Mahalo

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Fishing Reports Forum' started by all_bent, Feb 8, 2011.

1. all_bent

all_bent Newbie

Name:
    all bent
    Boat:
    25 Lightnin Radon
  2. dausualinc

dausualinc Newbie

Name:
    Kekoa
    Boat:
    30' Knife
    Wow that picture is grim

3. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Yeah, that definitely is a gloomy picture. The boat must have been pretty big and moving at a decent speed. What a bummer.

4. Morris Lures

Morris Lures Pirate

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    FORCE 21
    that pic was pretty crazy. bet there will be some big eyes and mahis around once it dies.

5. SloTroller

SloTroller Newbie

Name:
    Dean
    Boat:
    McKee Craft Southporter 17.5', MaryTime
    It could be the whale was already in dire straits when it was struck.

A healthy whale would have heard trouble coming a long way off and gotten out of the way. If that weren't true, we'd see a lot more whales getting hit.

6. popoki

popoki Newbie

Name:
    Quintin
    Boat:
    "Ho'oKele" 26 Alii Kai
    woa buddy! why gotta be some asshole? not guarantee anything.... every bodies so quick to blame today. could it be maybe a another whale landed on this one? that is what they do. possible it was in distress before it became injured. I say this because they don't get sun burn that easy and this one was fried! who knows lets wait and see.

7. all_bent

all_bent Newbie

Name:
    all bent
    Boat:
    25 Lightnin Radon
    for a boat to have hit that whale it would have either had been following close to the whale on purpose or traveling at a high rate of speed. obviously someone had hit it and didnt report it... no matter what this is no good for us as the whale sanctuary and proposed speed limits within it are being brought up..

+1 for the whale guys

8. SloTroller

SloTroller Newbie

Name:
    Dean
    Boat:
    McKee Craft Southporter 17.5', MaryTime
    If you have ever seen the whale skeleton at the Bishop Museum, you'll immediately see how large a whale's spine is. The central part of the vertebra is about the diameter of a coconut tree.

To break that, especially with all the muscles and ligaments involved, would require a huge amount of force.

More likely the whale was long dead and is decomposing. Since we can't see what's underneath the whale, it's probably being eaten by sharks and beginning to collapse.

What we see in the photo could just be bones, some tougher tissue, and skin. The rest is probably gone.

Maybe a boat hit it. But if so the chances are the whale was already dead and beginning to fall apart.

9. popoki

popoki Newbie

Name:
    Quintin
    Boat:
    "Ho'oKele" 26 Alii Kai
    the boats that work the coast are built of fiberglass and the biggest is 65' if anybody hit this they would have been either thrown around or holed, to the point where they couldn't hide it.
    I was out there all morning long Mon until bout 130pm and couldn't find this whale.
    If it was struck it wasn't by a tour or charter boat.

10. CALICOWHISPERER

CALICOWHISPERER Vintage Rod Enthusiast

Name:
    R&R
    Boat:
    Triple 7 38,000 feet above sea level
    Submarine hit & run Brah!

11. pepekauai

pepekauai Newbie

Name:
    Pepe
    Boat:
    21 Force

This poor whale was still alive on Monday when the photos were taken. Some of the shots clearly show the whale still breathing. From the amount of skin decay I think the whale was injured weeks ago maybe in the shipping lanes outside Hawaiian waters. Once it dies supposedly it will sink to the bottom then fill with decomposition gasses and float back up.

12. ALOHABIRD

ALOHABIRD Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    22+2 Grady White ShaniaRegina
    No Reports of any Boat hitting a Whale here on Kauai! Any rate it had to have been a Big Ass Ship! Lots of Navy Ships and Subs been in Kauai Channel past weeks doing operations! Don't Point Fingers till you get the Facts! all bent and Tree huggers, Sanctuary idiots too!!!

13. Smudge

Smudge Moderate

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    I'm just a deckhand...
    Wasn't me...

14. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
  15. jonesd055

jonesd055 Newbie

Name:
    Jonesy
    Boat:
    20', Calais, Shilelagh Law
    No way, it was the Super Ferry. They drove it all the way from where ever it is now , the mainland, Caribbean or Central America rammed the whale then drove it back-thats how evil that thing is, damn Super Ferry!

Thanks to all the cry babies who got rid of the best thing that happened to this State in a long time. I miss you Super Ferry!

Aloha,
    Jonesy

16. ta'apeslayer

ta'apeslayer Newbie

Name:
    Rich
    I miss the Super Ferry

17. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Newbie

Name:
    Steve L
    Boat:
    Kathy Anne
    Common you guys, the whale get scoliosis! Don't blame boaters because the enviros will pick this up and keep trying to limit our right to fish.

18. JUDE SCHWARZE

JUDE SCHWARZE Newbie

Name:
    KAUAI50
    Boat:
    31 BERTRAM.
    Its very common for those who have issues to use hyperdramatic images to obtain the results they want. We as fisherman and ocean users have no agenda, no staff or budget and no purpose other than to enjoy the life God has given us and use our gifts to thrive. Over the years it occurs and reoccurs that form dead chickens, pidgins, dogs, fish, whales, porpoise pandas, gorillas, and any other animal "in need" the animal in distress is an attention getter and serves the purpose of those with agendas ie: the Robinson family monkseal. The underlying truth is these incidents are happening because the populations are, in most cases, expanding. No one is hunting whales and everyone, a few foreign countries excluded, is doing everything, often too much, to help them. The whale populations has been expanding and is growing at a very comfortable rate leaving the humpback and other whale populations thriving. Of the 871 US flagged whaling ships in the late 1800 there are now none, zero, nill, not one!!

It was a nice headline and a glorious piece of propaganda for those with an agenda but for the rest of us it is a reminder that there are more whales than there has been in 150 years. It reminds us that there are people who make their living form the sea and their are people who make their living from the tax dollars taken from those who make their living from the sea. Then there are those who don't care either way but are swayed by daunting pictures used in a reckless and irresponsible way to manipulate public opinion to get a desired result. These are the ones with an agenda, a budget and a staff. This photo and this topic is the reminder for the rest of us to use our heads and stay focused on the
    course. The reality is that we who use the ocean are the stewards of this ocean and willingly do the right thing every day as it is our ocean. The Sanctuary has an agenda to make itself needed. It has to continually justify itself which is an ever more difficult task since the turtles are thriving the whales are thriving and the monkseals are moving in new and promising direction (POIPU). The lets protect everything all the time crowd needs to quit milking the hog and get a reality check. If you want to save the world start getting rid of people. Other than that start by getting a job.

As far as speed limits in the sanctuary my answer for so many reasons is limit the sanctuary. I saw about 35 five whales today off the south side of the island of Kauai and they where having a ball! I wasn't looking for them I was looking out for them!

19. jonesd055

jonesd055 Newbie

Name:
    Jonesy
    Boat:
    20', Calais, Shilelagh Law

AMEN...

20. popoki

popoki Newbie

Name:
    Quintin
    Boat: