Mak SEA reel seat corrosion (new in the box)

Fincutter

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Independence
I got three new Okuma reels this year. One Mak 30 SEA and two 20s. I had heard about problems with reel seat corrosion, so i decided to get ahead of the issue. I took them apart and applied Yamaha blue marine grease. A few of the screws were difficult to unscrew, but they went back in easy with the grease. No problem with the first two reels, but then on the third one a screw head broke, leaving the remainder stuck in the threads. UGH. My trip leaves next Saturday. I sure hope I get some help from Okuma customer service. Anyone have any idea why there's corrosion in three new reels?

Last edited:

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Independence
Bear in mind that this is a new reel right out of the box and that this is not an isolated situation. I bought 3 Mak SEA reels and they all had the same corrosion on the reel seat. The first two, no problem. I just took them apart and hit all the trouble spots with blue Yamaha marine grease. Easy peasy. Would have been the same for the 3rd reel but the last screw broke.

ACCDCCD3-B308-4E6E-8314-6A84AF61F723.jpeg

A33357FF-23B0-40E1-8CA0-3AB385F69101.jpeg

F4D2A657-2BE7-454A-801E-323567498CF7.jpeg

B0014479-0D72-455F-98E8-5256F436B52D.jpeg

Reactions: Texas Tuna

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None
How did the screw break?? I don't see how they are corroded. The Makairas have one of the best Anodizing in the buissness. Type 2 and 3 I think... Not easy to Corrode at all. They also are constructed with 6061 T6 aluminum, aircraft grade (extremely corrosion resistant). Did you buy these reels from a tackle shop? If so they may be returned.

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None
Bear in mind that this is a new reel right out of the box and that this is not an isolated situation. I bought 3 Mak SEA reels and they all had the same corrosion on the reel seat. The first two, no problem. I just took them apart and hit all the trouble spots with blue Yamaha marine grease. Easy peasy. Would have been the same for the 3rd reel but the last screw broke.

View attachment 1198902

View attachment 1198903

View attachment 1198904

View attachment 1198905
I see no signs of corrosion either. May have just been some debris.

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Independence
Yes. Got the reels from Charkbait. Most of the screws were hard to break free but went back in pretty easy. I had to crank the last screw and it started to turn but then the head broke off.

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None
Yes. Got the reels from Charkbait. Most of the screws were hard to break free but went back in pretty easy. I had to crank the last screw and it started to turn but then the head broke off.
They must use locktite. Not exactly something you take off all the time and locktite makes sure it stays in place. I would be very gentle with the screws that have locktite on them, if you put a lighter underneath the screw to heat it up the locktite should melt though. Not positive that they have it though.

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None

View attachment 1198902

View attachment 1198903

View attachment 1198904

View attachment 1198905
Send this to a Okuma rep and they will get you taken care of.

Reactions: Fincutter

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Independence
Yeah, I just spoke to Charkbait and they say that Okuma does use lock tight. Apparently, I'm not the only one who's had this problem and part of the issue is that they don't really intend for that part to ever come off

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None
Yeah, I just spoke to Charkbait and they say that Okuma does use lock tight. Apparently, I'm not the only one who's had this problem and part of the issue is that they don't really intend for that part to ever come off
If you wanna avoid corrosion on the reel foot in the future, I would recommend putting some tape on top of your reel seat (on the rod if it's made of Aluminum) to avoid metal on metal contact that causes corrosion. Then before you put the reel on put some grease on the foot so there is no way for salt to sit on the metal at all. Should help.

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
18' Crestliner Superhawk, 14' Tracker "Fish Git' RRR"
I'd cut a slot in the screw stub with a dremel cut-off wheel, hit the screw stub with heat to soften the lock-tite, then the broken off screw should easily turn out.

Heat is going to be the key part, so either torch a screw driver end red hot and stick it into the slot to heat it up, or tip the reel so the screw is horizontal and heat the end of the screw with a lighter. Just be careful not to BBQ the reel in the process.

Hoefully Okuma can get you a replacement screw delivered in time for your trip...

No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
Okuma does use like tight. The even put it on the lug bolts then you can't screw the nut on. I had to take a torch to the screws and then brush them with a wire brush. For gods sake Okuma quit using that fucking stuff on your reels.

