Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat Name
Mag Bay 33
Its been a while since I did the Introducing Mag Bay Yachts build thread; time for a new one! Since that first boat we've made plenty of changes and improvements. I'll try and highlight everything as best I can and keep the thread updated every week. Enjoy!

Hull 16 in the mold.

Out of the mold

Console ready to install. This boat is going to have a single 24" Simrad display

Fuel tanks tabbed and foamed in place

Foam trimmed and prepped for layer of glass on top

Stringer grid prepped for secondary bonding

Deck liner getting ready for core

Upvote 0

hbouldin1216

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 10, 2012
Lodi, CA
Name
Henry Bouldin
Boat Name
14 Gregor - Tinacious
Simrad makes a 24" screen?!!? Jesus, and I thought the freshwater bass guys were getting carried away.

Upvote 0
May 22, 2009
Huntington Harbour
Name
Joe
Boat Name
Boston Whaler 17 Montauk
After seeing one of your boats in person, hard to imagine you can make any improvements. That drive produce an exceptional product is what sets you apart from the rest. All the little things are done right. Good job making a great boat.

Upvote 0

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat Name
Mag Bay 33
Once tanks are in and foamed we sand the foam flush to the top of the tanks, coat it with resin then glass over the top of the foam and tanks.
full

Once the tanks are glassed we run the hoses and electrical. We 5200 some PVC to the top of the tanks to route the fuel hoses and keep them from flopping around.
full

We put a small piece of rubber over the stringer grid tank flange cutouts where the hoses run on top of to prevent any chafing. Its the little details that nobody will ever see...
full

After the stringer grid goes in we radius any corners and run a secondary bond over everything. We then put a layer of gelcoat down on the bare glass and sand it. The gelcoat is used as a combo of a filler and a base.
full

full

full

full

This photo shows our thru hull box. Instead of drilling a bunch of holes in the side of the boat for thru hulls we mold one into the hull side and glass this box to each side of the boat. Cleaner and easier.
full

Once the boat is at this stage its time for the deck liner. Everything is backed with Gurit A500 foam
full

Liner coming off the mold.
full

full

This boat will be the first with a new aft arrangement. Seats only on this one, no bait tank
full

We designed our liner for the short console we offer. For the longer console, we add a small toe kick piece to the front of the liner.
full

Once all the pieces are ready for assembly, we chemically bond the stringer grid and deck liner together. We use a product called Crestomer for the glue then follow that with secondary bonds anywhere we can get access. There are some random wires laying around in this picture; they are ran through the stringer grid when it's lowered into place.
full

Deck getting sprayed
full

Old man installing the stainless tow eye
full

I'll try and post daily updates. Any questions ask away!

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat Name
SeaVee 340Z
Now I want one of these boats. The attention to detail is insane.

Nice work little buddy.

Upvote 0

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat Name
Mag Bay 33
Can you snap a picture of this outside the hull?
I like it!, what all drains into it? Decks too?

Everything aft drains into the boxes with the exception of the deck. The 3/4" trim tab pocket vent, both aft bilge pumps and the port fishbox macerator outlet drain through this opening. We have to touch up around the opening so don't mind the orange peel around the hole.
full

This is what it looks like all finished.
full

Guys are prepping the deck for core.
full

Inside the boat we fill any gaps between the deck liner and hull with crestomer before adding a layer of glass over the joints.
full

full

full

After any gaps are filled, we run a layer of glass over everything.
full

full

full

Many of our competitors simply put the liner in and call it good without any of this secondary bonding. We take it a step further and glass the sides of the liner to the hull. Once the deck goes on we run another layer of glass over the joint creating one hell of a strong hull to deck joint. Its more work but the end result is a stronger product.
full

Deck drain fiberglass pipe being bonded between the liner and hull
full

As always if there are any questions don't hesitate to ask!

Upvote 0

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat Name
Mag Bay 33
Deck is in its final stages in the mold. We put coosa bluewater 26 anywhere a cleat or reinforcement needs to go.
full

Last layer of glass going on
full

Transducer being installed. We made an insert for our hull mold that gives us a pocket that fits the larger CHIRP transducers perfectly. This is the farthest aft point in the hull forward of the forward step. We started doing this around hull 9 and it works amazingly well.
full

Up forward we connected the rigging tube running aft and glassed the floor piece between the hull and deck liner. We will go in and sand the gelcoat and put another layer on top ahead of installing the windlass shelf later today.
full

Inside the console up forward the fresh water and holding tanks are installed and plumbed. The battery tray is in and the various pumps are in and wired. All thats left to install are the pan that goes under the batteries and the batteries themselves.
full

Upvote 0

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat Name
Mag Bay 33
Deck finished and ready
full

full

full

full

Deck fit on the boat
full

Detail of our hull to deck joint aft. We set the deck on a bed of crestomer aft then layer fiberglass on both sides of the gap until it's fair with the hull. This spot ends up usually having 1/2" of solid glass throughout the entire joint. I'll post more pictures of this as it progresses.
full

All hatches get the same prep and treatment. We don't just brush gelcoat over the edges of hatches like so many of our competitors do; we actually finish things off properly.
full

full

full

full

Before we fit the deck we fit the side door reinforcement. This piece gives the hull a little more meat around the door and support for the deck.
full

full

full

full

Hole cut for the big 24" Simrad
full

full

New aft seating being fitted
full

Any questions ask away!

