Mak and SS match up

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by stripin, Nov 7, 2013.

1. stripin

stripin Newbie

Name:
    Angler Dave
    Boat:
    The Lucky Cowboy
    Booked myself on a 16 day Indy cow run. This will be my 2nd LR of hopefully many. I've got about 2k for rods and reels before the trip. I been looking at Makira se reels and Super Seeker rods. Two setups, #100 and #130. I have 1 good wahoo rig and plan on using the boats kite gear. My question to you... long rangers.. using these brands... Which reels to which rods for each test.

2. strictly1

strictly1 Newbie

Name:
    stephen
    Boat:
    none
    Grab a couple of the new "Wahoodad" Seeker rail rods

3. dh515

dh515 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    For the 100# rig, a Mak 20 on a 2x4 is hard to beat. For the 130, a Mak 30 or 50 on a 6463xxxh or 6463xxxxh would be my choice.

I fish the rail and the blanks my rods were made on were the regular Super Seekers.

4. canyonman

canyonman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    joe
    Boat:
    Independence
    You have made a good choice . The Indy is sweet and Jeff is a cow killer. I'm leaving in three weeks , hopefully it's on. Mak 20 on a 2x4 sounds good . For 130 I use united composites gladiator and a Phenix 4xxxx paired with an avet sds 50. That's just basic. Boats kite gear is solid. Have fun the capt and crew are great as is the food.

5. oac

oac Newbie

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    none
    Sorry, no experience with Seeker rail rods yet...
    Would like to test out the Wahoodad series rods,
    I might try one out on next trip...

Based on my current gear and recent trip experience,
    if I was limited to two set-ups I would take along;
    1. Mak 50 on Calstar 770xxxh rod
    2. Mak 20 on Calstar 770xxh rod

If adding a 3rd set-up to dedicate to large baits/chunk
    I would take along another Mak 50 on 770XXXH.

Good luck on your 16 day trip!

6. redsnapper517

redsnapper517 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris
    X2

7. wahoodad

wahoodad Yaddah X3

Name:
    Choate
    Boat:
    Excel

Actually, the 2X4 is a beefier rod the the 6463XXXH IMO.

I would suggest the new rods, a rod we now call the 3X (used to be the 6463XXXH, but Randy rolled it out to 7'3"), a MK 20II SEa for the 100#or 130# application.

For the 130# or even 150# topshot, jump up to the MK30IISEa, and get the 2X4.

Biased opinion, granted, but I'm biased cause I use them and they work well :D

8. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    All good suggestions.....but a lot depends on what length rod you are comfortable with.....how hard you pull......how tall and what kind of shape you are in.....one person may feel more comfortable with the action of the 6463 series where another may prefer the 2x4 length or maybe the extended 3x as mentioned by Wahoodad..

The Calstars load up very differently than the Super Seekers.....I suggest you go to a tackle store put a reel on the various rods string it up tie it off to something solid and pull ....using something like the rail on the boat and simulate as close as possible the condition of pulling on a big tuna on the rail.....Then make your 2k decision.jmo

This exercise will also help you determine how long you want your fore grip and butt section.

9. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    David, on the "beefier" part, do you also feel a 1 X 3 is beefier than a Black Steel 6463XXH?

[QOUTE=wahoodad;3283101]Actually, the 2X4 is a beefier rod the the 6463XXXH IMO.

I would suggest the new rods, a rod we now call the 3X (used to be the 6463XXXH, but Randy rolled it out to 7'3"), a MK 20II SEa for the 100#or 130# application.

For the 130# or even 150# topshot, jump up to the MK30IISEa, and get the 2X4.

Biased opinion, granted, but I'm biased cause I use them and they work well :D[/QUOTE]

10. wahoodad

wahoodad Yaddah X3

Name:
    Choate
    Boat:
    Excel

Yes I do. When I tested out the new 1X3, the weight I lifted off the deck told me it's a 100# rod. I wish I could've caught a fish on it to confirm that, but we ran short on time.

11. ReelDealAngler

ReelDealAngler Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    Hey Dave,

Haven't had a chance to pull on the new Seeker "MooDad" cow rods yet (congrats on those signature rods, nice color (wraps) and top notch components from the pics I've seen), but I am curious as to why you feel a longer rail rod is better suited for cow fishing?... I can see how it makes good sense for casting/UH lobbing fly line sardines on the 100lb string with say a good free spooling 16, 20, 30 size reel, but what is the advantage in your mind of the longer rod when using large baits, the chunk bait, kite deployed baits, etc. where casting is not as much of a factor in getting bit?

I'm looking to buy and build a Seeker Hercules 80XH blank for a specific surface jig/plug cow casting application I've been thinking about for awhile using a Tib SST 20 with 80lb string and short 150lb fluoro leader... but I'm having a tough time getting past that longer length rod for cow fishing on the fighting end especially if I get hooked up on a private with no use of a sturdy LR type rail that completely surrounds the deck... on an LR boat, the longer rod is certainly not as difficult to work with when using it in conjunction with the sturdy rail, but leverage is still a factor in either situation the way I see it... when pulling on it, the longer rod has a longer bend to it, and on cow YFT once the battle goes vertical (a pretty sure thing), a longer bend is generally not as conducive for lifting that larger fish or in regards to harnessing potential rod recoil lift and then using that force to your advantage as well.

