Baja Belk

Long sappy fish stories.
Sep 8, 2009
San Diego/CA/USA
Name
Mike
Boat
18.5 Striper CC - Puro Grande
Anybody try these out yet? They float, allegedly can be used like a jacket-flyer, floated out behind the boat without a kite or balloon. If it works, I could see it being a nice tool. Running a kite/balloon/helium, etc on my small boat usually solo is a pain in the ass. But not sure if a dead/floating rubber flyer with all your heavy leader and gear in the water would actually fool a jumbo.

Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 12.52.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 12.53.22 PM.png

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
This could work quite well as a fly lined floater or bump trolled at 2 knots about 300 yards back. I think the key will be lightening up on the terminal gear, and using circles to compensate for the lighter line that may be required. Deployed correctly, these could be pretty effective... I’m ordering some.

Upvote 0

miaf

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
Does anyone know where to get these other than Performance Tackle in Los Alamitos? They are sold out.

If anyone bought one and wants to sell it, please PM me.

alex88
alex88
H&M had a bunch last week.

chasing Pelagics online store has them for sale as well
Reactions: miaf
Upvote 0
alex88
alex88
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

XPL051v3

Almost A Member
  • Nov 26, 2017
    Deep Blue
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    XPL051v3
    Boat
    Backseat Boater
    Does anyone know where to get these other than Performance Tackle in Los Alamitos? They are sold out.

If anyone bought one and wants to sell it, please PM me.

See this thread here

Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat
    skiff
    Does it work? Any videos?

In the past I've bought lures that should catch fish - but they didn't.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat
    skiff
    The California Flyer has replaceable wings. Also it is designed to slide up the line after the fish is hooked. This one looks like it may get damaged after the hook up.

Upvote 0

Baja Belk

Long sappy fish stories.
    Sep 8, 2009
    San Diego/CA/USA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    18.5 Striper CC - Puro Grande
    The California Flyer has replaceable wings. Also it is designed to slide up the line after the fish is hooked. This one looks like it may get damaged after the hook up.

That is true. But I believe this one is half the price, and floats, providing another presentation option.

Upvote 0

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    Wings do not stay up. The design is flawed because they use a foam core to make it float, but as a result, there is no support for the wings. Freaky Flyer has a floating version, haven't seen it live as it is always sold out.

Upvote 0

lougio

Capt Lou
  • Jul 19, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
    Wings do not stay up. The design is flawed because they use a foam core to make it float, but as a result, there is no support for the wings. Freaky Flyer has a floating version, haven't seen it live as it is always sold out.
    On that Chasing Pelagics site it looks like they sell rods to keep the wings stiff.

Upvote 0

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    On that Chasing Pelagics site it looks like they sell rods to keep the wings stiff.
    Yes, we tried them out on a boat, they had plastic tubes for the wings, didn't help. It just made the wings droop straighter. Cannot be used under a kite very well. I'd use a yummy before this lure.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Brothers ....one if the first posts on this thread brought forward the premise that you will have to use a much lighter rigging and leader material.... ie because kite presentation allows for all that "fat" leader / extra heavy rigging material to be "out of the water" when presenting your bait...whatever it is. Do you think #150 is would hold up? If so... why is that not what we use on the usual flying kite rig?

All I'm saying.... if you believe you can float this bait...with your usual kite leader / rigging setup... I think your results will speak for themselves. Someone should put out 2 or 3 of these "floaters" rigged with varying leader sizes and lengths.... and report back to us here on BD. Now....I'm not saying NEVER... as even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once and a while..... right? Watching and waiting.... not just jumping on the marketing machine yet.

Hope I'm wrong... but it will take considerable testing under varying conditions and on numerous occasions for me to be convinced this is a "replacement" for what currently works. As for flying it on the kite....let's see? Hope to hear back from some early adopters.... who are not afraid to say..... if they wasted their money... or not. Be safe out there.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

XPL051v3

Almost A Member
  • Nov 26, 2017
    Deep Blue
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    XPL051v3
    Boat
    Backseat Boater
    Brothers ....one if the first posts on this thread brought forward the premise that you will have to use a much lighter rigging and leader material.... ie because kite presentation allows for all that "fat" leader / extra heavy rigging material to be "out of the water" when presenting your bait...whatever it is. Do you think #150 is would hold up? If so... why is that not what we use on the usual flying kite rig?

All I'm saying.... if you believe you can float this bait...with your usual kite leader / rigging setup... I think your results will speak for themselves. Someone should put out 2 or 3 of these "floaters" rigged with varying leader sizes and lengths.... and report back to us here on BD. Now....I'm not saying NEVER... as even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once and a while..... right? Watching and waiting.... not just jumping on the marketing machine yet.

Hope I'm wrong... but it will take considerable testing under varying conditions and on numerous occasions for me to be convinced this is a "replacement" for what currently works. As for flying it on the kite....let's see? Hope to hear back from some early adopters.... who are not afraid to say..... if they wasted their money... or not. Be safe out there.

Let us know the test results.

Upvote 0

lougio

Capt Lou
  • Jul 19, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
    Yes, we tried them out on a boat, they had plastic tubes for the wings, didn't help. It just made the wings droop straighter. Cannot be used under a kite very well. I'd use a yummy before this lure.
    Ah, I see. Were they good at all or just go with either the yummy or dead flyer?

Upvote 0

yakdout

Professional
  • Jun 26, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    s and hoes

Could get away with the 150. Terminal gear in the water with this lure is the reasoning. With a kite the gears out of the water so why not use the heaviest possible.

Upvote 0

Chark

Jun 27, 2007
    HB, CA
    Name
    Mark Smith
    Boat
    25 Luhrs - CharkBait
    We do have these frequent fliers in stock at our shop, Have not posted on our site yet but they will be shortly.

Upvote 0