Mag Bay Outfitters

TsTime

May 9, 2006
IB
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Alblemarle SF Ex
Going with Bob Hoyt's Mag Bay Outfitters Oct 10-17 fishing mangrroves 4 days and offshore 2 days. Any help to prepare appreciated especially if you've fished with the Outfitters before. Trying to keep tackle to minimal due to flying down.

Thanks

aguachico

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Hey Gary;

what do the outfitters rec? Interested in Mag Bay?

Mambo

Sep 11, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita
Name
Rick
Boat
48 Uniflite
You will have a great time.... Bring a firm rod and flip anything white...make it a hard bait if you can....gulp shrimp work good... Fish tear the rubber very fast...Offshore is easy....hopefully the Wahoo are there for you.

The locals may have ghost shrimp bait for you. Great fishing in the mangroves....have to pull them out hard or they will quickly wrap you....my favorite place on the planet.

Bob is great...Hope you have a wonderful time.

cksea

<*}}}<
Apr 16, 2005
SD
Name
CKSEA
Boat
PORTA
Fished the Thetis area last week, 3 days offshore for 4 dorado. It sucked. October should be much better.

Bring Marauders...

TsTime

May 9, 2006
IB
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Alblemarle SF Ex
Thanks all, looking forward to trip. Will take plent of the gulp and stick with the basics. Will post on return!

TsTime

May 9, 2006
IB
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Alblemarle SF Ex
Thanks Stan, I hopped on as a stragler. When you get to Ansuncion we'll definetly play a while there!

flyfishBaja

On the hunt for Grandes
Apr 23, 2009
East Cape, BCS, Mexico
www.hotelbuenavista.com
Name
Lance Peterson
Boat
many
I like to fish good, abrasion resistant leaders in the bay. Mono is fine but Fluoro is the way to go. 50# minimum for bait or plastics. Fluoro is not available there so bring some. Might sound extreme but I sometimes fish 100# leader when soaking bait.
Don't know about ghost shrimp but there are the big blue and "Khaki" shrimp available for live bait at times. Yes, these are the same one's you might buy to eat. I've saved the leftovers in the bait tank many a time for dinner!
Bring some good stout hooks for bait in the mangroves. Gamakatsu "live bait" is a great choice.
Those Gulp shrimp are good stuff. Bring plenty of plastic. I've had some amazing top water takes in the bay so I always bring a few walk-the-dog lures like Rebel's Jumpin' Minnow just in case the opportunity presents itself.
Offshore...as suggested bring a couple of marauders, rigged on wire.
Are you bringing your own rods and reels?

Sep 6, 2007
lopez mateos bcs
www.magbayoutfitters.com
Name
bob
Boat
26 twin vee
Gary Just got back from Mag. We had a catch and release tournment and caught
a lot of snook and grooper in the bay. Outside now are marlin tuna and dorado.
Surf is up at the island and lots of nicer yellow tail. Call me if you have any questions. Bob 760 9082252