Maiden at PV, Shoe 12-12

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Kman, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Kman

Kman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
    Well I went and did it. I picked up a new (to me) boat. It's a 2013 Robalo R180/F115 with 102 hours that until today has never seen saltwater. Save for the last few years, I’ve owned boats nonstop since 1976. Since we’re gonna be in Calif a few more years. I figured what the hell.

After adding 2 grp 29 batteries and an all new dual battery setup, 12 rod holders, performing the 100 hour service, rewiring the back half of the boat, installing an ICOM 506 w/AIS and installing a light to tell me when the bilge was running, I was ready for the maiden. I picked up Steve (Ssrmr2) at his house. I've been whoring on his Whaler lately, so it was time for me to return the favor.

We launched from Davies and headed for PV. There was a fair north wind blowing up some chop in the harbor, but the 3000+# 18 footer pushed through it with ease and the very tall gunnels kept us dry.

The meter lit up on our first stop, and it wasn't long before I caught the new Trailer Trash's first fish--a 4# calico. We bounced around from rock to rock up past Rocky Point where there was a fair NW wind starting to blow. We didn't stay there long as, while we were metering fish, they would not bite despite there being a decent current and 63 deg water.

We rock hopped our way back and ended up at the shoe, where we hit several rocks for not much. Then we hit a special spot that added 3 or 4 sandies to the count.

As soon as we entered Alimitos channel, Steve grabbed a bucket and the boat brush and went to town on the deck. Nice when your guest spent some time as a deckhand on the RR III. Thank you Steve. Putting the boat back on the trailer was a snap. It self centers and easily motors up to the winch.

Totals: 20 bass to 4#. 5 or so Johnny bass and a goat (that was kept for dinner). Current was uphill, downhill and in depending where you were. Wind was not a factor. Temps only ranged a couple degrees, from 61-63 degrees all day. All fish were caught on Kman Special leadheads and swimbaits. We had a few very short cuda chase our Snipers, but none connected. We caught several of our bass suspended in the column today. Casting out, letting it drop, then slow grinding in was not productive today. Fishing was very slow today, but I didn't care one bit as the weather was awesome and everything about the boat was working perfectly.

The boat was everything I'd hoped it would be. After owning a Bayrunner for over ten years, and whoring on smaller boats, I'm getting to an age where it's no fun coming home all beat up and wind burned. This Robalo is smooth riding, and the windshield on that BIG HONKING potty console keeps the wind off you. The Yammy 115 won't win any speed contests, but we managed 36-38 MPH at 5600 RPM. The Yammy ran like a sewing machine...

The plan is to set her up with a 12" MFD with CHIRP and 3D structure scan, AIS, Radar, AP, GPS enabled trolling motor and a 1-scoop bait tank under the bench seat. The hard part is choosing which MFD to get. That new Furuno sure looks good, but damn, they just came out this year and I don’t want to be their beta tester.

No neener neeners as this boat probably gets 4 or so MPG. I did not fill her up, as I want to use up all the Utah ethanol free unknown age gas, then start corroding the tank properly with our local swill.

Once again, we didn't sink the boat or get arrested or towed. It was a great day on the water with a good friend.

In the coming weeks and months, I will be looking for new faces to fish with. Prefer experienced, reliable fishermen who can meet at my home in Diamond Bar, share expenses, yada yada. PM me if interested.

Some pics. I don't seem able to place them in text when typing in Windows.

IMG_0526.JPG IMG_0524.JPG IMG_0527.JPG IMG_0528.JPG IMG_0529.JPG IMG_0530.JPG IMG_0531.JPG IMG_0532.JPG FF1A1839-D96B-40BB-AE4B-8CC1679EA238.jpeg DD1309A4-058E-4273-BA0E-D42DA1844925.jpeg EF5C15E3-D12F-4FFE-B2F4-65AD1F19A183.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  2. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    So glad you are stoked on your new boat! Glad all went smooth!!

3. RockyGizmo

RockyGizmo Member

Name:
    Alexei
    Boat:
    Cattle Boats from all over California
    Great fishing trip and ‘new’ boat report... nice pics too.
    Seemed like you both knew what you were doing... that really helps.

I’ve been fishing with rookie relatives lately; nothing like a sculpin swishing by your ear because it was whipped into the boat by an excited teenager (who did learn how to handle and release them).

