Madmacs 240

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
Aug 7, 2008
Westminster, CA
Name
Brian
Boat Name
2005 Grady White Seafarer 228 (no name yet)
Anyone running and getting bites on the 240? Heard a couple preferring them but most running the 160 and 200.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I'm to smart to figure out how to edit this.
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Fishead
    Those bigger models of BFT eat 10 lb skipjack / bonita for breakfast. A 10" lure isn't too big? Put it back there and make sure it's not "positional" bite. Good luck.

Upvote 0

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
    Aug 7, 2008
    Westminster, CA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat Name
    2005 Grady White Seafarer 228 (no name yet)
    Those bigger models of BFT eat 10 lb skipjack / bonita for breakfast. A 10" lure isn't too big? Put it back there and make sure it's not "positional" bite. Good luck.
    Yes I understand what they can eat. What they can eat and what they eat when they get here are completely different.

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat Name
    Royal Star
    Anyone running and getting bites on the 240? Heard a couple preferring them but most running the 160 and 200.
    The smaller 200 can be trolled faster than the 240, those panga guys in Ensenada catching bluefin on them troll pretty fast and several hundred yards back.

Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat Name
    skiff
    The 200 stays in the water better than the 160. When we were coming down swell at 14-15 mph the 160 would pop. If we were going cross swell the 160 was fine.

Yesterday, black and purple caught one in sunny conditions.

Reactions: watersdeep
    Upvote 0

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 12, 2006
    Glendora Ca
    Name
    Leon
    Boat Name
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
    The 200 stays in the water better than the 160. When we were coming down swell at 14-15 mph the 160 would pop. If we were going cross swell the 160 was fine.

Yesterday, black and purple caught one in sunny conditions.
    Are you trolling them with a leader, if so what test/wire, is there a swivel between the main line and the lure?
    Thanks.

Upvote 0

bajachild

• Jul 13, 2005
    so. cal
    Name
    mike
    Boat Name
    2019 Montauk 170
    Are you trolling them with a leader, if so what test/wire, is there a swivel between the main line and the lure?
    Thanks.
    We used about 60’ of 100lb mono. From either the 80lb or 100lb braided reels. No swivel. Used a SD jam knot. Worked perfect. Got a 111 and 50 pounder on the purple with black mackerel stripes. (See my (kid’s)post from the other day)

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat Name
    skiff
    Thanks.
    On Wednesday we trolled them with a 4-5 foot leader of 135 mono with a swivel - they swam fine but we didn't get bit.

Yesterday, we ran them with 80 lb mono with and FG knot to San Diego Jam knot. We got bit but the Madmac 200 was all the way down the gullet. The leader was chaffed pretty bad. If the fight had been longer we would have lost the fish and lure. Tomorrow my son is going to run the 135 mono with a swivel.

Yesterday's school was bigger and more aggressive than Wednesday's fish. We are hoping it's not the leader that made a difference.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I'm to smart to figure out how to edit this.
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Fishead
    Might I suggest a trick that will make those MAD MACKS irresistible. When making your 6 foot leader for the MADMACK.... that you swage 2 bead sleeve combination stops.... and rig 4 1/2" or 6" squid skirts 2 feet apart on the leader. Before tying your swivel and mainline.... also put a skirt up the mainline.... and slide it over the swivel..... making a effective "Daisy Chain" leader with the lure.... MARAUDER or MAD MACK on the end.

If you plan to run more than 1 of those vibration plugs simultaneously.... "Daisy Chain" one up....to run against the naked one of the same color. Prove to yourself....either way. For.me.... catches when others aren't. Good luck.

Upvote 0