Mag Bay/Ridge Trip Next Week

kohatsu19

Aug 6, 2009
Long Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
NA
Any advise on making the run down to Mag Bay/Ridge at this time of year? I’m headed down next week to drop off a 61’ Mikelson and wanted to know what to expect when I get to Mag Bay. I have the fishing part down, which I’ve done by sport boat but never have made the run via yacht. Are there pangeros that have bait and fuel?
Anchoring up in the evening.
All tips and advice are greatly appreciated
Thanks

Upvote 0

DC61

Dec 28, 2011
Dana Point
Name
Paul L.
Boat
33’ Blackfin
Hi Steve,

I will be leaving about the same time as you. I will be in a 62' Offshore. You will anchor at Santa Maria bay which is a nicely protected anchorage (unless there is a storm from the south). It's the first point you come to after leaving Asuncion. It's roughly a 175 mile run from Asuncion. You can make bait right on the anchor.

The next place to anchor is at Belchers. It's roughly 4 miles up the inside of the bay. It's a pretty protected anchorage. You can often make bait right on the anchor there too. The next anchorage is at Magdelena City. It's another 4-5 miles up the bay. There is usually good bait there too. If the fish are to the south you can anchor at Punta Tosca. It's the southern end of Isla Margarita, which forms the southern land mass of the opening to Mag Bay. You'll see it on the chart. I have never had much luck making bait there and it can get ugly on a south swell.

As far as fuel goes, your first option is Turtle Bay. You drop the anchor and back up to the commercial pier. Be forewarned Gordo is a crook. He will sell you less fuel that what the pump shows and he will charge you around $8 per gallon (that's not a typo). Most guys avoid using him at all costs.

I carry 1,000 gallons of fuel and am bringing two 150 gallon bladders (total of 300 additional gallons). I will likely transfer fuel in Turtle Bay which will come close to topping me off.
You have a couple of options for fuel in Mag Bay. First is to go to the commercial pier in San Carlos. There you will fill directly from a truck. It's a pain because you have to clear customs with the port captain, not to mention having to run 25 miles up a zig zag channel to get to the pier.

Another option is to contract with a pangero to bring fuel out to you. There are a couple of guys who will do this. Of course they charge a premium and there is always a question of how much fuel and how clean is it?

I hope this helps you. Feel free to shoot me a pm. I am leaving from SD on the 30th and clearing papers in Ensenada. Good luck and safe travels!

Upvote 0

Sunlitreef

Nov 26, 2011
Vista
Name
Justin
Boat
Asesino De Peces
How much time are you guys spending fishing the ridge and mag bay? I’ll be taking a boat down a few days behind you.

Upvote 0

DC61

Dec 28, 2011
Dana Point
Name
Paul L.
Boat
33’ Blackfin
I am leaving on October 30 th and don’t have to be in San Jose until Novemy13th. We essentially have two weeks to fish our way down. I plan on spending most of the time at Mag, but it depends on what we find on the way down. It seems like the bulk of the fish has been south of Asuncion.

Upvote 0

I hate seals

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 24, 2004
SD
Name
Bryan Z
Boat
36' Hatteras
Leaving November 3rd, 65' Viking "Silver Time"
Yellow hull, say hi!

Upvote 0

triplelindy

Aug 20, 2008
Channel Islands, CA
Name
Felipe
Boat
36' Catalina (yes it's a sailboat! what of it?)
Just got back. Marlin fishing was off the hook. As stated above, you have 3 options on anchoring- Santa Maria on the outside, Belchers on the inside (really nice spot. Shallow sand for good holding) and then just north of the pier inside at San Carlos. Buddy boat we were with had a Mexican captain who was able to arrange fuel at the pier, which was cheaper than any other arrangement. But Joseph and Toby's guy at the lodge can make it work via panga as well.

SO much more sea life off Mag Bay than in Cabo. I wouldn't move south from their until you've had your fishing fill.

Reactions: pvmarlin
Upvote 0

airborne

Straight Old School
Aug 28, 2005
Bonita
Name
dana
Boat
17,bayliner
Any advise on making the run down to Mag Bay/Ridge at this time of year? I’m headed down next week to drop off a 61’ Mikelson and wanted to know what to expect when I get to Mag Bay. I have the fishing part down, which I’ve done by sport boat but never have made the run via yacht. Are there pangeros that have bait and fuel?
Anchoring up in the evening.
All tips and advice are greatly appreciated
Thanks

Upvote 0

airborne

Straight Old School
Aug 28, 2005
Bonita
Name
dana
Boat
17,bayliner
Do you ever make it down to mag bay? How's the bite? Thinking about coming down next week.

Upvote 0

kohatsu19

Aug 6, 2009
Long Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
NA
Do you ever make it down to mag bay? How's the bite? Thinking about coming down next week.

Hey guys thanks for the input and help. I just flew back last night. What a trip! We left last Wednesday and didn’t make it down to the ridge until Sunday morning. We stopped in Ensenada for paperwork but they had no fuel, so I lined up fuel for us at Cedros and we also topped off at Tortuga. We caught a few mixed yellowtail, tuna and wahoo (outside of tortuga) on the way down. On Sunday we fished the 13 for a few wahoo and then I started working southwest to the 23’s and 38. Monday morning while working down, we had quad hook ups on wahoo (nomads, bomber cd30’s and cowbells). Then about an hour later I found the holy grail paddy for us. We drifted on it for 4 hours and it was all you want Mahi and Wahoo. I fished wahoo primarily, Tady 4/0 gold and on straight 60#. We plugged the boat. It was the best paddy stop I’ve ever experienced. We then had 3 days to fish Mag Bay. Tuesday morning we started at Thetis and got a few marlin, then eventually found our rhythm and fish later that afternoon on the outside of the bank. It was game on with marlin eating everything up until we left Thursday night to Cabo. I ran out of ballyhoo Thursday morning so ended up fishing macs as drop back baits. I even caught a few on the surface iron that’s how insane it was. I’d say we caught well over 100 fish those 3 days for 6 guys. I was fortunate to invite a couple of my good buddies that are from New Jersey that are avid marlin guys and they both stated that the 3 days down there were the best Marlin fishing they’ve ever experienced. We tied up in Cabo Friday morning and got the boat dialed and settled in before flying back home yesterday. Water temps were upper 70’s and clean with lots of life around. It was a great trip for us and I’m looking forward to flying back down next month and bringing it back up.

Upvote 0