Inshore Make sure you have your license.

JFurst

Jul 9, 2020
Orange County
Name
Josh
Boat
Parker 1801
Following up on this - sure enough my buddy and I got checked by DFW yesterday drifting around in San Diego bay. Just had us show them our licenses so they could see the year then they took off, maybe a 30 second interaction. They are definitely out there checking!

Reactions: FlatPack and Groper

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
  • Apr 24, 2005
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    What is it with guys refusing to buy licenses?
    I have a buddy that won't buy one.
    We fished Friday night.
    I have mine. But I've seen guys get tickets, after they've told me they have a license.
    The fine is usually 10x the license fee.

JWJS44

Jul 20, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    One More Cast
    Boat
    Cobia Center Console, Key West Center Console, Parker 2320
    Man that is a bummer. You’re right, just pay to get the license and don’t worry about the fine. Any thoughts on expired passports? I had a buddy who wants to go to the islands but his passport is expired. He is getting it renewed, but in the meantime, no Mexican fishing at the islands.

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    Man that is a bummer. You’re right, just pay to get the license and don’t worry about the fine. Any thoughts on expired passports? I had a buddy who wants to go to the islands but his passport is expired. He is getting it renewed, but in the meantime, no Mexican fishing at the islands.
    If you need a buddy to go to the islands and has a passport I can go! Haha

michael e. bingham

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 26, 2015
    Name
    Pura Vida
    Boat
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    What it cost to keep a boat nice, safe and sea worthy thats the least they can do is play by the rules and be legal on the water , we should not have to baby sit our friends to make sure they have their fishing license , don,t be suprised if you get checked again now that you are on their radar

charliecat

on a fishin' mission
    Jun 2, 2015
    Name
    charlie cat
    Boat
    14' -50' , bunch of boats
    Yah and another thing that would be kinda shady is you shouldn’t have to ask your close friends. There’s trust involved. We all knows the lobster cards, licenses, and ocean enhancement stamp. I would feel like a dick checking licenses from my friends every fishing trip. This isn’t a sportboat where captain is obligated to check 28 to 32+ Random people.

I don’t know. I would feel embarrassed asking my 20+ year fishing buddies for a license. Back before weed was legal we got DFG rolled a few times. They owned up to the weed being there’s and ticket was given. On our marry way. Sounds like OPs should of had his friends hand over their rods and tackle so the owner doesn’t get in trouble. That’s what mine would have done, and I as well. No need to take captains gear just take mine officer He wasn’t aware of me not having one.
    Weed is still illegal federally, and on the water is federal. I would be surprised to see a CADFG give a ticket for something more under USCG jurisdiction, but I'm sure they would ticket what ever they could.
    I heard rumors under current administration of pushing for legal weed federally... I think a lot of captains would be happy.

Ducksnpucks

Almost A Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Long Beach, Ca
    Name
    Ducks
    Boat
    None
    Weed is still illegal federally, and on the water is federal. I would be surprised to see a CADFG give a ticket for something more under USCG jurisdiction, but I'm sure they would ticket what ever they could.
    I heard rumors under current administration of pushing for legal weed federally... I think a lot of captains would be happy.

Agreed. It seems like every sportboat I jump on a few people are smoking herb in the stern or in the bathrooms. It’s such a common thing here. Would much rather federal be done with it by now. Captains and owners won’t have to look over their back all the time.

Reactions: timcicconi

timcicconi

Aug 5, 2009
    Anaheim
    Name
    tim
    Boat
    26' Livesay
    My boat sticks out like a sore thumb, you con go fishing me, but if you don't have a license your not fishing. I don't want to get checked every time I come out of the Harbor

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    If I take anyone out I ask them if they have a license. I don't feel the need to personally inspect it. It's so easy to go online and get one immediately that there's no excuse. I'd never fish without one, and I'm happy to see the wardens out checking.

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    Rexor
    Boat
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    I don’t understand why some people can’t pay a fishing license and worst lied about it. Its plain common sense. Well its an expensive lesson for anyone though and thanks for the reminder.

Maybe its time to ditch those friends and look for new ones who can bring you up and not bring you down😉

JFurst

Jul 9, 2020
    Orange County
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    Parker 1801
    I am not too sure the captains in SD would like that very much, at least the ones fishing south of the border which is a massive bulk of the fleet. It would make more passengers think they can bring it onboard but the Mexican navy can care less what our federal laws are.

charliecat

on a fishin' mission
    Jun 2, 2015
    Name
    charlie cat
    Boat
    14' -50' , bunch of boats
    No, just saying so they can get baked when they're not working and not worry about getting their ticket pulled.
    And there are many captains who don't have anything to do with fishing or San Diego.
    But yeah, true about the cattle boats and Mexico.

Wandering Blues

Oct 19, 2008
    The Land of Entrapment
    Name
    Curtis
    Boat
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    Last week, down in the Gulf of Mexico, we got flagged down by a game warden. My buddy had caught his first legal Tripletail of the season, and it was in the live well. The warden decides he wants to measure it and proceeds to try to get ahold of it. These fish are big, prehistoric, and you can’t just grab one.

He pissed that fish off so bad it actually shot out of the live well and back into the Gulf. The warden looked like a soaked wet cat in embarrassment. My buddy jokingly said he should be given a pass for his next encounter. I said we should tell his sergeant to review his body cam footage and show it in briefing so they could all bust his balls.

• Wow
    Reactions: Groper

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    Last week, down in the Gulf of Mexico, we got flagged down by a game warden. My buddy had caught his first legal Tripletail of the season, and it was in the live well. The warden decides he wants to measure it and proceeds to try to get ahold of it. These fish are big, prehistoric, and you can’t just grab one.

He pissed that fish off so bad it actually shot out of the live well and back into the Gulf. The warden looked like a soaked wet cat in embarrassment. My buddy jokingly said he should be given a pass for his next encounter. I said we should tell his sergeant to review his body cam footage and show it in briefing so they could all bust his balls.
    I remember the first time I filleted a triple tail and I didn’t know about their gill rakes. That thing got me good from the grave.

bob311

• Dec 7, 2018
    huntington beach
    Name
    bob
    Boat
    23' sanger alleycat
    Just a tip,

Any one can get their CA fishing license online now and immediately print it out. So just in case some one does show up to fish on your boat and "forgot to get one" you can tell them to get online and they should have a screen shot of it before you get to the bait dock.

Reactions: FlatPack