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Independence
I'm still going to call Okuma in the morning but I think that I'll be OK if they can't help me before Saturday. The broken screw is still firmly in place and will function to prevent any twisting. I got the rod clamp nuts cinched down tight and will securely screw the clamp to my rod. I'm thinking that this will be good enough for one trip.

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Tough to see in the pic . Are these blind holes ? If so it's tough to get ano into them .

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Independence
Not blind holes. After reading some of the comments above, I'm sure that the stuff on the screws is lock tight. However, the edges of the holes sure look like a bit of corrosion. Sort of greenish and grainy.

Reactions: gecsr1

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Independence
Normally the holes are tapped after it anodized so it's bare aluminum on stainless steel screw. Good idea to take them out and grease them before they're exposed to saltwater
That's what I was thinking.

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None
Okuma does use like tight. The even put it on the lug bolts then you can't screw the nut on. I had to take a torch to the screws and then brush them with a wire brush. For gods sake Okuma quit using that fucking stuff on your reels.
It should be on the parts of any reel that has parts that need to be super tight. Accurate uses it in there handles and many other places. It's good stuff and does it's job very nice in the right spots.
Not blind holes. After reading some of the comments above, I'm sure that the stuff on the screws is lock tight. However, the edges of the holes sure look like a bit of corrosion. Sort of greenish and grainy.
Doesn't sound like corrosion. Possibly bad grease if it's greenish and grainy..

No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
It should be on the parts of any reel that has parts that need to be super tight. Accurate uses it in there handles and many other places. It's good stuff and does it's job very nice in the right spots.

Doesn't sound like corrosion. Possibly bad grease if it's greenish and grainy..
Then I am glad I do not service my own reels. I would probably fuck them up big time

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None
Then I am glad I do not service my own reels. I would probably fuck them up big time
Seriously 😂, one time I was trying to swap out my a Accurate dauntless handle with my terns and the locktite made me think it unthreaded the other way and I snapped the screw. Had to order 2 new parts from Accueate to fix it. Happened 2 times...

f1sleepy

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
Escondido
Name
James
Boat
Thread locker is great when used appropriately. From the pics it looks like they use way too much. All it takes is a single drop for anything on a fishing reel.

Reactions: F.I.S.H.Y

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Loctite comes in various colors. Red is permanent, blue is removable, purple is removable and not a strong as blue. If a different manufacturer makes it, then it's a toss up.

If you have a electric soldering gun, you can use it to heat the broken screw. Much better than a torch as the heat can be placed in a specific spot, the broken screw, and not damage the frame. A soldering iron would be a much better tool than heating a screw driver to heat the broken screw.

I doubt that the bluish color is corrosion. If it were a brass screw, then yes, but stainless steel/aluminum doesn't corrode with that color.

Aircraft grade aluminum 6061 does corrode in the marine environment. It's used for its strength, not it's corrosion resistance. If you want corrosion resistance, use marine grade aluminum, which is what boats are made of.

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None
Loctite comes in various colors. Red is permanent, blue is removable, purple is removable and not a strong as blue. If a different manufacturer makes it, then it's a toss up.

If you have a electric soldering gun, you can use it to heat the broken screw. Much better than a torch as the heat can be placed in a specific spot, the broken screw, and not damage the frame. A soldering iron would be a much better tool than heating a screw driver to heat the broken screw.

I doubt that the bluish color is corrosion. If it were a brass screw, then yes, but stainless steel/aluminum doesn't corrode with that color.

Aircraft grade aluminum 6061 does corrode in the marine environment. It's used for its strength, not it's corrosion resistance. If you want corrosion resistance, use marine grade aluminum, which is what boats are made of.
Well it does have much more corrosion resistance than 7071 aluminum, it is also used for its light weight. Its lighter, and more corrosion resistant than 7071 but not as strong due to 7071s Iron alloys which make it stronger. 6061 is a little bit of everything and that's why they use it.

f1sleepy

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
Escondido
Name
James
Boat
Use anti seize on the stainless studs and find out the torque spec from Okuma and torque to spec when reinstalling. The anti seize will prevent the corrosion issues that will always happen when two dissimilar metals are joined together and proper torque will prevent the studs from coming loose. If the reel foot is not aluminum, then use a super thin film of marine grease between the reel body and the top of the foot. Those steps should pretty much eliminate future issues.

Reactions: F.I.S.H.Y