Bill Erhardt

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 1, 2006
Loreto, Mexico
Name
Bill Erhardt
Boat
Bluewater 23T "Soledad"
Tuesday, the day before yesterday, I fished outside Mag Bay for what will be the last time in August and notched the fifth wahoo limit of the month. I've made note of the other rod and reel fishing boats I've encountered on the Ridge so far this year and the grand total is one, if you don't count three long range cattle boats out of San Diego. That boat was the pretty catamaran run out of San Carlos by Mag Bay Lodge and its very successful trip last week was well documented here. Photos of the five hoos I caught Tuesday are below. I used only larger lures because like last year the water on the Ridge is teeming with pelagic red crabs which have drawn dorado, yellowfin, yellowtail and other predators that are scarfing them up and I didn't want to be bothered with them. Despite my intentions a couple of the dorado hit the larger lures and belched up gobs of the red crabs at the boat. The bellies of the wahoo contain no crabs but fist sized chunks of the tuna, 'tails, etc.
If you are waiting until October to make your wahoo trip there is no need. It was good in August and it will surely be better in September.

DSC07289.jpg

DSC07295.jpg

DSC07305.jpg

DSC07317.jpg

DSC07319.jpg

DSC07326.jpg

DSC07328.jpg

DSC07334.jpg

DSC07350.jpg

Vigilant32

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
Nice going Bill you have got the place wired like no one else.

Thanks for sharing your great images.

So no MBO boats plying the area?

Bill Erhardt

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 1, 2006
Loreto, Mexico
Name
Bill Erhardt
Boat
Bluewater 23T "Soledad"
MBO's Aguila was out with a three day party a week or so ago on a fishing/diving trip. I met them on the way in one day when they were heading out. They caught some yellowfin, dorado and bottom fish, but I don't think they targeted wahoo. The MBO boats are ready to go, however, as soon as the fishermen show up. The hotel/restaurant is open for business. I dropped off a wahoo Tuesday and went back later for some terrrific wahoo tacos.

Captain Juan SQ

ARLETT DEL MAR.
May 14, 2008
San Quintin BCN mex.
Name
Captain Juan SQ.
Boat
parker 23/20.slaptail.
very nice bill,fishonnnnnnnnnnn&onnnnnnnnnnn.

Sep 6, 2007
lopez mateos bcs
www.magbayoutfitters.com
Name
bob
Boat
26 twin vee
MBO's Aguila was out with a three day party a week or so ago on a fishing/diving trip. I met them on the way in one day when they were heading out. They caught some yellowfin, dorado and bottom fish, but I don't think they targeted wahoo. The MBO boats are ready to go, however, as soon as the fishermen show up. The hotel/restaurant is open for business. I dropped off a wahoo Tuesday and went back later for some terrrific wahoo tacos.

Sep 6, 2007
lopez mateos bcs
www.magbayoutfitters.com
Name
bob
Boat
26 twin vee
Nice photos Bill. Cris on Aguila said he saw you out there.
They had a great 3 Day trip for a couple of French Divers. Nice
dorado tuna yellowtail limits of all.
Jose fished close in with Baja Trophy Truck Racer Cris Kemp
Jimmy who races vw bugs and pit man Rob Linikins all from
San Clemente Ca. Jose Osuna put them on Limits of nice
size Yellowfin Tuna. All returned to hotel to enjoy wahoo tacos
with wahoo provided by Bill Erhart.

Bill Erhardt

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 1, 2006
Loreto, Mexico
Name
Bill Erhardt
Boat
Bluewater 23T "Soledad"
I've been fishing the fall season outside Mag Bay for about 15 years now and unlike most places, including Loreto where I live, the fishing is just as good now as it was then. This in spite of pressure from commercial seiners mining schools of yellowfin tuna and local pangueros who make a living with smaller nets. When I settled in Loreto it was a world class fishery for dorado in the summer as well as yellowtail in the winter. The yellowtail are still around but the dorado, no mas. Now with the exception of the yellowtail about the best thing about living in Loreto is that it's only two hours from Mag Bay.

