Goin Fishin

Tryin' for my next personal best
Aug 21, 2009
SoCal
Name
Jay
Boat Name
Sea-Jay
Really impressed by your attention to detail. Quality isn't something that's added to the product at the end. It' something that's built into it as it's constructed. Nice, nice work!

Reactions: Mag Bay Yachts
Upvote 0

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat Name
Mag Bay 33
Really impressed by your attention to detail. Quality isn't something that's added to the product at the end. It' something that's built into it as it's constructed. Nice, nice work!
Thank you!

Why the butt joint at the deck/hull and not a flange joint like the Cabo's?
We used a plastic backing with a stainless insert at Cabo. We wanted a cleaner look with Mag Bay with no plastic rub rail.

Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat Name
Where do you get your fuel tanks manufactured? What sender & pickup systems do you utilize?

Is that closed cell foam and you then seal it with glass to eliminate moisture?

Thanks I'm redoing tanks on a 25' Whaler where foam rotted due to moisture which also got to tanks. Greatly admire your craftsmanship and sharing of methods & refinements.

IMG_3168.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat Name
Mag Bay 33
Where do you get your fuel tanks manufactured? What sender & pickup systems do you utilize?

Is that closed cell foam and you then seal it with glass to eliminate moisture?

Thanks I'm redoing tanks on a 25' Whaler where foam rotted due to moisture which also got to tanks. Greatly admire your craftsmanship and sharing of methods & refinements.

View attachment 846474
Good ol Whaler projects! I really have the itch to redo an 18 but I know if I bring one even close to the shop my old man will shoot me.

My tanks are manufactured by Best Fab in Bartow Florida. The only reason I get my tanks from Best Fab is because they do so many for the industry and they were who I started with. Locally IMCO make really nice tanks and i'm sure they can coat the tanks.

The fuel system components come from Bluskies. For each tank there is a pickup, a 5/8 main tank vent and an additional 5/8 vent for the deck fill. Both 5/8" vents are also vented with a 1/4" vent. It's a complicated thing to explain but it is to prevent any fuel from exiting the boat while fueling. Sending unit is a generic unit that gets wired into the engine harness. I'll get a picture of our setup and post it later today. The link to Bluskies is: http://bluskies.us

The foam is a 3 pound Coast Guard rated marine foam that I get from Rev Chem composites. You can buy the same stuff as a retail customer directly from them. We hot coat the foam then run a layer of glass over the foam and tanks to seal everything.

Upvote 0

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat Name
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
Thanks Mike. Foaming around tanks is still the industry standard and when done right is the proper way to seat a tank in the boat. We have three separate compartments for the fuel tanks and they are secondary bonded to the hull to prevent any sort of water intrusion. Once we put the tanks in and foam around them, we seal the foam then run a layer of glass over the foam and tanks. At the end of the day its all a sealed and secure unit.

Its like a lot of things in the boat industry; with the rise of internet forums and arm chair boat builders a lot of great things get a bad wrap. Take balsa core for example. When done right and sealed properly, its an amazing core. The compressive strength of balsa will beat most any foam and its a lot easier to work with. Problem is a few companies cut corners and now everyone that thinks of balsa associates it with rotted decks. With the foam, if you have a drain pipe running underneath the tank going aft chances are you will get wet foam. A lot of companies used to foam tanks then just leave the foam exposed; those are the boats that will have foam issues in the future. The Chris Craft I redid years ago had wet foam and the tank was paper thin. With the Mag Bays, we're using 1/4" aluminum and the tanks are coal tar coated to seal them. Little more expensive on our end but without question the better way to go.
Beautiful work....Not to be one of those "armchair boat builders" but I personally disagree with your scenario of justification of the foaming in of the fuel tanks. This in no way detracts from I think inking you are doing a wonderful job. Polyester permeation over time is the problem. If this area was 100% encapsulated with epoxy I could go along with the logic. Never the less it will be decades before it becomes a problem......Ap

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
North Carolina........I escaped Kalifornistan!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat Name
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
Quality isn't something that's added to the product at the end. It' something that's built into it as it's constructed. Nice, nice work!

Truer word have never been spoken!

....and this is a perfect example.......... "where no one will ever see it."

full

Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat Name
Truer word have never been spoken!

....and this is a perfect example.......... "where no one will ever see it."

full

Yes but the screw heads aren't line up perfectly.

Thank you very much for the feedback & info on tanks & installs. Currently redoing 4 Whalers for a fleet headed to MagBay so I wish I had a shop and your skills.

Upvote 0

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat Name
Mag Bay 33
Beautiful work....Not to be one of those "armchair boat builders" but I personally disagree with your scenario of justification of the foaming in of the fuel tanks. This in no way detracts from I think inking you are doing a wonderful job. Polyester permeation over time is the problem. If this area was 100% encapsulated with epoxy I could go along with the logic. Never the less it will be decades before it becomes a problem......Ap
I agree with you on the epoxy. Unfortunately its just not financially viable on our end. We use 100% vinyl ester resin in the entire boat and we try to go above what the standards call for when it comes to just about everything in the boat.
Yes but the screw heads aren't line up perfectly.

Thank you very much for the feedback & info on tanks & installs. Currently redoing 4 Whalers for a fleet headed to MagBay so I wish I had a shop and your skills.
They line up now! We go in at the end and line up every screw we can. There are some exceptions on the electrical system but every screw in the rub rail, piano hinges, speakers etc all line up.

4 Whalers sound like quite the project! Best of luck with that one.
Boy do I remember that thing! Did all that work to it and never once gaffed a fish on it. It would be cool to get a picture of that thing next to one of the Mag Bay's sometime.

Upvote 0

40Grit

Sep 9, 2009
Newport Beach California
Name
Steve Brown
Boat Name
Radovich 34
Beautiful glass work. The design is so well thought out, then optimized. after years of glass work, and observing how most production projects are economy engineered. These photos are just incredible. thanks for sharing.
And more importantly to us, is the explanation, and photos of a properly foamed tank instillation.

Upvote 0