MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
Hey All, Those who know me know I been workin my arse off on 19.... 12 hours days straight a 10 hour and an 8 hour..... Finally ended Friday and I had to gather my brain cells and after takin a day for myself I made it down to the barn (I live on 20 acres) and tried out my Sinker makin skills.
I had bought a few molds on Ebay and the rings from Do It Molds... that was at least a month ago lol anyways. After a lil trial and error, heatin the molds and what not. I did make a few worthy of hangin up on the bottom and donatin to Neptune and Poseidon lol. I made a few 5oz, 6oz, 8oz,10oz,12oz a few 16oz and a 20oz I only put one ring in the lighter sinkers... suckers are pricey and I only ever use one anyways lol. I ever make to sell I will def use 2.
I am so glad to be back in action and cant wait to get out on the water with all ya All!!! Ok bring on the Thrashin and what not....... it dont take alotta skills and meltin the lead down from tire lead is a smoky stink messy deal. But worth it in my opinion for the price of larger sinkers now adays.......

Sinkers 001.jpg Sinkers 002.jpg

Upvote 0

1:11

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
i love it. that using the noggin. If anybody has egg sinker or torpedo molds for sell, PM me.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Ive seen sportys back in the day use 1-1/2 rebar about a foot long with a ^ shaped thing welded at one end.

Upvote 0

HTA

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 18, 2005
Anaheim
Name
Dan
Boat
N/A
Those are store bought quality! Im puttin in order #1 right now for the rest of my multi day trips this year and rockfish next year. Thats about 100 pcs. Better get to work Mike! [email protected]

Upvote 0

Derfsondeck

DUMBASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 28, 2006
Ventura
Name
Fred
Boat
Poopshoot
Alright,I'm rockfishing with Mikee on the Apollo this weekend,Woo-Hoo...Free weights,all you can lose!!!!!!

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
no fair using silver paint..... :rodent:

Nice!

Upvote 0

skifisher

Jan 9, 2007
So Cal
Name
Paul
Boat
Skipjack 24FB
Nice! I'm gettin ready to make some sinkers as well, gotta get me an egg and torpedo mold. Yours just look awesome. I'll check out Do It Molds.

Back in the day I used to use rebar for rock coding in deep water, a few inches of #18 bar (about 2" thick) a welded on washer and you got quick cheap weights.

Upvote 0

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
I have a small melter my pop's used to make buwets for his black powder rifle. I had to remove the stand ( the mount was to low for the molds) and I screwed it to a steel bench i have, heated up the mold to get goin and go busy. The fumes are shitty and cleanin all the bullshit off the tire weights is a pain in the ass but ya see they are a nice product in the end. I am considering some egg sinkers too.

Um Mikey.... I have lots silver paint left over my brother!! lmao!!

Upvote 0

Clay

SeaDek Monkey
May 30, 2005
Blue Seas Fabrication
Name
Clay
Boat
n/a
I have a small melter my pop's used to make buwets for his black powder rifle. I had to remove the stand ( the mount was to low for the molds) and I screwed it to a steel bench i have, heated up the mold to get goin and go busy. The fumes are shitty and cleanin all the bullshit off the tire weights is a pain in the ass but ya see they are a nice product in the end. I am considering some egg sinkers too.

Um Mikey.... I have lots silver paint left over my brother!! lmao!!
How do you clean all the shit from the wieghts? pre melt/ post melt? thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

DKS1987

@stowereelrepair
Oct 6, 2007
Tracy, CA
Name
Daniel
Boat
n/a
thanks for the info.... I am thinking about making my own weights too. I understand you get the lead from tire lead. Do you pay for it from whoever you get it from or do they give it too you. I know that might be a stupid question but I was wondering if I should go to a shop and see if they give it to me.... or If u pay for it what is a good price to pay for the scrap so I dont get ripped off by someone.

Upvote 0

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
1st use all the old lead ya never use, and all the stuff ya find when your walkin around yer local lake when ya water is Low.... ohhh shit not everyone has that option like me..... I might suggest gettin you a tire shop ya donate a lil fish here and there to over a period of time and I am sure he will kick down. That or Call around and ask, you will probably have to bring your own bucket........
When cleanin all the "shit" out of my melter I used a bent screwdriver like a lil scoop if ya dont have a shit screwdriver to bend up goto a college swap meet and but one lol. I also used the mount part of the tire weight with a pair of needle nose pliers to scoop shit out. I am sure a lil spoon with a wood or leather handle will be fine. Do yourself a favor and wear a pair of safety glasses and at the least a paper mask (for the fumes) I personally dont wanna be sendin prayers out to some "DumbAss" that tried to commit suicide makin sinkers to go fishin!!!
! have well over $150.00 bucks invested in the shit I bought to make sinkers so its not cheap to get started But I am sure over time it will all balance out. Have fun with it and BE SAFE........

Upvote 0

Bank Robber

Hyperbolist
Apr 9, 2006
Merritt Island
Name
Dean
Boat
F/V Bank Robber
Nice sinkers Mikee, I was wondering if you could use the lead from batteries?? Its just lead isn't it? Maybe pour something in the battery to neutralize it and then make a shit load of sinkers. Anyway nice job.

Upvote 0

N J Mello

Lead Dog
Feb 6, 2007
Hemet, CA
Name
Neal J. Mello
Boat
21' Sea Ray 'MelloW DayZ"
Lead from old batteries is a NO-NO - Chlorine gases released will kill you.

Upvote 0

Bada Bing

Instigator General
Apr 30, 2003
PB, CA
Name
JMH
Boat
Always a good one
Lead from old batteries is a NO-NO - Chlorine gases released will kill you.

Not necessarily a no-no 'cause lead fumes will eventually kill you too, so proper ventilation is a must. One thing I did find though is that hot lead ingots look just like the cold ones, found that one out the hard way :D

Upvote 0