Garry

12. wahoodad

wahoodad Yaddah X3

Name:
    Choate
    Boat:
    Excel
    As always Garry, you are spot on with your observations. Yes, fly line sardines is one of my favorite ways to fish. Many of my big fish have come via sardine.
    I fish sardines with 100#, 130#, 150#, and even that Premier 170#! Yes, in daylight, and yes, I get bit :D If almost everybody fishes 100#, someone gets a bite on 100# , and the adventurous ones who were trying heavier line rack their 130# rod and get their 100# outfit.
    I'll stick with the 130#, or even go up to 150!

Another reason I like the long rod, is when that fish gets close to the boat, the extra length helps the line clear of rudders, sonar domes, propellers, bulbous bows. The longer I can leave it on the rail, the more strength I'll have left for the time the crew tells me to stick the butt in my gut and lift!

And Lord knows that longer rod is a great shock absorber too.

So, there ya go, I don't know about 8 foot rail rods for big fish yet :D

13. ReelDealAngler

ReelDealAngler Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate

Funny how those of us who have been around the block ("boat") a few times and have been doing this awhile associate longer conventional rods with better casting distance as well as better avoidance with other angler's lines or boat obstacles.

Thanks Dave I pretty much figured that was your reasoning for the longer rail rod, as for the 100lb line reference on my end I was thinking the smaller size big game reels with better free spool (lighter spool weight) that work well in the right hands for the fly line sardine cast/UH lob application in the cow arena generally get filled with 100lb string for more overall line capacity. And you were one of the first LR anglers to use the smaller size big game reel with a step up braided line set up so that you could then insert the larger 130lb or 150lb leader when the cows would eat it... so basically your smaller 16, 20, narrow 30 size reel has mostly 100lb on it to some spliced in 130lb hollow to your 100lb to 150lb fluoro leader depending on the bite and you still have 700 yards of main line that no angler could ever break while using a rod and reel to pull with.

Haven't had the opportunity to use the XXXXH longer rail rods designed for use with the heavier string myself yet, but perhaps I will try them out on my next LR trip, for now the 6463XXXH or my 765XXXH are my 130lb to 150lb rods as they have lots of built in recoil (lifting power) in their slightly shorter length for the heavy duty stuff. And yeah I was planning on trimming down the 8 foot 80XH Hercules on both ends for the large surface jig/plug casting application where one still needs to hang on tight once hooked up to a larger grade YFT both during and after the initial surface strike.

Tight lines and blue skies!

14. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    I just received my WahooDad rods at the store yesterday. The longer lengths have transformed the rods. The 6463XXXH was my favorite rail rod for a long time. Then it became the 2x4.

The new Choate inspired WahooDad rods are so different in how they shut off and distribute their power is amazing. The extra 3" in the build schedule has made the HooDad 2x4 a true 130# rod IMO. I never liked fishing 130# on the SS-2x4. Felt the rod bottomed much quicker than my 3x rod.

The new HooDad 2x4 is a true 130# rod. I had a Cal modified 50VSX on it today and put some serious heat on the rod on my simulated rail (the store counter top). I then took the same reel and put it on my SS-2x4. A very different experience. The HooDad rod is a beast. The way the rod has been rolled out on the mandrel makes it a serious world beater. Shut off points are all longer in the blank and the tip is even more sensitive than the original 2x4.

The SS-1x3 was never a favorite rod of mine. And that is difficult for a Seeker devote like myself to say. I thought it was always a little "soft" for the rail. The HooDad 1x3 is going to shock people when they put some drag on it. Again the new build schedule of the HooDad rod changes the power ratings of the blank for the better. The new version of the 1x3 is savage. After a few hours of torturing the rod I decided it is not the 1x3 of old but a new improved stick to fish 80# - 100#.

As far as the MAK match up. Nice reels for sure. I think the Cal Modified Penn's eat the Okuma's for lunch dinner and supper. Other than weight for me modified Penn's destroy the MAK's.

15. spinner

spinner Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mikegooing
    Boat:
    none
    i really like the 80 xh for fishing sardines to get them away from the boat. you would be amazed how much pressure they can put on a big fish. it is not my go to rod. but when it is scratc and i want to fish a sardine on 100 and get it out away from the boat, that is my go to rod. with the added length i can also fish that short topshot and not have to worry about pulling the hok. or in big weather it is forgiving. it is an incredible rail rod. my best with it is 226.
    i also love my penns and the maks.gooooooing

16. Longshot_Scott

Longshot_Scott Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Did I miss something or did folks jump to the conclusion the OP was looking specifically for a rail rod and not considering a harness? Changes the answers....

17. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    The 6463XX & XXXH could be fished on the rail and out of a harness. I think most people are doing a bit of both if they are not straight rail fisherman.

But, SS-6455XX and XXXH would be great 5.5" stand up rods. for 100 and 130# respectively. I fished then SS-6455XXXH for years and caught some very nice fish on that blank.

Mak20 on the 2x and a 30 or 50 on the 3x.

18. dh515

dh515 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    Good point Scott and I did assume that so I edited my original post.

19. wahoodad

wahoodad Yaddah X3

Name:
    Choate
    Boat:
    Excel

What is this harness thing you speak of? :rofl:

20. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Now be nice David lol.....there are some people with bad knees/back or are very tall or have some other physical thing going on that really prevents some from using the rail and the rail method just doesn't work for them or they just prefer the harness.......many a huge fish has been caught with the harness, a world record 405# comes to mind.

Hey it's all good...... I'm a rail convert...... I used to swear by the harness method.

canyonman likes this.