motofshr

Jan 6, 2020
Coos Bay Oregon
Name
Rick Papa
Boat
IthinkIcan
Greetings from Coos Bay Oregon
Will be my first trip to Magdalena Bay coming up in March, probably concentrating on throwing a fly in the Esteros/Mangroves, I'll have a 12' aluminium skiff, any recommendations for type of Anchor, I use a 14lb pyramid here in Oregon on the river..., gravel bottom 2-4knts... will this work for the tidal currents.
Also would appreciate any other guidance for this bucket list trip....
Thanks ... Keepem tight

thehatpd

Oct 1, 2007
Palm Desert, CA
Name
jim
Boat
none
Fishing with small baitcasting and some spinning reels....would like to catch a variety of fish and lots of them...not interested in offshore...have stuff for live bait and trolling if necessary, but I like throwing hard baits, swim baits, etc...

Reactions: alldaylong

motofshr

Jan 6, 2020
Coos Bay Oregon
Name
Rick Papa
Boat
IthinkIcan
We don't anchor here , drifting is better so you won't drag the under water structure with you ! How long will you be here? Email me and I'll give you the skinny!!!! [email protected] .net . You'll love your trip.
Avery,, appreciate your reply regarding anchors, I get it... and will refrain, makes sense..thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to getting that Baja feeling again, we will be down for around a month.
Will take you up on your gracious offer for "the skinny" ...

Keepem tight

1morefishwy

Dec 20, 2011
Casper, WY USA
Name
Steve
Boat
Ranger
Going in June....any tackle ideas for fishing inshore...thanks
We were at Lopez Mateo in December. Live bait is best if you can get it. These were sardines I think. We were able to get it every day with some difficulty. (locals using cast nets). Most of our bigger fish came on the live bait, with the exception of one red snapper, (cubera perhaps)?. We also had luck on crocs and kastmasters for the one cubera and lots of corvina or corbina? Paddle tail swimbaits are dynamite for everything especially the bay bass. Big Hammer or similar, with the red heads. White was a good color. bring lots, they get torn up quick. A 15lb braid spinning setup was adequate for most of our fish. Although we did use 30lb rig if we thought we were around the snook. (Which we never landed one). The 15lb setup did provided a lot of sport when you hooked the bigger models. We had a blast. You will dig it.

motofshr

Jan 6, 2020
Coos Bay Oregon
Name
Rick Papa
Boat
IthinkIcan
1morefishwy
Great report, what size swimbaits would you recommend........ live bait...did you come across pangeros with live shrimp...
Thanks

Keepem tight

thehatpd

Oct 1, 2007
Palm Desert, CA
Name
jim
Boat
none
We were at Lopez Mateo in December. Live bait is best if you can get it. These were sardines I think. We were able to get it every day with some difficulty. (locals using cast nets). Most of our bigger fish came on the live bait, with the exception of one red snapper, (cubera perhaps)?. We also had luck on crocs and kastmasters for the one cubera and lots of corvina or corbina? Paddle tail swimbaits are dynamite for everything especially the bay bass. Big Hammer or similar, with the red heads. White was a good color. bring lots, they get torn up quick. A 15lb braid spinning setup was adequate for most of our fish. Although we did use 30lb rig if we thought we were around the snook. (Which we never landed one). The 15lb setup did provided a lot of sport when you hooked the bigger models. We had a blast. You will dig it.
Thanks for the info....did u try any hardbaits like sp minnow, colt sniper, yozuri flash minnows, rapala xrays or sub walks...like the idea of light braid with small baitcasters or spinning outfits....thanks again

joezee1986

Baja Bound Salt Junkies
Sep 5, 2012
Chico, CA
Name
Joseph Zaragoza
Boat
Last Cast Ensenada / Mag Bay Lodge
Great pic joezee!!! .... what's your favorite area....Lopez Mateos or San Carlos...OR?
we plan to check out Lopez Mateos...play by ear from there.

Keepem tight
Both have their spots!! I fish the mangroves and the islands tight for roosters and jacks. Lopez inshore is mostly all beach where San Carlos has the 2 islands. Too much to cover and I’m there 6 months out of the year lol

Reactions: Dogman619

motofshr

Jan 6, 2020
Coos Bay Oregon
Name
Rick Papa
Boat
IthinkIcan
6 months....that's great, I'm a fresh water guy here in coldwetwindy Oregon...Steelhead, Salmon,Trout...I looking forward to getting out of my comfort zone....and into the Baja warm zone... lol..
I would love to get into a Rooster....

