Makaira 15T

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by FishRock, Jul 11, 2018.

1. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Looks like the square reel guys got their wish. Probably feels pretty good in your hands. (Not in a creepy way.)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Bill W likes this.
  2. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    460 yds of #65? Looks close to the fathom 40n in it’s overall size, so it must be the fat arbor hindering capacity. It falls pretty close to a talica 16 in specs, but not shape which I like. Figure around 405 +\- yds of 80# which lends itself better to the drag stats. Cool reel

Olddog8 likes this.
  3. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    I saw this earlier and liked what I saw, but the smallest Makaira I have is a 20, and I fish that 80-100lbs. Where does this reel fit in? 40-60lbs?

4. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    When I get mine I’ll fish it 50-60. I think Choate has one out right now- somebody said he’s on the AA headed to the Lupe. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

Olddog8, terryc. and Bill W like this.
  5. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Stated 65# spectra, I would fish 60 I like the low gear 17” per crank.

6. FishRock

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Likely spool it with 60 hollow and fish it with 40 - 80 leader. Depends on target fish and the rod it is mounted on.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  7. soopaflyjm1

soopaflyjm1 Member

Name:
    J Money
    Boat:
    Reel Fun
    Perfect 60 lb reel

8. 7raptor

7raptor happy to be here

Name:
    yup
    Boat:
    A Big One
    So it's basically an Andros 12?

9. Anglewood

Anglewood Up to no good...

Name:
    Connor
    Boat:
    Intrepid, New Del Mar
    Yep, when I get one, it will be for 60lb mounted on my UC CX76 Raptor.

-Connor

terryc. likes this.
  10. cow man

cow man Tuna addict

Name:
    Jake Waardenburg
    Boat:
    N/A
    No 3 speed?? What the hell ?lol

11. FishRock

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Jake,

Not everyone is talented enough to run a 3-Speed reel. You are an exceptional angler.

cow man likes this.
  12. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Let's upgrade that to "Special" JAM

Fishybuzz and FishRock like this.
  13. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Jim, certainly your choice to fish the 20 at only 80-100. I fish my 16 at that, no problem. I guess if I had the 20 I’d be fishing it at 100-130 lb, as I do an ATD30T and even an Avet EX30W.

Olddog8, Rodless_Jim and Fishybuzz like this.
  14. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    I have three 20s, three 50s, and a 50W. I'll probably be getting one more 50 at some point, though I don't really need it. My last couple of cow trips, I have gone prepared to fish 80lbs if I felt like it made sense to do so. In the end I never do. In fact, I have never (yet!) fished for tuna in cow town with less than 100lbs, so I guess I should say that I use my 20s for 100lbs and 50's for 130lbs and up. I initially made that arbitrary decision when I first started buying Makairas, based on the published drag specs. I've never really had any reason to change my approach, but I also don't fish as much as many others on this board.

The thing is, if I were going to fish 80lbs, I'd do so using one of my 20s. I don't have a 16, and I am not really in the market for one at this time. I feel (with no personal experience by which to judge, simply hearsay from others who have done so) that if I wanted to fish 80lbs (and I have damned sure been tempted), I could do so just as easily with a 20.

This is like many of my other tackle choices, which may be idiosyncratic but have (for the most part) worked well for me. For example, I tend to use circle hooks even for applications where other anglers often use J-hooks.

15. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

OK Jim...... JMO but you have 3-50's why do you need/want 4? The ability to effectively fly line a sardine is IMO more difficult with a 50 that a 20 and IMO the ability to fly line a sardine is key to successful cow fishing.....the 16 is a finesse cow reel and I only use mine when there is no current weak bait or line shy fish......but it is a tool you don't have in your present quiver.....you may never use it but you have it if you do...it is certainly cow capable if the operator has the necessary ability......

You may surprise yourself if you are willing to try fishing your 20 with 100# and 130#......I have caught plenty of cows and big fish with my 20's with zero issues....sure once hooked up I am wishing I had my 50 but you have to get hooked up first......bigger is not always better.

jiffypop805, freegaff2 and clevel like this.
  16. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    ZZZZZ
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    I finesse better down sizing.

But in theory. Recently I have noticed some are perfect front peddlers that dodge any spool drag or bump from slack to tight, while bait is even airborne and than touches down and swims off. So reel size wouldn't matter for them in the bait performance dept. A few inches of line always ahead of the live bait. Sounds great and is great. But the bait also needs to be guided durring the soak from the rod and reel. So down sizing for finesse works imo.

The human body has many speeds for the reel

Fishybuzz likes this.
  17. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Why another 50? Well, as I said, I am not sure, but in general I use more tactics that are appropriate for 130lbs than for 100lbs. Not by much, of course. But when I can I like to have one outfit set up to fish one (or maybe) two tactics. I know other people approach bringing setups differently, but this works for me. All of this is tangential, though.

OK, lets get this out of the way: you are a far more experienced and successful tuna angler than I will ever be, I have learned a great deal from you, and I hope/expect to learn a heck of a lot more from you in the future. More importantly, I agree with you 100%. Yes, really. When I said I might decide to add another 50 I didn't say that I was suddenly going to stop fishing my 20s, which (like you) I adore.

Tell me, when do you flyline sardines? For me that is mostly from right before dawn until sunset. I use other tactics too during daylight hours, and I will sometimes flyline sardines in the dark to see if the big tuna will eat a bait on the surface. I've had a lot of success at hooking fish that way, and even a few bigger ones. I have typically been using my 20s to do that, not my 50s. And my 20s are spooled with 100lb spectra. I can, of course, tie on any weight leader I choose. In the daytime, as a general rule, I tend to use my 20s.

Big question: Am I any good at flylining a sardine? I don't know. Better than I used to be, certainly.

One thing to consider, David, is what's working. I stepped out of my mindset for a moment and asked myself "is Fishy right? should I be using Mak 20s for 130lbs? I went back over my trips in my mind, and realized that I haven't been on a trip that caught big fish in the daytime on the flyline since 2012. The kite and balloon have produced well at times, and I've caught a few nice fish using a daytime sinker rig, but there have been very few big fish caught on the daytime flyline at all.

I know that's not always true, but it has been true on the trips I've been on. On the other hand, nighttime fishing has been good-to-awesome on most of my trips. When exactly the fish will bite is sometimes a crap shoot. They might not bite at all. But 95% of the time, if you hook a big fish, it's dark outside. You are also typically fishing deep, or fishing a big bait. I have seen a few big fish caught on a nighttime flylined sardine, but not all that many.

And in any case, at night I tend to use my 50s.

True enough. I think my history has shown that I probably don't have the ability, and I have already burned through more than my share of good luck. Still, I will think about adding a Mak 16 to my arsenal.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018