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
North Carolina........I escaped Kalifornistan!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat Name
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
I can smell the fiberglass (and QUALITY) from here! :appl:

Hey Barrett, I though foaming in the tanks was a bad thing........the foam holds moisture and causes corrosion........what did I miss?

thanks

Upvote 0

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat Name
Mag Bay 33
I can smell the fiberglass (and QUALITY) from here! :appl:

Hey Barrett, I though foaming in the tanks was a bad thing........the foam holds moisture and causes corrosion........what did I miss?

thanks
Thanks Mike. Foaming around tanks is still the industry standard and when done right is the proper way to seat a tank in the boat. We have three separate compartments for the fuel tanks and they are secondary bonded to the hull to prevent any sort of water intrusion. Once we put the tanks in and foam around them, we seal the foam then run a layer of glass over the foam and tanks. At the end of the day its all a sealed and secure unit.

Its like a lot of things in the boat industry; with the rise of internet forums and arm chair boat builders a lot of great things get a bad wrap. Take balsa core for example. When done right and sealed properly, its an amazing core. The compressive strength of balsa will beat most any foam and its a lot easier to work with. Problem is a few companies cut corners and now everyone that thinks of balsa associates it with rotted decks. With the foam, if you have a drain pipe running underneath the tank going aft chances are you will get wet foam. A lot of companies used to foam tanks then just leave the foam exposed; those are the boats that will have foam issues in the future. The Chris Craft I redid years ago had wet foam and the tank was paper thin. With the Mag Bays, we're using 1/4" aluminum and the tanks are coal tar coated to seal them. Little more expensive on our end but without question the better way to go.

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat Name
Aquasport 222 FFV
Sunscribed!

Nice to see attention to detail. So many boat manufacturers skimp where the buyer can't see.

1/4 aluminum tanks!

This is awesome.

Reactions: Mag Bay Yachts
Upvote 0

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat Name
Mag Bay 33
We decked the boat today. Here's how that process goes.

All surfaces get prepped before hand. Anywhere where we will apply fiberglass is already ground and ready to go.
full

We put 5200 around the perimeter of the boat where the shoebox joint is. 5200 goes on both the hull and the deck
full

Next is the putty. We put putty on everything. Any two surfaces that get mated get putty.
full

full

Once everything is ready we lower the deck onto the hull. The shoebox fit forward portion of the hull and deck get screwed together. Aft, once the deck is down we get right to glassing. We glass inside the boat before we do the outer layers.
full

full

We layer multiple kinds of glass for strength and buildup
full

We put a layer of matt on as the final layer. Its the easiest to fair and work with.
full

Once everything is fastened up forward, we break the ends of the screws off, give it a light grind then make radius' with putty ahead of glass. Tomorrow morning we will run a layer of glass connecting the deck with the hull and liner.
full

For the most part we are the only company that will go in and actually finish off the inner hull to deck joint. Once this is all complete i'll post up a picture comparing our finished product to our competitors. Its a big difference...

Reactions: bman440440
Upvote 0

OMEGA

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 17, 2007
WA
Name
MCS
Boat Name
40 Cabo FB
Awesome boat. As a guy who recently purchased a 40 Cabo that was built in Adelanto CA I can tell you the build quality of any boat that has come out of this factory is second to none. I spent all winter updating systems and getting to know the boat. The deeper I went the more impressed I was. Access to systems and finish is fist class. Barrett and I have spoken over the phone several times and he has always taken the time to answer my Cabo related questions and is a super nice guy and boat building is in his DNA.

Thanks for sharing the build thread. Looks like this boat is going to be a yacht tender?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PacificBlue

Nov 25, 2011
USA
Name
JM
Boat Name
Still Looking
Barrett, this thread is above and beyond what most builders are willing to share, it just shows the confidence level of your team and the willingness of ownership to show all, and educate the consumer on high quality boat construction. The corporate types that run your competition don't have the balls to go to this level as their truth is so far from yours!
Question - 1/4" Al fuels tanks is USCG and ABS inspected vessel grade, coal tar coated is beyond spec. Did you consider fiberglass fuel tanks and can you comment on why you went with Al (which I happen to prefer)?

