MA7 5-12-11 - The other third of the trifecta... just on a different day.

Quan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 21, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Name
Quan
Boat
Defiance Admiral 220 EX "Hawksbeard"
Well, I finished out my trifecta in MA7 for the season. Went out and caught me a Hali! 56lbs on a big B2 trailed with a purple label herring. Also dropped the shrimp pots but the winds kicked up HARD and I only came back with a little over a limit (estimated) and I bagged the Ling fishing completely. If the wind hadn't kicked up, I would've tried for the real trifecta (all three in one day).

Here's the pics!

The CRAZY part of it all... when I was reeling the thing in, my buddy thought he was hooked up too for a second. We yelled out "Double header!" but soon he realized his line was just tangled on mine. Well... at least that's what we thought. Got the fish in the boat and it turns out... the damned fish ate BOTH of our baits! Here's a picture with both of our spreader bars and both baits in his gullet.

This fucker was hard to hold up after reeling it in.

Gotta show the Bloody Deck!

And the bloody bilge.

Here's the picture of me pretending it wasn't heavy to hold up.

And here's the side dish.

JohnVH

Johnny 5 is Alive!!
Mar 17, 2011
Lynden, WA
Name
John
Boat
20' of Baylitter
Awesome job!! Great BD shot! Looks like you got midevil on its ass! haha

Quan

Aug 21, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Name
Quan
Boat
Yeah... my boat ain't exactly built to take on Halibut that size so while it was gaffed on the side of the boat... we pulled the weights off the spreader bars, slit it's gills, then flopped it in the boat... then got the HELL out of the way. After it sufficiently covered the deck in blood, we beat it over the head, hog tied it, and then let it hang on the side of the boat. Man it was awesome getting a Hali in the boat this year!

JohnVH

Johnny 5 is Alive!!
Mar 17, 2011
Lynden, WA
Name
John
Boat
20' of Baylitter
I think Im going to bring my .44 and just shoot them in the water. hahaha

kingfisher1

Feb 17, 2009
WA
Name
Aaron
Boat
n/a
Now that's what a real 56 lb'r looks like.

Well done on the bloody mess. My guess is that the fish was a little angry after being hauled in and tried to make you pay...?

What's the cord for on the last pic. You still got that fished pooned in fear of loosing it? :D

Quan

Aug 21, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Name
Quan
Boat
Ha. Yeah, Aaron, I had the thing strung to the side of the boat because there's no where else to put a fish that size on my small boat. I had just pulled it out of the boat at home and hadn't pulled the rope out of it's mouth yet before taking the picture. The rope wasn't actually connected to anything at that point.

rkcarguy

Dec 4, 2009
North Puget Sound
Name
Ryan
Boat
4' more baylitter than JohnVH
Ha...yeah I remember you had to taco the 28#er to get it into the fish box....that fattie must have been a handfull.
MA7 north or south?

Mar 14, 2010
Seattle/WA/USA
Name
Loren
Boat
25,ACB,Snapdragon
Good job that is a hell of a nice fish, and it is extra exciting to catch it in a small boat. You make me feel like an idiot for spending so much money on my boat.