MAG BAY

defrag4

Jun 14, 2019
Loreto, MX
Name
James
Boat
10ft Achilles
Yes, What info are you looking for? I live there.
hey avery, I live over in Loreto, I have a boat over here but the trailer is not capable of making the trip over your way, looking to take some friends out Wahoo fishing in Mid-Oct

Any pangeros or local non-gringo operations still fishing out there? Prefer to keep it local if possible

I usually drive my RV over and pull a 12ft Gregor, fish the mangroves and main channel outside of Santo Domingo but want to get a wahoo!

Upvote 0

jorgepelon

Feb 23, 2005
San Clemente, CA
Name
Jorge
Boat
Never again, until the next one.
hey avery, I live over in Loreto, I have a boat over here but the trailer is not capable of making the trip over your way, looking to take some friends out Wahoo fishing in Mid-Oct

Any pangeros or non-gringo operations still fishing out there? Prefer to keep it local if possible

I usually drive my small RV over and pull a 12ft Gregor over to the old abandoned lighthouse off of Santo Domingo, tons of fun fishing the mangroves and main channel but want to get a wahoo!
Wahoo as of yesterday are a no show in PSC and in LM same as of last week. Lots of dorado, small yft , sierra and the usual reef and mangrove fish too. I have fished with Jorge many times and he still skippers my panga. He is as local as they come, speaks good English and his wife is a super good cook too at the nd fof the day. laundry and other services available too.
Here is their FB link. Mag Bay Sea Adventures

Reactions: Dogman619
Upvote 0

defrag4

Jun 14, 2019
Loreto, MX
Name
James
Boat
10ft Achilles
Wahoo as of yesterday are a no show in PSC and in LM same as of last week. Lots of dorado, small yft , sierra and the usual reef and mangrove fish too. I have fished with Jorge many times and he still skippers my panga. He is as local as they come, speaks good English and his wife is a super good cook too at the nd fof the day. laundry and other services available too.
Here is their FB link. Mag Bay Sea Adventures

hell ya, gracias amigo, thats exactly what im looking for

heres hopnig they show up in Oct!!

I saw one small one over on MagBayLodge facebook page from yesterday, said it was the first theyve seen all year

Reactions: Dogman619
Upvote 0

defrag4

Jun 14, 2019
Loreto, MX
Name
James
Boat
10ft Achilles
Good Afternoon, There are 3 or 4 locals that are licenced to take charters, Your looking at around 84 miles round trip, plus trolling time. A little expensive! Whats your budget? Are You Fishing or diving ? THe Fish Should Be here.
hey avery, sounds good! No budget perse but I am not looking to spend $800 on a single day trip like I am seeing on some of these gringo charter websites! What the heck...

If I dont want to take my boat, or want to learn some new techniques I usually pay $200-300 for a full day trip here in Loreto with a friend who runs a panga charter, price depends on how far we want to run out, $300 we will run outside ~30-40 miles to look for some bigger marlin/dorado, $200-250 we will stick closer to the islands

$3-400 seems like a fair price for some pacific side wahoo fishing, no?

We dont need some giant fancy boat, Im fine in beat up old pangas as long as we have a good Capi

Heres a nice one we caught on my boat this week, slow trolling sardines around the current breaks

6ZP1hh0.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jorgepelon

Feb 23, 2005
San Clemente, CA
Name
Jorge
Boat
Never again, until the next one.
hey avery, sounds good! No budget perse but I am not looking to spend $800 on a single day trip like I am seeing on some of these gringo charter websites! What the heck...

If I dont want to take my boat, or want to learn some new techniques I usually pay $200-300 for a full day trip here in Loreto with a friend who runs a panga charter, price depends on how far we want to run out, $300 we will run outside ~30-40 miles to look for some bigger marlin/dorado, $200-250 we will stick closer to the islands

$3-400 seems like a fair price for some pacific side wahoo fishing, no?

We dont need some giant fancy boat, Im fine in beat up old pangas as long as we have a good Capi

Heres a nice one we caught on my boat this week, slow trolling sardines around the current breaks

6ZP1hh0.png
Lopez Mateo is much closer to the ridge and a much smaller town than PSC. Not too many LM locals taking clients out to the ridge to fish and I doubt you will find anyone to do it for $400 unless you find a panga that will take you out. I have looked there and had no luck but things change so maybe?

