MAK 30SEa or 50SEa

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Olddog8, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Olddog8

Olddog8 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a MAK 30SEa for my 17 day in April but I'm still second guessing myself. I have an old penn 50SW reworked by Ken's, an Avet 50SD, and a gold MAK 20

Any thoughts? 30 or 50... or?

2. Soda Pop

Soda Pop I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David Rouse
    Boat:
    Long range fishing
    Get the Mak 30 SEa. I have a few of those reels in that size. I also have the 20 and 50 models. The 30 is a perfect size for that trip. Spool it up with 130lb spectra and you can topshot it with 100 or 130. I would also bring your other reels.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  3. dh515

dh515 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    Either is a great choice so kind of depends on how you're going to use it. The 30 holds almost as much line as the 50. The 50 SEa has the advantage of the 1:1 low gear that some guys like on big fish.

4. canyonman

canyonman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    joe
    Boat:
    Independence
    Just pulled the trigger on a makaira 50. But I love my 30 and my 20. I also use my trusty penn 50t. Have fun or your trip Enjoy.

5. alan760

alan760 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Mk 30 for 130 but I think some fish 100 or 130 on the Mk 20 no problem. You just missed a sale at Meltons. I got a 16 SEA with 500 yds of spectra and free shipping for $500

6. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Rick,

I have a couple of both. You already have a Mak 20 you can use for sardine fishing. Get a 50 SEa for big baits.

Enjoy your trip!

- Jeff Burroughs

Bill W likes this.
  7. Wahoover

Wahoover Member

Name:
    jack snipe
    Boat:
    Long Range
    You've already got two 50s, so why not have a lighter sardine outfit like the 30. I like mine for sardine baits, and have 600 yards of 130lb. JB hollow and fish 25 foot 100lb topshots. Good luck, have fun!

8. Lab Rat 66

Lab Rat 66 Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    none
    Another vote for the 30SEa.

Joe, are you on the Indy trip this year leaving the day after Thanksgiving?

9. canyonman

canyonman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    joe
    Boat:
    Independence
    I will be there Steve

10. migelito

migelito Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Indy
    Get them both a 50Sea and a 30/20sea. When visiting cow country I would like to have at least 2 50's and 2 20/30 size reels. I know you have a 50sw but your probably not going to fish it that much. Like you will the SDS or Mak. Whatever you decide rent or borrow to fill the gap

11. raw66

raw66 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Gary M
    Boat:
    A nice one
    To lug or not to lug?

12. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    IMO one lug if fishing the rail……I take off the left lug so it won't dig into my hand as I fish with my left hand on top of the reel….. and leave the right hand lug on in case the outfit has to be attached to a backup outfit.

Bill W likes this.
  13. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    I know that the Mak 30 is a great reel. Lots of folks use it effectively, but I feel it's a reel I don't need. In basic terms, the 30 has the same capacity as the 50, but the same gearing as the 20. I like the 20s and the way they fish 100lbs, but when I am fishing 130lbs+, I would rather have the more powerful gearing of the 50. And if you can fish 100lbs on the 30, you can do the same on the 50. You'll have 130lb spectra on either one...just change the top shot.

Bear in mind, though, that this is just my own opinion. I see the 20 and the 30 as "100lb reels," while to me the 50 is the "130lb reel." For 100lbs, I prefer the 20 over the 30. My next long trip, I'm going with two 20s and three 50s. I feel like that is all I need and then some.

14. harddrive

harddrive Wish I Was Fishing!

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    I agree with Jim. Last trip, I hooked a good one on the 20 SEA and 770XXH and I have to admit I got worked. I wish I would have used the 50 SEA. :D

Fishybuzz likes this.
  15. migelito

migelito Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Indy
    Min what do you consider a good one, weight or toughness? Also what part of that setup do you think it was that allowed the fish to work you?
    I use that same set up for one of my 100# sardine outfits. With that outfit once I realized how much bend I can get on that rod I would put it on the rail and lean into it. Then just watch as the tip would slowly lift with each tail beat. Taking as much line as I could with each lift.
    Granted a super or demon will probably be a tougher battle but I know that when I pin on sardine to a 5/0 or 7/0 hoodlum. I will only be able to pull so hard. tilting the odds in a YFT's favor

16. harddrive

harddrive Wish I Was Fishing!

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    Hey Mike. I hooked a 207 on the Mak 20 and for a while, me and the fish fought for about 20 yards. I would gain the line and the fish would take it back, I would gain the line and the fish would take it back. That lasted for a good 20 minutes. And at the end, it may have been my arms, but I could not turn the handle. I was on the rail, but at the end there are times to turn the handle and lift. It's a battle I'll always remember.. :)

17. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    When all else fails........... Flip a coin, been working wonders for me for years.
    Both should suffice

18. Olddog8

Olddog8 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    I'm on an Accurate sponsored trip; I know, an Okuma reel on an Accurate trip, but I can buy two Okuma's for the price of one ATD that is arguable equal to the Okuma. Accurate is bringing a bunch of set-ups for people (like me) to use.

Thanks all for the advice, especially the specific application for both the 30 and 50, I'm still undecided but leaning towards 50, I'm not a fan of wide reels. 30 feels better in the hand though.

19. spinner

spinner Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mikegooing
    Boat:
    none
    its all about application. if you are fishing big baits there is no reason to fish anything other than a 50. if you are fishing sardines close to the baot at night or early am or the chunk line,a 50 is fine. if you are soaking a sardine and it is scratch i will take the okuma 20. just ask fish and soda pop why they hand off so many fish on every trip when everyone else is scratching away to get a bite. i have seen it with y own eyes and been schooled by fishy as old school while i was watching new school. and soda was no different, any time any place