1 likes this.
  9. Lake

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    I do think it's somewhat wrong. But if everyone is catching bait for the next trip then we're pretty much all paying forward.

How'd your daughter enjoy her trip Brad?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  10. big dog62

big dog62 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    spanky
    Boat:
    sac-yac
    No, we started with a flushed tank on the way to the receiver. Yes, we did use a little the next day, but as I said, the bite was slow, not much. That's not to say we wouldn't have used a bunch, had we entered into a wide open bite . I don't think anyone was upset about the nominal fee, just the fact that it was there at all.

11. big dog62

big dog62 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    spanky
    Boat:
    sac-yac
    I agree with you, but not everyone comes prepared. As far as this particular trip, I think it may have hurt the crew's bottom line.

12. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    This was an interesting position to be in. When your fishing bait and really need it at 2am there is always a couple folk that don't participate. This leads to numerous threads about that guy not pulling his weight. Can't count how many stories have been written on this subject! But now you trip is over.... You scored! You have limits and very little else to accomplish.... So the captain decides to top off the bait tanks....in our case it's the middle of the day and there is nothing else going on. You don't have to miss any sleeping opportunities...in fact you may have a chance to flex your muscle and talent on some bait! Good opportunities for gathering stores of Karma! But the bait rigs cost about $5 bucks each.....dilemma? Should I use or buy a $5 bait rig to help the next trip? Kind of a new and different situation to be in. What would you do?

johndtuttle likes this.
  13. Lake

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    The few times I've caught bait for the next trip was daytime hours also. When you can't get the whole boat to fish for their own bait you'll never see it happen when you're fishing for the next group. Whether you buy your sabiki from the boat or using your own you're still paying for it.

14. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    I've fished on trips where the only hook bait worth a damn had been curing on the boat from prior trips catching it, as what was available in SD was barely ok for chum...fish long enough, so will you. Guys here bitching about a $5.00 sabiki that are riding a trip for 3-4 hundred a day really don't get it...

15. Brad I

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    Hey Blaine,

She mostly enjoyed it. She's not super into fishing, but does like it. And after a couple of days she had some nice yellowtail in the hold and made friends with the other kids on the trip (the kids had the boat's only blackjack game going on in the galley, LOL). She also had a twinge of melancholy like us more hard core guys do when the captain announced the trip was over and it was time to head for home. So I don't think that she'll be pestering me to go again, but would accept an invitation.

Brad

Lake likes this.
  16. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    So far, the Sabiki thread is more entertaining than the tipping thread. ;) Anybody that didn't see this thread coming? And, since there are no more fuel surcharges, the only other controversial thread might be permits.

Two cents: The Captain/Owner asks you, at the end of your trip to make bait for the next trip should gladly hand you a bait rig and thank you for participating.

17. ReelDealAngler

ReelDealAngler Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    X2... the captain/owner should also note that making bait for the next trip is "optional" on your part, and then give you a bait rig at no charge if YOU decide to participate. IMO, this conversation might best be made at the beginning of the trip not at the end so the captain/owner gets a better idea of who is onboard with this bait making task as he informs anglers of the possibility of being asked to make bait for the next trip once they have their fill of the targeted species of course and assures participants that the time spent is not an issue with regards to getting back to the dock as originally scheduled... my guess is: more anglers will be onboard (participate) with this if they know that the previous trip's anglers did the same for them, especially when quality bait (in those rare situations) is in shortage at the home port of SD).

Tight lines and blue skies!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  18. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    If it was the first night out and you had to make bait to fish the next day, you wouldn't cry over a couple of bucks for a sabiki. OK, the previous trip made bait for you so you could start fishing immediately. What's the big deal? About the cost of a beer or soda? Get real and start wearing big boy panties.

beavisjohn and bassalbie like this.
  19. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    The next boat should buy me one beer for using my own sabiki.

I personally like the idea of paying it forward in that presumably you also get semi-cured baits.

After my several thousand dollar trip, ridiculous tackle purchases that sometimes mostly don't get used, and impending fish processing bill, I'm not really sure how $2 is going to really affect the bottom line. Do I think it would be nice if the sabiki was included as a tip of the hat to those actually up making the bait (remarkable how much elbow room there is on deck during the bait making calls)? Yes, but in the end though it is a trivial amount and not even worth the elevated heart beat.

bassalbie likes this.
  20. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Is there a smiley for panties in a bind?