Looking forward to hearing about more of your most excellent fishing trips.
    Thanks for sharing.

boxofrain likes this.
  4. Cheech

Cheech Member

Name:
    Jeff Cheechov
    Boat:
    Skipjack 24FB, AD41P diesel
    Congrats on the new ride and a successful maiden run. It feels good to get through that first long 'must do' list and get a few hours on the water. Take a look at the Simrad MDF packages. There is plenty of chatter here on the boat forums too. And thanks for posting the report.

5. USMCfish

USMCfish USMC-FISH

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Tuna Can
    NICE SLED Congrats!

6. Croaker.Stroker

Croaker.Stroker Old White Guy

Name:
    Croaker
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Pacer
    Nice boat. Wireing job looks clean. You can come over and re-wire mine next.

tmines likes this.
  7. RedBoatBob

RedBoatBob Member

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    Kingfisher 2625 Coastal Express
    The new boat is badass! Excellent choice....

8. John S.

John S. Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
    Really nice boat. You did a great job on the wiring and overall set up. Nice Calicos. Great boat to fly fish off of. Like the front.

John

9. ssrmr2

ssrmr2 Member

Name:
    STEVE
    Boat:
    17' montauk "Anger Management"
    thanks again for kurt for the invite to go fishing/deck. weather was perfect.

10. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    She looks clean Kman. What are you going to name her?

Congratulations!

11. finsane

finsane I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dennis
    Boat:
    None
    New adventures on a new ride, look forward to reading about them.

12. Kman

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    Thanks. I used to rewire boats for side money back in the day. Robalo didn’t make the job easy. My boat was wired (and plumbed) as a bare hull, then the liner was installed, making access after the fact a real ball buster. No thought seems to have been given to ever servicing the busses, circuit breakers, etc, that are now behind bulkheads or panels. I became quite adept at using a telescoping pointer with a mirror attached to see what the hell they did. This setup could NEVER have been troubleshooted on the water.

Yamaha recommends #4 battery cable minimum for runs under 10’. I was disappointed (but not surprised) to find #6 (SAE no less), un tinned, (relatively) thickly stranded wire. I can only imagine the voltage drop when the starter was engaged. I guess it was CG approved, but it wasn’t up to my standards, so it all went in the trash and I installed my standard dual battery setup using tried and true marine components and wire that are now visible and can be troubleshot.

Here is sample wire. The top one is the factory wire.

AB6F538E-00CA-4106-B016-1E0CECAA41B4.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  13. BornFisher

BornFisher Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bill Fisher
    Boat:
    18' Bayliner Trophy, cuddy
    Congrats Kurt! Way to shake it down and that first fish is an indication of what`s coming!!

14. Kman

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    Though she looks showroom new, I gotta stick with Trailer Trash since I’ve owned boats by that name since the early 1980s. I plan to justify the name with on-the-water behavior ;)

One_Leg, bman440440 and kookfarmer like this.
  15. watersdeep

watersdeep I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jed Venture
    Boat:
    the twisted ducker
    Your stoke is a bit infectious. keep it up!

16. mark johnsen

mark johnsen Ichthus

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Blue J
    Congrats on the new ride! Looks awesome! Nice goat too....

17. beerman1

beerman1 Member

Name:
    eric
    Boat:
    triumph 17 CC
    I've been waiting for this thread...Congrads on the new boat Kurt. She's a beauty. I'll see ya out there.

18. Ricola77

Ricola77 Fish On

Name:
    Rico
    Boat:
    Anything that floats
    Congrats on the new boat Kman and thank you for sharing

19. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Been waiting for this post since you got the boat. Congratulations on the successful first trip.

I think you might want to consider adding a top. I have a similar boat and always thought the top gave me decent sun protection in the summer, while still allowing enough wind through to not feel hot. It also allows for a radar.

Have fun searching for electronics. Lots of choices. I ultimately went with the Garmin 51M-TH with a 10 inch. The screen is a little small but it does the job, can look down to 700 feet in calm current, 400 or so in rough, which is easily enough for what we fish in California.

20. pacificscout

pacificscout Hey! You got any frozen ice?

Name:
    Wally
    Boat:
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Sweet sled there Kman.
    I have been following your quest and this is quite a treat.