Lundalakan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 29, 2016
Socal, Poway
Name
Lou
Boat
Lund alaskan
Got tired of pulling in deeper lobster nets so I cobbled together this power davit. Mostly because I was bored and needed a project. I already had a folbe block. I picked up a scrap 1.5” steel tube, remnant of 1/4” aluminum sheet, a used wheel chair motor and rim from eBay, weather proof box and 75a switch And a SS rod holder.
A2E2544B-5CD4-44E7-AC8B-2669EA07B11D.jpeg
1EB4CB13-B00F-4AD6-923F-9697F131D7D5.jpeg
The pipe was bent at a muffler shop 70*. Cut aluminum sheet down to a reasonable size for the motor/pulley combo . Bolted and wired everything up, added a scrap of inner tube to wheel rim to give the pulley some grab. Added an led light to the outboard end of the davit.
The goal was to build a functional puller as inexpensively as possible. Done with basic hand tools. Circular saw with aluminum blade, angle grinder, cordless drill, hole saw, palm sander, mill bastard.

in the end it was a success. Total outlay, $225. The motor goes 12/24v. I have it on 12v now and the speed is acceptable although a marginally slow. Bumping to 24 v would be too fast I think, need to try it though.

Trayscool

Captain
Sep 26, 2008
Long Beach
www.skipjackmafia.com
Name
Travis
Boat
NO BOATS
That’s badass nice work. Only comment Is your gonna have to watch because If the net is stuck on the bottom it may bend that pipe right in half. I’ve seen the electric pullers get stuck with a net on the bottom and they have mandrel bends. Yours looks crush bent.

Reactions: jaw1970

pargoman

Perpetual Newbie
May 24, 2006
socal
Name
Steve
Boat
Alloy
That’s badass nice work. Only comment Is your gonna have to watch because If the net is stuck on the bottom it may bend that pipe right in half. I’ve seen the electric pullers get stuck with a net on the bottom and they have mandrel bends. Yours looks crush bent.
For added strength and for good looks, add a tubing section to triangularly reinforce the inner bend. Overall, nice work!

Reactions: Lundalakan

Lundalakan

Sep 29, 2016
Socal, Poway
Name
Lou
Boat
Lund alaskan
Found out last night how much torque that motor has, a lot. Had a net stuck on the bottom and it really pulled things. Lesson learned

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
I would also be concerned about how the base is attached to the boat. I don't think most rod holders are up to the job.

Lundalakan

Sep 29, 2016
Socal, Poway
Name
Lou
Boat
Lund alaskan
I would also be concerned about how the base is attached to the boat. I don't think most rod holders are up to the job.
I considered that. It’s braced underneath in the locker it’s in

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
Yes that can get old when the traps are weighted and empty!
Are you fishing at Cat? We fish deep over there