FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat Name
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Reports from the RP and RR3 saying they made bait on the way home for the next trip. Is the bait situation in SD getting tighter or is this something folks have always done this time of year? I actually like catching live bait even if I don't get to use it. Just wondering if this is common or not.

Upvote 0

Tar Pit

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 7, 2006
    Reno NV
    Name
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat Name
    None.
    Making bait for the (next trip) is a cool thing to do for the guys on the next trip.:appl: I think I read that the big sardines are crap this year.

Upvote 0

talltales

Oct 22, 2004
    Ridgecrest Ca
    Name
    ron
    Boat Name
    2359 Trophy
    Went on a 9 day last year and the trip before ours had done some bait fishing for us. Thought that was very cool. We made bait at the end of our trip as well for the next guys.

Reactions: Steve K
    Upvote 0

Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat Name
    Long range fishing
    I was on the June Heat trip on the Rooster and we got bait... but we used it on our trip. It was the big bait...you got down at the buffer zone. Sometime you just have do whatever it takes to be in the game.

Upvote 0

luckylogger6

May 19, 2010
    Northern CA
    Name
    Joe
    Boat Name
    none
    If the trip before made bait for your trip it seems natural to make bait for the next. And if the fishing has been great I have no problem making a little bait for the next trip regardless or if we need bait and its eazy making, lets spend an extra hour or 2 making extra for the next. but if the fishing is so-so and we spent 1/2 a day making bait(running to the bait grounds, fishing bait, etc.) for the next trip I might talk with he driving the boat. I look at it this way- if we need bait lets make it, but I'm paying $300-400 a day to fish and only get maybe one trip a year so I want to fish.

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
  • Nov 16, 2010
    La Mesa
    Name
    Bill
    Boat Name
    American Angler
    Paying it forward, I like it..!!!

Upvote 0

freegaff2

Aug 31, 2014
    Name
    Craig Simcox
    Boat Name
    none
    lucky, chances are good you were using cured on the boat bait during your trip...I can't think of a better way to get laughed out of the wheelhouse ;)

Reactions: PUDDLER
    Upvote 0

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
    Jul 1, 2008
    San Ramon, CA
    Name
    Dave
    Boat Name
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    I think it was just insurance on the trip I was on. We had already killed more Yellow than we needed. So going to Cedros for more yellow wasn't necessary. But adding insurance for the next trip was a good move. The bait we got at the landing was very mixed. From small dines up to Mongo dines and small to medium greenies. You can't load as much bait when you have lots of large bait. The bait we were catching was just perfect bait. 6'' to 8" greenies. Everything eats those. We were never in any danger of running out of good bait. Andy was on the bait tank and always asking....was it on the Bronze or the Green? All day long....The bronze or the Green?

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat Name
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Thanks. Sounds like it is pretty much SOP this time of year. Tanking up on bait from the fishing grounds insures that the next quys have the right kind for the areas bieng fished.

Upvote 0

strackle99

Mar 20, 2008
    Villa Lepro, Baja
    Name
    Todd
    Boat Name
    The one on the fish
    The Long Rangers usually get the best, cured bait.

Right now, the bait barge is turning turning over so fast, they probably want a little insurance.

Upvote 0

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat Name
    none
    You should bring multiple different sabikis in different sizes and colors. Just pick a few up each time you see a deal on them till you have more than you'll use on a trip. On most summer trips chances are you'll make bait once or twice the whole trip. The trips you catch bait for the next group it's usually for an hour or two.

Upvote 0

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
    Aug 26, 2011
    fresno, ca usa
    Name
    donna
    Boat Name
    reel lady
    If the trip before made bait for your trip it seems natural to make bait for the next. And if the fishing has been great I have no problem making a little bait for the next trip regardless or if we need bait and its eazy making, lets spend an extra hour or 2 making extra for the next. but if the fishing is so-so and we spent 1/2 a day making bait(running to the bait grounds, fishing bait, etc.) for the next trip I might talk with he driving the boat. I look at it this way- if we need bait lets make it, but I'm paying $300-400 a day to fish and only get maybe one trip a year so I want to fish.

Look at it this way, you could spend your first day fishing for bait or the last. I preferably like doing it last, and grateful for the anglers on the trip before me making bait for me.

Reactions: COSDoug
    Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    longrangesportfishingsandiegostyle.com
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat Name
    Long Range and Private
    I enjoy making bait. Sometimes more than others. Whenever it happens, I am good to go. Of course I prefer to do it when the bait is biting!

Do not remember a time making bait when it was not necessary. More often I wonder why we do not make bait when we could...

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

Riccochet

Almost A Member
    Jun 10, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Name
    Richard
    Boat Name
    N/A
    EveringhamBros facebook page showing no dines at the SD bait barge this morning, only chovies. Looks like we all will be making bait. Setting up the next trip should bring good karma!

Richard

Upvote 0

big dog62

Mar 1, 2012
    nor cal USA
    Name
    spanky
    Boat Name
    sac-yac
    Was on a 6 day'r, on one of the " premiere " boats. It was slow fishing, most of the trip was a boat ride. On the 2nd to last evening, after dinner, the captain asked if we would go out and help make bait as the SD bait receivers were running a little thin. Most of us went out and made bait for a couple of hours, but not everyone had sabuki jigs. Not a problem, the deckhands passed them out to those without. After the final dinner we settled are tabs, and those who were given the sabukis were charged for the jigs. Just didn't seem right.

Upvote 0

Tar Pit

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 7, 2006
    Reno NV
    Name
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat Name
    None.
    Was on a 6 day'r, on one of the " premiere " boats. It was slow fishing, most of the trip was a boat ride. On the 2nd to last evening, after dinner, the captain asked if we would go out and help make bait as the SD bait receivers were running a little thin. Most of us went out and made bait for a couple of hours, but not everyone had sabuki jigs. Not a problem, the deckhands passed them out to those without. After the final dinner we settled are tabs, and those who were given the sabukis were charged for the jigs. Just didn't seem right.

Ouch. Bad move.

Upvote 0

zanegler

Bomboy Lures Are Money!
    Jun 24, 2008
    placerville/ca/usa
    Name
    zane
    Boat Name
    Skipjack 20 Flybridge, Cruel Intentions
    Pay it forward. Seems like a brilliant idea.

Charging for the sabiki rigs....lame. Maybe give them a bill for each bait you caught.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat Name
    none
    The lame move was people showing up without bait catching rigs. We all know we should have it. The boats I fish on the crew buys the tackle that we buy from the boat. I know, I asked. For them to give out Sabikis it comes out of their pocket. If they do this every trip then the previous trip was donating their sabikis to your trip.

Upvote 0

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
    Apr 21, 2013
    Dana Point,CA
    Name
    Garry
    Boat Name
    Reel Estate
    IMO the crew should have informed their patrons upfront that they would be charged for the Sabikis given to them to make bait for the boat's next trip. I have a problem with making bait for the next trip at my cost (dollar wise and even time wise). I have NO problem making bait for my trip and have done it many times as I might be using that bait as well. The boat pays the bait barge good money to make bait so perhaps they should pay their patrons for making bait for the boat's next trip? Last time I checked bait IS part of the stated service provided in the price paid for a LR trip... right?

G

Reactions: strictly1 and dh515
    Upvote 0