Makaira 50wII Sea line capacity

Arthur1

Sep 20, 2018
MA
Name
Arthur
Boat
Bottoms Up
Can any of you give me your personal line capacities for this reel? I plan on loading it with 130 hollow. I have a 600 yard spool of threadloack hollow on hand and want an idea of how much more to buy. I may just buy a 300 yard spool of power pro hollow if the reel can only handle that much more. Thank you all!

FishRock

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Can any of you give me your personal line capacities for this reel? I plan on loading it with 130 hollow. I have a 600 yard spool of threadloack hollow on hand and want an idea of how much more to buy. I may just buy a 300 yard spool of power pro hollow if the reel can only handle that much more. Thank you all!

I don't think you can get much more than 900 on there if that much. So a 300 yard spool should do you.

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
When you install the line, put on the 300 yard first then the 600 yards so you won't have to see the splice too often.

Arthur1

Sep 20, 2018
MA
Name
Arthur
Boat
Bottoms Up
When you install the line, put on the 300 yard first then the 600 yards so you won't have to see the splice too often.
It will definitely be on the back. It wouldn't be a bad thing to see it more often than not though!

Reactions: FishRock

Arthur1

Sep 20, 2018
MA
Name
Arthur
Boat
Bottoms Up
I have 650 of 120 all the 50w sz reels hold about the same
My friends Tiagra 50ws hold quite a bit more than the accompanying Makaira sea 50w. Whenever the hell I have some free time I'll put the 600 on with the line winder to better gauge it. I just don't think Triangle's winder (sc125) is up to the task of putting the line on tight enough to actually bluefin fish with.

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Basil or John at TFT should have actual numbers for you. I would be very surprised it you are not able to get at least 900 yards of 130 on that reel.

I still have not figured out why so many people have trouble getting the line tight enough on the reel when spooling. All these posts about having it done by a shop with a winder and still having the line burry and break on the first good fish. Had me paranoid about spooling a reel myself so I waited to get on the boat and asked the crew to do it. They proceeded to wind on 600 yards of 100 by hand. Had no trouble putting the wood to a 160 lb. YFT. Been spooling by hand since. No issues. Just don't burry the drag right off the bat.

Funny how we all think a bit differently. I would spool the 600 yards on first and then splice in the 300. Hollow to hollow splice has no issues going on and off the reel as it is a 100% connection with no exposed tag ends to worry about.

Last edited:

Arthur1

Sep 20, 2018
MA
Name
Arthur
Boat
Bottoms Up
Basil or John at TFT should have actual numbers for you. I would be very surprised it you are not able to get at least 900 yards of 130 on that reel.

I still have not figured out why so many people have trouble getting the line tight enough on the reel when spooling. All these posts about having it done by a shop with a winder and still having the line burry and break on the first good fish. Had me paranoid about spooling a reel myself so I waited to get on the boat and asked the crew to do it. They proceeded to wind on 600 yards of 100 by hand. Had no trouble putting the wood to a 160 lb. YFT. Been spooling by hand since. No issues. Just don't burry the drag right off the bat.

Funny how we all think a bit differently. I would spool the 600 yards on first and then splice in the 300. Hollow to hollow splice has no issues going on and off the reel as it is a 100% connection with no exposed tag ends to worry about.
That's one of the things that I love about a hollow to hollow connection, 100 percent. More than anything, the 600 on top is about being OCD lol. The triangle 125 definitely isn't going to have the cojones to put line on tight enough in this application. This reel will be utilized in a stand up situation for a hopeful giant bluefin here on the East Coast. An old school bluefin friend is going to show me how he has done it for decades, its not in a fun manner lol. :cheers:

Reactions: FishRock

Latest posts