Makaira 10 and 15 SEA, do they have a place on a LR tuna trip?

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Following on some recent posts associated with bringing a pea shooter to a gun fight I would like to hear how some of you are rigging and using your Makaira 10 and 15 SEAs on long range tuna trips. I know that the 10 is not in the running as a cow reel but it sounds like the 15 might get there if setup and fished right.

Anyone using the 10 for wahoo bombs, bait or other duties.

Is the Mak 15 Sea a 60, 65 or 80 lb. reel for mid grade tuna (<150 lbs)? How would you hunt a cow with it during a very picky bite?

Soda Pop

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
[QUOTE="FishRock, post: 4308744, member: 16613.

Is the Mak 15 Sea a 60, 65 or 80 lb. reel for mid grade tuna (<150 lbs)? How would you hunt a cow with it during a very picky bite?[/QUOTE]

I would not even think about a Mak 15 for hunting cows no matter how picky the bite is..... I use 20-30 and 50 Mak's.... the 20 with a 100 LB top shot is my go to reel.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
On the flip side I use the Mak 10 gold and 65/40# for wahoo with sardine and making bait. Rare tuna gets on and hopefully does not last long.

okie man

Oct 24, 2006
new palestine indiana
Name
kerry way
Boat
18' javalin
I was tempted several time to use my makaira 15 at the island . Long lulls, no bites! Changed my mind when the only fish that day was a 265!

Reactions: Jay-Hook

big dog62

Mar 1, 2012
nor cal USA
Name
spanky
Boat
sac-yac
A Mak 15 is just a wide Mak 10, same reel, the 15, just more line capacity. I've caught bft to 100lbs on the 10sea, but wished it was a 16 at the time. The rod you pair it with is also a factor. More importantly, how hard can YOU pull! All fishermen are not created equal, some guys seem to be able to put the brakes on big fish better than others, regardless of equipment.

Don't think there is an application for Mak's throwing wahoo bombs, just to sow on the retrieve. For an inexpensive alternative, take a look at a Fathom 40ld, 7;1.

Reactions: XBDEE

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
A Mak 15 is just a wide Mak 10, same reel, the 15, just more line capacity. I've caught bft to 100lbs on the 10sea, but wished it was a 16 at the time. The rod you pair it with is also a factor. More importantly, how hard can YOU pull! All fishermen are not created equal, some guys seem to be able to put the brakes on big fish better than others, regardless of equipment.

Don't think there is an application for Mak's throwing wahoo bombs, just to sow on the retrieve. For an inexpensive alternative, take a look at a Fathom 40ld, 7;1.
I got a 160# yft at rancho leanaro on my mak 10. Took about 40 minutes, but would have preferred a mak 16 or 20 on that fish.

bob1825

Apr 11, 2007
San Fernando Valley
Name
Jason
Boat
Anyone the fits my schedule
I caught my 80-100# yellow fin tuna at Guadalupe using the MAK 15 as a 60# with ease. I have no doubt you could handle fish up to 150#. Just put it on the rail and wind.

Reactions: etwizard

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat

backlashjack

Scallywag
May 14, 2007
Alta Loma, CA
Name
Jackson
Boat
Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
It was a Mak 15. Not sure if he had a heavier leader attached to his 60 lb. or just got very lucky that it wasn't rubbed off.
Either way, I'd say he was pretty lucky. Private boat too, so he had the capability of chasing down a fish.

Reactions: stephen campbell

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
It was a Mak 15. Not sure if he had a heavier leader attached to his 60 lb. or just got very lucky that it wasn't rubbed off.
Either way, I'd say he was pretty lucky. Private boat too, so he had the capability of chasing down a fish.
I did find another report that stated he used a 100 lb. leader. Being able the chase the fish would be a big advantage over fighting it from a LR boat.

norcaltunaclub

www.octunaclub.com
Mar 18, 2011
Orange County
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
Following on some recent posts associated with bringing a pea shooter to a gun fight I would like to hear how some of you are rigging and using your Makaira 10 and 15 SEAs on long range tuna trips. I know that the 10 is not in the running as a cow reel but it sounds like the 15 might get there if setup and fished right.

Anyone using the 10 for wahoo bombs, bait or other duties.