Upvote 0

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat Name
Mag Bay 33
Awesome boat. As a guy who recently purchased a 40 Cabo that was built in Adelanto CA I can tell you the build quality of any boat that has come out of this factory is second to none. I spent all winter updating systems and getting to know the boat. The deeper I went the more impressed I was. Access to systems and finish is fist class. Barrett and I have spoken over the phone several times and he has always taken the time to answer my Cabo related questions and is a super nice guy and boat building is in his DNA.

Thanks for sharing the build thread. Looks like this boat is going to be a yacht tender?
Thanks for the kind words. This boat actually has no owner right now but we are laying it out as a yacht tender. Seems like the last few boats we have sold have all ended up as tenders and we are building this to accommodate some of the requests we have been getting from the larger yacht tender market. I'm going to test props on this one, do a photoshoot with it then it'll probably be off to Florida for the fall shows.

Barrett, this thread is above and beyond what most builders are willing to share, it just shows the confidence level of your team and the willingness of ownership to show all, and educate the consumer on high quality boat construction. The corporate types that run your competition don't have the balls to go to this level as their truth is so far from yours!
Question - 1/4" Al fuels tanks is USCG and ABS inspected vessel grade, coal tar coated is beyond spec. Did you consider fiberglass fuel tanks and can you comment on why you went with Al (which I happen to prefer)?
I appreciate it. At the end of the day we're in a small industry, it doesn't take rocket science to figure out what the competition is doing. I can't count how many times I show up at the boat an hour early at the shows and there is someone from a competitors company crawling through the boat taking pictures of how we do things. I would put our boat up against the best boats on the market any day of the week. Our biggest asset are the employees we have and that is something that our competitors will never be able to duplicate. The craftsmanship and pride our guys put into every boat is something that really shows but unfortunately is seldom appreciated by most.

As for the tanks, we started with aluminum simply because it was easy at the time. We use Best Fab out of Bartow Florida as our tank builder. They build tanks for many of the companies in the industry and they do really nice work with tanks. For a time we wanted to change from a three tank layout to a single tank layout and actually went as far as building a boat with a single aluminum tank to test it. The boat performed the same and sat the same but the complexity involved in making the tank ultimately killed that idea. With todays ethanol fuels it is difficult to go with a fiberglass tank. There is a special resin and a specific fiberglass that you can use that will sustain ethanol fuels but it is cost prohibitive on a production level. We already build the boat with 100% expensive vinyl ester resin and the resin needed to do the tanks was four times the price. We tested the glass and resin and were seriously contemplating doing glass tanks but the stigma associated with having a fiberglass fuel tank wasn't worth the risk. The next model will be a diesel boat and we will build fiberglass tanks for that.

Upvote 0

matt86m

Not worthy of a Title
Apr 6, 2010
Fountain Valley, CA
Name
Matt
Boat Name
20' Tiara Pursuit
Would love to see one of these with a diesel and a pilot house! Couldn't afford to buy it but would love to see it.

Thanks for posting the build!

Upvote 0

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat Name
Mag Bay 33
Monday update. Glassing and reinforcing continued in various parts of the boat. We run a few extra layers of glass around the dive door where the hinges and mounts are.
full

full

This is how we finish off our transom. First we grind both the hull and deck pieces.
full

Once the grinding is finished we start adding glass. We use a variety of glass layers for strength.
full

This picture shows the low spot where the hull to deck joint is after the first round of fiberglass. We add in more glass to fill this void.
full

Once the glass on the transom has kicked we sand it to shape. One thing to notice is there is no filler back here. Anytime you use a filler you run the chance of shrinkage or cracking. With a high stress area like a transom we want nothing of the sort. Any low spot gets filled with fiberglass.
full

We do a second pass over the hull to deck joint before gelcoat.
full

Once everything is sanded we brush gelcoat over all the bonds. We thicken it slightly and use it as a base to sand.
full

full

Since this is the first boat with no bait tank we had to add a piece of nonskid where there previously was none. We put the nonskid down with a layer of 3/4oz matte.
full

While all the fun stuff was going on at the transom Luis and I got the t-top frame and aft console installed. We will install the hardtop tomorrow.
full

More updates mid week. As always if you have any questions please ask away.

Upvote 0

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat Name
Mag Bay 33
Been too busy with projects on the boat; haven't taken a lot of pictures this week. Here's a small update.

After we do the first pass of gelcoat we sand, fair and spray the final coat.
full

full

full

The patch of nonskid that was added was prepped and sprayed
full

Wiring is going really well with the majority of the boat wiring finished. We've started the motor wiring and we'll finish off with the electronics. This particular piece is inside the t-top box where nobody will see.
full

Rub rail going on. We're the only company that doesn't use a rubber backing. We've found that when you use 5200 as a backing it creates a cushion. A little hard to explain but it works. We 5200 both pieces and add more sealant as we screw the rub rail to the boat.
full

Its pretty nice when a 1" piece of rub rail will cover your entire hull to deck joint.
full

I'll take more pictures tomorrow and post them up.

Upvote 0