Saltwater MA-13 Dogs! The Curse Is Broken!!!

Trent

Almost A Member
Jul 16, 2009
Olympia WA
Name
Trent E Rickman
Boat
20' NorthWest Signature
Today was all about convincing my brother Toby that he was not bad luck and he didn't cause all the fish to have lock-jaw every time he came out in the boat! We met up at 8:00 am and headed for Boston Harbor. The tide was at +3.5' when we arrived at the ramp, which made it rather interesting trying to get Clifford off the trailer without putting all four tires of the truck in the water. We finally managed and enjoyed a beautiful morning cruising the MA-13 inlets and catching Chum. By 12:45 pm we had our limits, two bucks and two hens, plus we had released a bunch, so we pulled anchor and called it a day... I think the mission was successful!!!

YouTube - Chum Thumping with Toby

9df72af8.jpg

These Chum are a blast, especially on light tackle! None of 'em last weekend were nearly as "bright" as I was trying to convince myself or my brother that they were... in fact, they're looks really represented yesterday's holiday well! But none of the fish we kept are going to waste! We bled 'em, put 'em on ice and filleted 'em as soon as we got home. Most will be going in the smoker and we might have to try making fish-n-chips with some, as a few folks have suggested.
This particular run we've been fishing is one of the earliest to return to MA-13 and it's definitely towards the tail end of it. I have heard that many fish in this run return in early September, which wouldn't be too hard to believe considering the number of floaters we saw coming out of the creek.
There are other runs in MA-13 that are just beginning, so we do catch much brighter fish than these down here.... no self persuasion necessary!!!
Here's a picture of a couple of MA-13 Chum I caught last year, Nov. 20th!

Nov20.jpg

Upvote 0

monsterfishin

MONSTER
Feb 12, 2010
Bellingham/Wa/USA
Name
Steve
Boat
Seabird V24, Shameless
You made my day! The vidio was great and helped with the depression of pulling my boat for the year, those sea monsters look to be a blast on snoopy spin poles!

Upvote 0

mukl

Almost A Member
Aug 4, 2010
wa
I had one last chance to hit MA11 when the weather was nice Thursday. One last chance because I started a new job today, so I'll be limited to weekend outings now.

Started at the mouth of Gig Harbor with marks showing everywhere. It was a rare day because I could see my downrigger ball on my depthfinder, so I know I was putting my junk in front of the fish. I say junk because no matter what I put in front of them they didn't like it.

Mooched the Claybanks at the tide change...no marks or bait in that area. So back to GH where there seemed to be even more bait and some big marks and a few more boats had arrived. No one was getting any action trolling. What was strange, was the tide was moving very slow...so I decided to make a couple of passes mooching...got two really good hits...they didn't stick, nor did they take my hooks...so I'm assuming they weren't dogfish.

So...to Trent's point...there are some fish out there still...don't be afraid to mooch for them...it seems the chums really like small, slow bait down this way.

By the way...there was a trawler parked out there...further validating the presence of the fish.

If anyone can get out, you might try mooching over there in lieu of the usual trolling that goes on. But, beware, mooching is not allowed off of Sunrise Park (only trolling). I tried to pinpoint the exact latitude given in the WDFW guide, but I haven't been able to...I'm assuming the houses aren't in the park, so its safe to say you have to be south of the pink/orange house. I think that puts you well outside the boundry of the park.

Jeez I ramble...

Upvote 0

baja kid

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 8, 2010
Olympia Wa, usa
Name
kelly c
Boat
18ft sealaker porthole
Trent,
great vidio , just to let you know on the way to were you are fishing . The dogs showed up in numbers with that rain yesterday at m/c . I'm Fishtrap Gordens neighbor at Zangle cove. Hey if your not doing anything Thursday night Nov 4th come on over to the Lacey community bld 6729 Pacific ave 7-9 pm to are fishing club Puget Sound Anglers check it out lots of fun and good people. i will be the guy selling beverages. the club has a bobber dog outing on Sat the 6th leave Boston Harbor. Keep up the good work. and hide the w-d

Upvote 0

Trent

Almost A Member
Jul 16, 2009
Olympia WA
Name
Trent E Rickman
Boat
20' NorthWest Signature
Trent would you mind telling us about your camera choice? that vid is so good I'm jonseing for chum now just from my cheezy 15" flatscreen

All of my pictures and videos are shot, edited, and published with my iPhone.

Upvote 0

Trent

Almost A Member
Jul 16, 2009
Olympia WA
Name
Trent E Rickman
Boat
20' NorthWest Signature
Mine is a 3GS which shoots full RES video. But I just got my wife the new 4G iPhone... it shoot HD video!!!

Hey Kelly, do ya know which house is 8135 Zangle Rd NE? That's where we lived when I was born. In fact, my dad and my grandfather built that house in 1961!

Upvote 0

baja kid

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 8, 2010
Olympia Wa, usa
Name
kelly c
Boat
18ft sealaker porthole
I do. no wonder you know how to put the hurtin on those Boston Harbor Kings !
really enjoy your write- ups and vidios Trent.
We sure love living out here i grew up in South bay .
keep up the good work.
Kelly

Upvote 0