Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
Apr 5, 2020
Greensboro North Carolina
Name
Ted Allegranza
Boat
None
So currently have 850yards of toro tamer 100#braid on there and never caught a fish, but have heard it’s not the best braid around.. so shud I just take some line off and put 100yards of 130 hollow on or take it all off and go with pro spec 130 or 180 hollow.. also considering jb 130.. thanks

Unassailable

Professional Amateur
Aug 26, 2009
San Diego
Name
John B
Boat
BW
What is your issue with it? Have you tested it for breaking strength or just second hand information?

Not following the logic with taking some of it off, either.

If there are any issues with it, maybe contact Charkbait??

Upvote 0

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
Apr 5, 2020
Greensboro North Carolina
Name
Ted Allegranza
Boat
None
What is your issue with it? Have you tested it for breaking strength or just second hand information?

I wud love to have it tested but don’t know where to have it tested.. it’s super smooth like the feel of it. And was thinking of removing some to add some hollow then my top shot. I could be just over thinking it. Top shop was thinking either braid to leader or braid to mono then leader.. just stressing a little due to first time cow bft fishing this October!

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2020
San Diego
Name
John
Boat
Not Yet
I have tested many brands of braid. Most break about 50% of rated strength. Really.

So, 100lb braid will break at 50lbs?

I haven't tested, but if that were true, I have to imagine there would be a serious problem with false advertising. Sorry, but your statement just seems a bit too pessimistic.

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Go fishing and stop thinking about the wrong shit if the line is bad in some way like line rot or fread or something but bad cause someone made you think it not good find out for yourself and hook a big fish and find out !

Upvote 0

Christianbrat

Mar 27, 2019
    Redwood City
    Name
    Christian Filloux
    Boat
    Hobie Powerskiff, Arima SE16
    Reactions: kayakbeast33
    Upvote 0

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
    torrance, ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Vagabond
    • Haha
    Reactions: Christianbrat
    Upvote 0

Christianbrat

Mar 27, 2019
    Redwood City
    Name
    Christian Filloux
    Boat
    Hobie Powerskiff, Arima SE16
    Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None

The issue is that he hasn't caught a single fish with the setup. It must be the braid that is causing that problem. As soon as he replace the braid, he should be catching fish.

Reactions: Unassailable
    Upvote 0

snappereater

Almost A Member
    May 4, 2015
    Arizona
    Name
    Drew
    Boat
    none
    There are many reasons for not catching fish, line, person, boat, weather, fish, water etc.. Need to complete a documented fishbone diagram to determine root cause. Never jump to conclusion.

When fishing bass tmx, my partner would often ask why i never caught fish, and would always tell me to switch up baits, I would, Id tie another bait on the line. I just never tied a hook on.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
    Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    I have tested alot of 40, 50, 60lb spectra using a calibrated scale. Failure is not at the knot. I confirmed with a local tackle shop that the result is the dirty secret of spectra.
    I recently tested 3 brands of Spectra line. 80#

I did it by tying a Spider Hitch(hastily tied after the first one) for a loop and putting it on the hook of a spring scale.

I pulled til something broke. I did each brand at least twice.

All broke at between 37 and 43 lbs. According to the scale using a slow pull.

Not once did it break at the knot. Surprised the shit out of me.

Upvote 0

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
    torrance, ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Vagabond
    I recently tested 3 brands of Spectra line. 80#

I did it by tying a Spider Hitch(hastily tied after the first one) for a loop and putting it on the hook of a spring scale.

I pulled til something broke. I did each brand at least twice.

All broke at between 37 and 43 lbs. According to the scale using a slow pull.

Not once did it break at the knot. Surprised the shit out of me.
    Same results on 40lb spectra. About 40 to 50% of rating.

Upvote 0