Vigilant32

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
I've been fishing the fall season outside Mag Bay for about 15 years now and unlike most places, including Loreto where I live, the fishing is just as good now as it was then. This in spite of pressure from commercial seiners mining schools of yellowfin tuna and local pangueros who make a living with smaller nets. When I settled in Loreto it was a world class fishery for dorado in the summer as well as yellowtail in the winter. The yellowtail are still around but the dorado, no mas. Now with the exception of the yellowtail about the best thing about living in Loreto is that it's only two hours from Mag Bay.
Do you ever fish with live bait out of Lopez ?

Is there a tidal range you like when crossing the Boca?

I can’t imagine crossing the without an agile vessel and horsepower for response.

Bill Erhardt

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 1, 2006
Loreto, Mexico
Name
Bill Erhardt
Boat
Bluewater 23T "Soledad"
I've not used live bait over there for several years, and never for wahoo. I did catch my biggest YF by a large margin that taped 190# at Lucetania soaking a mackerel jigged up at the Entrada. That's over 100 miles from Lopez Mateos, however, with a night on the hook at Punta Belcher or Tosca, and I only scored on big tuna once in several trips. Closer to Lopez I've also tried live macs with a downrigger under schools of breaking YF looking for bigger fish lurking below, but only caught same size fish as on the surface.
I'm happy if I see slack tide at high either coming or going out of the boca.
I agree on a well powered, agile boat for the boca and also a deadrise of 24 degrees or so for the trip out.

Shemp

May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Rick
Boat
Ocean Kayak, Cabo
Nice report again Bill. I know in the past you get out to the ridge very early-gray light. How important is time of day? Thanks-will be there Oct 2!

Bill Erhardt

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 1, 2006
Loreto, Mexico
Name
Bill Erhardt
Boat
Bluewater 23T "Soledad"
Nice report again Bill. I know in the past you get out to the ridge very early-gray light. How important is time of day? Thanks-will be there Oct 2!
I've caught a ton of wahoo on the first pass over the high spot before sun-up. But, sometimes the bite will start an hour or two later or not at all. I have nothing better to do at 3:30 so I get up and get an early start.

Bill Erhardt

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 1, 2006
Loreto, Mexico
Name
Bill Erhardt
Boat
Bluewater 23T "Soledad"
Nice fish Bill. Got a couple of my wahoo on that same pink MagTrak.
That one is a keeper. It caught wahoo #1 and #3 that day. It also stays down real well at speed. I ran the line through a flat line clip. The clip would release surfing down a wave at 13 -14 knots, but the lure never once skipped out of the water.

MagBayCo

Promoter
Aug 31, 2019
Bahia Magdalena B.C.S.
Name
Mind Sweeper
Boat
BCS Fleet
I've not used live bait over there for several years, and never for wahoo. I did catch my biggest YF by a large margin that taped 190# at Lucetania soaking a mackerel jigged up at the Entrada. That's over 100 miles from Lopez Mateos, however, with a night on the hook at Punta Belcher or Tosca, and I only scored on big tuna once in several trips. Closer to Lopez I've also tried live macs with a downrigger under schools of breaking YF looking for bigger fish lurking below, but only caught same size fish as on the surface.
I'm happy if I see slack tide at high either coming or going out of the boca.
I agree on a well powered, agile boat for the boca and also a deadrise of 24 degrees or so for the trip out.
Really hoping to organize and make some runs out to the large YFT next season . Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and expertise you’ve gained over the years here.

Bill Erhardt

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 1, 2006
Loreto, Mexico
Name
Bill Erhardt
Boat
Bluewater 23T "Soledad"
Both Correct. The Halco is a Lemon Lime Max 220. Below is what they look like after 4 1/2 months of regular use. The magnet is rusted out of the Magrak and the Mustad 9/0 inline hooks on the Halco are a bit rusty, but with a little routine maintenance they both still track well and still catch fish - as recently as within the last week for both. Each has accounted for 12 or 15 wahoos over the course of the season

DSC07431.jpg