Keepem tight

Reactions: joezee1986

1morefishwy

Dec 20, 2011
Casper, WY USA
Name
Steve
Boat
Ranger
Thanks for the info....did u try any hardbaits like sp minnow, colt sniper, yozuri flash minnows, rapala xrays or sub walks...like the idea of light braid with small baitcasters or spinning outfits....thanks again
Sorry for the late reply. We did try jerk baits. I am a big fan of them. It seems mine ran too shallow when casting, most bites we had were on the bottom and fairly deep , ( thus the success of the weighted heads, also the water was quite murky while we were there,)... but I had one good bite while trolling a diving jerk bait. I don't remember which kind it was.
I Did catch some kind of junk fish on a shallow running jerk bait.... Nasty little jack looking fish with stinging fins. Don't know what they were...But our guide said they sting you real bad. Sometimes they see Pargo and other fish feeding on the surface and hardbaits could be good in that situation. But, the only surface feeding fish we saw were the little junk fish.

Re: bait.....various bait fish caught by the guide with cast net...but some boats use dead shrimp. I think you could buy live shrimp from a shrimper on the water, if you pursued it. We bought some fresh caught shrimp from a shrimper at the dock to eat. They were large, fresh and tasty!

Swim bait size seemed to be around 3-4 inch and 3/8 or heavier head. Bring lots of white. I would not be afraid to try a larger model to discourage the small bay bass, if you want to concentrate on larger fish. I had good luck on some old Berkley swim shads with the molded in head. But they did get torn up pretty quick. Big hammer uses that material that is elasticy and stretches and it lasts longer.

Reactions: motofshr

1morefishwy

Dec 20, 2011
Casper, WY USA
Name
Steve
Boat
Ranger
Sorry for the late reply. We did try jerk baits. I am a big fan of them. It seems mine ran too shallow when casting, most bites we had were on the bottom and fairly deep , ( thus the success of the weighted heads, also the water was quite murky while we were there,)... but I had one good bite while trolling a diving jerk bait. I don't remember which kind it was.
I Did catch some kind of junk fish on a shallow running jerk bait.... Nasty little jack looking fish with stinging fins. Don't know what they were...But our guide said they sting you real bad. Sometimes they see Pargo and other fish feeding on the surface and hardbaits could be good in that situation. But, the only surface feeding fish we saw were the little junk fish.

Re: bait.....various bait fish caught by the guide with cast net...but some boats use dead shrimp. I think you could buy live shrimp from a shrimper on the water, if you pursued it. We bought some fresh caught shrimp from a shrimper at the dock to eat. They were large, fresh and tasty!

Swim bait size seemed to be around 3-4 inch and 3/8 or heavier head. Bring lots of white. I would not be afraid to try a larger model to discourage the small bay bass, if you want to concentrate on larger fish. I had good luck on some old Berkley swim shads with the molded in head. But they did get torn up pretty quick. Big hammer uses that material that is elasticy and stretches and it lasts longer.
Ps...our guide did frequently anchor up.

dweir

Capitan sin Anzuelo
Dec 2, 2011
Singing Hills (El Cajon), CA
Name
Don Weir
Boat
15' & 20' Bayrunners 'Zoo Boys'
We fished La Poza Grande several years ago in a 14' Mirrocraft. Easy launch and easy retrieve to tie up to a mangrove. Beautiful area and an abundance of bird life overhead in the mangroves heading out to the channel. If there is little surf,not a problem getting outside at Boca de las Animas. We stayed in the main channels and open areas fishing for broomtail grouper, pompano, curvina and bass. We used small Rapalas and the broomtails chewed the color off of them.
More mosquitos (sancudos) than I have ever seen (or felt).
Magdalena Bay is a very special place!!
Enjoy wherever on the Bay you wind up.

motofshr

Jan 6, 2020
Coos Bay Oregon
Name
Rick Papa
Boat
IthinkIcan
Arriving Lopez Mateos tomorrow....great trip down used MEX 5 crossed west entry Mexicali....no construction....Mex 5 paved through to MEX 1 a few const detours in the Puertocitos area....
Can't wait for that first grab!

Appreciate the info's

Sep 6, 2007
lopez mateos bcs
www.magbayoutfitters.com
Name
bob
Boat
26 twin vee
Thanks for stopping by and having a few beers. Was nice meeting you
and your friend.
We have taken the Offspray Aguila to a shelter in La Paz to fix the broken wing. Hope to return her back to Lopez in a few weeks for relase back
in the wild.
Liliana the masage girl says thanks for stopping by.
All crew here hopes you have a safe trip back and look forward to seeing
you in the fall when fishing picks up. Bob magbayoutfitters.com