Maiden Voyage - 9.4.2020

Goldenglory18

Oct 1, 2015
Los Angeles
Name
Kenny
Boat
Whoever is chasing the yellows
Headed out tomorrow AM for the maiden voyage on my Isle Sportsman. I’ve had this iSUP for about a year now and haven’t even gotten it wet.

No fishing tomorrow, but I’ll spend some time paddling, practicing re-entry, and scoping out a great looking kelp forest just off a local beach. Can’t wait to get comfortable and catch some tacos!

- Kenny

Upvote 0

Goldenglory18

Oct 1, 2015
Los Angeles
Name
Kenny
Boat
Ok. That was fun. Kinda.

I got through the surf after a few minutes of watching the break. One strong surf-style paddle and I got through the rough stuff. I went to child’s pose, and never felt comfortable standing for more than a few seconds at a time. Maybe it was the swell, and maybe it was just anxiety. After paddling around the kelp for a bit, I decided to head back in. Back to the belly for a hand paddle and I make it back. Only mistake of the maiden voyage was not hopping off the board faster (which I should have know better from yak fishing in the salt) and I get tossed right at the sand. No love lost. That was on me.

Again, I’m pretty uncomfortable standing when there is swell. I have a feeling this is going to be a bays and marinas kinda experience for me. I’m 100% comfortable on a kayak in the ocean. Paddle board, undecided. Next time I’ll head to MDR with a small cooler as a seat and give that a go.

Photos for proof of experience. 😆

- Kenny

726438E9-F323-4D60-B7C1-72577CEEC649.jpeg

9579C3C2-11D9-4BDC-BBD6-87CA44F7DAB9.jpeg

11F8AD0A-7A35-47D9-AA44-2DF4A1B1F886.jpeg

Upvote 0

McQuade Outdoors

McQuade Outdoors
Nov 24, 2005
San Diego
Name
john mcquade
Boat
Paddle Board
Good that you got out there, ive had a few people tell me i make it look to easy bc it takes a lot of balance! For those wondering i also fish off a Isle Sportsman, but the fiberglass version.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goldenglory18

Oct 1, 2015
Los Angeles
Name
Kenny
Boat
Good that you got out there, ive had a few people tell me i make it look to easy bc it takes a lot of balance! For those wondering i also fish off a Isle Sportsman, but the fiberglass version.

Thanks. Not sure this is really for me, but I sure enjoy being out there.

I really, REALLY miss having a kayak...

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Donald W. Clarke III
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
That's Deer Canyon innit? Beautiful day out. Crashed my yak in the surf there once or twice haha.

Are you looking for a kayak? I have one (OK Scrambler) even smaller than your paddleboard you could have; don't know if you would be interested. Everybody likes the pedal drive and/or a bigger boat and I kind of don't blame them. Because of smallish size not ideal for some. Yak, paddle, seat, hand made drift sock, anchor, hand made cart, PFD if you want it. Cheap sonar not included--I'm holding onto that for rental boats in freshwater or whatever reason. Rig has seen quite a bit of action just nowhere near recent and I hate to see it languish. "Wrapped in plastic" and in the shade. I ought to make sure of its integrity though.

Now I think about it I should probably post this on the buy, sell, and giveitawaynow forum.

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Upvote 0

Goldenglory18

Oct 1, 2015
Los Angeles
Name
Kenny
Boat
Yeah, we stumbled across that beach one day when all of the other major ones were packed. It’s been our go-to ever since.

No thanks on the yak. The whole reason I don’t have one today is a lack of storage space...

Upvote 0

bufadora

Apr 13, 2011
Santa Cruz
Name
darren gertler
Boat
Sorenson 15 - catamaran
Try it again, on a greasy day. SUP fishing gets a lot easier with practice. Dont look down and you should be more stable. Also with a tiny bit of practice it should get easier. I am not sure what fins yours has but a longer fin has helped on mine.

Reactions: Goldenglory18
Upvote 0

McQuade Outdoors

McQuade Outdoors
Nov 24, 2005
San Diego
Name
john mcquade
Boat
Paddle Board
Try it again, on a greasy day. SUP fishing gets a lot easier with practice. Dont look down and you should be more stable. Also with a tiny bit of practice it should get easier. I am not sure what fins yours has but a longer fin has helped on mine.

i run a very large SUP center fin and 2 small side bites(larger side bites would help). Im not sure if you can change the fins out for other standard fins on the inflatables though?

Upvote 0

Goldenglory18

Oct 1, 2015
Los Angeles
Name
Kenny
Boat
Yeah I can. The Isle Sportsman has two fixed side bites and a removable center fin. I just replaced my wife’s center with a 9” and might try that one on mine at some point. I’m not going anywhere fast on this pig so a bigger fin is a great idea.

Reactions: McQuade Outdoors
Upvote 0

McQuade Outdoors

McQuade Outdoors
Nov 24, 2005
San Diego
Name
john mcquade
Boat
Paddle Board
Yeah I can. The Isle Sportsman has two fixed side bites and a removable center fin. I just replaced my wife’s center with a 9” and might try that one on mine at some point. I’m not going anywhere fast on this pig so a bigger fin is a great idea.

Ya ive got the 9 or 10" SUP center fin, its almost a rectangle, but adds to stability and tracking.

Upvote 0