Is the Mak 15 Sea a 60, 65 or 80 lb. reel for mid grade tuna (<150 lbs)? How would you hunt a cow with it during a very picky bite?
Love all my MAK's...... I think the MAK 10 & 15 SEa's have their sweet spot on LR trips that are between 4-8 days. You can pretty much target anything that you would run into on trips of these lengths. Once you start creeping into 10-15 day trips......these reels would then have a more specific role for stuff like wahoo and yellowtail. Kind of similar with what others are saying, if you're planning on fishing the longer trips (15+), you shouldn't be fishing jumbos with anything less than a MAK 16.....MAK 20 is ideal. Good luck.

Last edited:

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
A little birdie told me the MAK15 is undergoing a revision. Taller less wide. More like the 16.

We have caught some nice 100# class BFT on the 15 but, not my first choice for big ones.

Last edited:

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
my Mak 15 was my go to reel at Guadalupe last summer and I caught most of my fish with it. (80 braid/60 fluoro). And I pretty much only had 50% of the reel spooled most of the trip(due to early tangle and no 80-100 braid on board and no other 60lbreels) I was never close to getting spooled even on long soaks.

I did use the Mak 15 during dead zone times in Feb at Hurricane Bank (80 lb braid to 60 fluoro) and was pretty successful with it. I would not recommend this for the faint of heart, but I wanted bites and this seemed to work. Caught several low to mid 100's on it with no problem. However I do not like the size of the 15 as compared to the 16. It is much smaller.

The problem with the 15 as compared to the 16 is reel size and capacity. it is very much visually smaller than the 16. John tft says that they may be redoing the 15 and making it larger- That will be a great thing. If they can get it to be only slightly smaller than the 16 then it would be a better situation as far as line capacity .

As far as the 10- its a solid schoolie and YT bait reel. The retrieve isnt fast enough for proper wahoo use.

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
JAM,

A Mak 10 or 15 SEa is a great reel for long range trips as a 40 lbs. to 60 lbs. rig on Tuna to 120 lbs. Back it with spectra that breaks at 80 lbs. Just make sure you are using an appropriate rod if the Tuna are over 80 lbs. Would not recommend it for Tuna over 120 lbs. on a long range boat. It would be fun to catch a cow on a Mak 15 with a private boat if you could chase it down.

Have fun!

- Jeff Burroughs

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thanks guys. The thinking is about what I had expected. I have a Mak 20 SEA coming as a 100 lb. outfit and after reading Andre's comments on getting bit in a pick bite I was considering adding the 15 to broaden my quiver. I have only fished 4 cow trips and everyone has been different. I will likely continue using loaner gear from the boat for 130, kite and trolling.

But after watching the hot sticks consistently hook up every year I finally broke down and accepted the added cost and logistical headache of having some of my own gear. I appreciate everyone's opinions and insight.

A narrower 15 with a bit more line capacity and a tad more drag sounds like it would be the ticket for a lot of folks. Also looks like one of the Avet Raptors probably already fit that description.

Tight lines to all and have a great spring and summer season!

Last edited:

tclongbeach

Jun 25, 2004
Long Beach ca
Name
Todd
Boat
someone else's
I too fished a Mk15 at hurricane during scratch bites. I was quite successful, landing about 5 fish 140-185 on it using a 2x4. I was fishing light, with 65 backing and 80 fluoro. The best part is fishing the lighter gear - I really enjoyed it.

The only drawback is if you were to hook a tougher fish. I felt confident I could handle 80%+ of what I have previously caught on the outfit...but the other 20% would be a challenge - but probably a fun challenge.

ripped

Dec 5, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
Vagabond
A little birdie told me the MAK15 is undergoing a revision. Taller less wide. More like the 16.

We have caught some nice 100# class BFT on the 15 but, not my first choice for big ones.
Keep talkin to that little birdie John and let us know if he says anything else!

Reactions: JohnTFT and Bill W

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
Keep talkin to that little birdie John and let us know if he says anything else!
LOL! Maybe at ICAST this year. Penn is making a big splash with two new huge products.

Okuma will have some cool stuff as well.

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Damn! Finally breaking down to buy some cool new stuff and there is already newer, cooler stuff coming out. When will it end!!!????

Reactions: Olddog8

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
It seems like Steve(usually the hot wahoo stick on the Ray Jarvis charter) was using a Mak 10 throwing his Raider. That's not what I'd use it for but he did better than me.