I fish with Ruben when I am in LM and that was $650 plus tips etc.
Ruben, Bob's outfit and other center console skiff types are all charging north of $650. Even in PSC the gringo catered charters are charging north of $650 in season.

Both LM and PSC are homes to vibrant commercial fishing and diving scenes and lots of the skipper and panga talent is not interested in sportfshing as the season is pretty short. But if you find the right skipper on the right day you might make a deal.

The ridge is very well known and lots of boats on it in October and November. If you have a handheld gps and charts take them along especially if you grab al local panga guy although I have never fished with anyone out of either p[lace who did not have their own hand held gps with charts..

If you decide on PSC and Jorge it could probably be arranged for $400 plus the cost of the shuttle across the island which is about 400 pesos. To make the trip to the ridge shorter from PSC one crosses to the island, avoiding the boca further south, and a trailer picks your boat out of the water on the bay side and drops you into the Pacific side which saves 30 miles and that travel time getting from PSC to the ridge. It is a very seamless shuttle and part of the experience.

I have fished out of both places but I enjoy staying in PSC as they have more services, great panaderias, good food and a vibrant late night ambience of blaring music and dogs a barking all night long scene, Makes me feel right at home and reminds me I am in Mexico.

Nice dodo btw, especially for Septmeber in LTO!

Upvote 0

defrag4

Jun 14, 2019
Loreto, MX
Name
James
Boat
10ft Achilles
Lopez Mateo is much closer to the ridge and a much smaller town than PSC. Not too many LM locals taking clients out to the ridge to fish and I doubt you will find anyone to do it for $400 unless you find a panga that will take you out. I have looked there and had no luck but things change so maybe?

I fish with Ruben when I am in LM and that was $650 plus tips etc.
Ruben, Bob's outfit and other center console skiff types are all charging north of $650. Even in PSC the gringo catered charters are charging north of $650 in season.

Both LM and PSC are homes to vibrant commercial fishing and diving scenes and lots of the skipper and panga talent is not interested in sportfshing as the season is pretty short. But if you find the right skipper on the right day you might make a deal.

The ridge is very well known and lots of boats on it in October and November. If you have a handheld gps and charts take them along especially if you grab al local panga guy although I have never fished with anyone out of either p[lace who did not have their own hand held gps with charts..

If you decide on PSC and Jorge it could probably be arranged for $400 plus the cost of the shuttle across the island which is about 400 pesos. To make the trip to the ridge shorter from PSC one crosses to the island, avoiding the boca further south, and a trailer picks your boat out of the water on the bay side and drops you into the Pacific side which saves 30 miles and that travel time getting from PSC to the ridge. It is a very seamless shuttle and part of the experience.

I have fished out of both places but I enjoy staying in PSC as they have more services, great panaderias, good food and a vibrant late night ambience of blaring music and dogs a barking all night long scene, Makes me feel right at home and reminds me I am in Mexico.

Nice dodo btw, especially for Septmeber in LTO!
good information! Makes sense, classic supply and demand, ill be in touch, graicas amigos

Upvote 0

CheriK

Oct 19, 2012
Lopez Mateos
www.lopezmateossportfishing.com
Name
Cheri King
Boat
TYDK and Parker in Lopez Mateos.
defrang4,
You fished with us last fall on the Triumph 225CC TYDK. This year I have the TYDK with a Yamaha 150 for 2 guys $650 to the banks and also have a Parker 2300CC on line now and will take up to 4 people to the banks for $750. New Yamaha 250VMAX.
Cheri

Upvote 0

thehatpd

Almost A Member
Oct 1, 2007
Palm Desert, CA
Name
jim
Boat
none
Yeah, fishing inside is still dead. Water was 76 at Santo Domingo yesterday and nothing. Nothing at the Remolino or Boca either. The shrimp guys are not working yet, so no live bait - I don;t like sardines. Tuna are close in - outside.
What can one expect to catch in the mangroves around San Carlos this time of the year....interested in inshore fishing only, October of this year....thanks

Upvote 0

Bill Erhardt

Jan 1, 2006
Loreto, Mexico
Name
Bill Erhardt
Boat
Bluewater 23T "Soledad"
It's refreshing to hear the unvarnished truth from an outfitter, but the rest of story is that although wahoo action has been slow outside Lopez Mateos Cheri has been doing just fine by clients mining the yellowfin that can be found much closer to shore. And on windy days, of which there have been many this year, the Ridge can be a long ride from the boca in a small boat.

Upvote 0