Mahi at U

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by secure303, Nov 5, 2012.

1. secure303

secure303 Newbie

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    The Hobie
    Hey everybody, went out fishing on Saturday morning. Left Heeia kea a little before 5:00am. The plan was to go out to Mokumanu and try and pull up some opelu as the sun rises and then take them out to LL to live bait. It was a nice calm ride out to Mokumanu but we couldn't bring up any opelu off the buoys there so we decided to change the plans and went over to U buoy to fish. On our first pass by U we hooked up with a 10lb mahi. We made some additional passes but did not get any more bites. From there we went to the 1000 but eventually decided to go back to U. As we trolled past U we saw the entire school of Mahi just hanging out about 10 feet below the surface. We trolled past them a couple of times with no luck, then approached the buoy and tried jigging, still no luck, then we cut the belly out of the mahi we caught and placed it on hooks near them but still no luck! After about two hours of trying to get them to bite we headed in but I gotta say it was no fun to leave a school of fish without taking a few more. I'm glad we caught the one but wanted to see if anyone has encountered this before and what is recommended to get them biting? I've had followers before that would not bite bait we threw in near them either. Sorry no picture of the mahi, and thanks for any thoughts on this.

2. jma1978

jma1978 Bird Catcher

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    24' Yellowfin
    I think that's just part of fishing. I've found that after the first pass with lures, the mahi won't bite. Hopefully get one or two, then head off and look for more. They get lockjaw after that first pass, so sticking around is just wasting time.

3. navyaircrew

navyaircrew Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
    sardines with 3/0 hooks and 30lb test... when finicky, go lighter.... when full moon.... stay home!

4. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Those opelu, especially alive, would probably have done the trick. Good going on what you got.

Jonny

5. themenehune

themenehune Newbie

Name:
    kenny
    Boat:
    menehune
    bring one box saba!!

6. rsokolowski

rsokolowski Newbie

Name:
    Roy Sokolowski
    Boat:
    currently boatless
    try bringing a box of frozen Ika, or some other type of frozen bait. Live Opelu (or Akule) would have been great, fresh dead Opelu/Akule is the next best, frozen Opelu/Akule in the next, next best, and any other frozen bait after that.

7. zanegrange2

zanegrange2 Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    flight risk
    chunks,chunks and more chunks.........

8. Irunthedeck

Irunthedeck Gilligan

Name:
    Jack
    Boat:
    Friends's boat
    Maybe slow troll and wait for tide change, then bait 'em ?