Saltwater MA 10 - What a season!!

KaiChung

Aug 10, 2009
Newcastle/WA/USA
Name
Kai
Boat
Boston Whaler Conquest 28.5
I went out to the marina this morning and the wind was blowing like crazy. Decided to cancel and since the rain is moving in for the week, I'm guessing that the season is over. But what a season!!

Starting in late July, I was seeing the crazy chinook catching in Area 9. But never ventured up there. But by the last week of July, the kings started showing up in 10. I was getting skunked every other trip, but still managed some really large ones including a 15 pounder and a 23 pounder. By the start of August, I was going out nearly every day and limiting on kings pretty much every trip - the first that has every happened. And the bonus were the large pinks that were everywhere. I don't care what anyone says - a smoked pink is some good eats!

The king season got cut short as always, but it wasn't long before the coho started showing up. By the first week of September, I was getting my limit every time - usually a combination of coho and pinks. By the second week, the coho were everywhere. We were catching our limits quickly. Even with 4 on board, we would pick up 6 or 8, most around the 6 pound range, but occasionally hitting 10. By the third week, we were still limiting, but the fish were bigger averaging 8 pounds or so. Fishing continued to be great, even yesterday where we picked up 4 in a few hours.

We truly are blessed to have such a great fishery just minutes from a major city. I'm also really thankful for all of the BD friends I've interacted with for fishing tips, information, and encouraging each other when fishing was slow. Not the mention the occasional smack talk. :-). Especially @bdrlgion , @sgwill122, @Siv , @Tish .

Till next year. Tight lines!

IMG_4192.JPG

IMG_4272.JPG

IMG_4289.jpg

IMG_4424.jpg

IMG_4453.JPG

IMG_4648.jpg

IMG_4673.JPG

IMG_4802.jpg

IMG_4831.JPG

Mikehatz

May 19, 2021
Seattle, WA
Name
Mike Hatzenbeler
Boat
1990 Arima Sea Chaser 17
I went out to the marina this morning and the wind was blowing like crazy. Decided to cancel and since the rain is moving in for the week, I'm guessing that the season is over. But what a season!!

Starting in late July, I was seeing the crazy chinook catching in Area 9. But never ventured up there. But by the last week of July, the kings started showing up in 10. I was getting skunked every other trip, but still managed some really large ones including a 15 pounder and a 23 pounder. By the start of August, I was going out nearly every day and limiting on kings pretty much every trip - the first that has every happened. And the bonus were the large pinks that were everywhere. I don't care what anyone says - a smoked pink is some good eats!

The king season got cut short as always, but it wasn't long before the coho started showing up. By the first week of September, I was getting my limit every time - usually a combination of coho and pinks. By the second week, the coho were everywhere. We were catching our limits quickly. Even with 4 on board, we would pick up 6 or 8, most around the 6 pound range, but occasionally hitting 10. By the third week, we were still limiting, but the fish were bigger averaging 8 pounds or so. Fishing continued to be great, even yesterday where we picked up 4 in a few hours.

We truly are blessed to have such a great fishery just minutes from a major city. I'm also really thankful for all of the BD friends I've interacted with for fishing tips, information, and encouraging each other when fishing was slow. Not the mention the occasional smack talk. :-). Especially @bdrlgion , @sgwill122, @Siv , @Tish .

Till next year. Tight lines!

View attachment 1321721

View attachment 1321722

View attachment 1321723

View attachment 1321724

View attachment 1321725

View attachment 1321726

View attachment 1321727

View attachment 1321728

View attachment 1321729
Impressive season! It's been a pleasure reading your reports while also a bit frustrating not being able to come close to the success you've had. Would love to have the opportunity to learn from you at some point.

Reactions: KaiChung
Upvote 0

PHW

Nov 20, 2011
Sammamish/WA/USA
Name
Peter warren
Boat
Lund Pro Sport
It’s not over…yet! Next weekend will be it for me. Some willing biters still. Working hard for them. Thanks for the great reports. Selling my boat and moving south (as in OK) next summer but will be fishing up in Area 7 and Canada each summer. I’ll always check in and lurk from afar. Be safe all and I hope the WA state fisheries come back….eventually. Lifetime resident but on to new adventures.

8F5742AA-9F40-4BF2-A7F4-297157F9DF56.jpeg

Upvote 0

KaiChung

Aug 10, 2009
Newcastle/WA/USA
Name
Kai
Boat
It’s not over…yet! Next weekend will be it for me. Some willing biters still. Working hard for them. Thanks for the great reports. Selling my boat and moving south (as in OK) next summer but will be fishing up in Area 7 and Canada each summer. I’ll always check in and lurk from afar. Be safe all and I hope the WA state fisheries come back….eventually. Lifetime resident but on to new adventures.

View attachment 1321959
What a great picture! Gorgeous sunrise on a perfectly calm day.

Upvote 0

firtree

• May 19, 2020
    Shilshole
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Scout Abaco 280
    What about the second wave I keep hearing about in the straits? Any chance we will get another burst in A9/A10?

Upvote 0

KaiChung

Aug 10, 2009
    Newcastle/WA/USA
    Name
    Kai
    Boat
    What about the second wave I keep hearing about in the straits? Any chance we will get another burst in A9/A10?
    I always hear about this "second wave" from all the fish now in Sekiu and the strait. I have no idea where the fish go with that wave, but I know I've never seen them...

Upvote 0

CodigoRojo

Sep 21, 2017
    Seattle
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Arima 17
    You'll know when it's time to quit coho for the season. When you're consistently rolling over large schools and not able to get a bite no matter what you try, that's how they tell you they're done for the year. It's usually right around early October. It's been an epic year for me, so I won't be too sad when it ends. Time to plan winter projects on the boat.

Upvote 0

Mikehatz

May 19, 2021
    Seattle, WA
    Name
    Mike Hatzenbeler
    Boat
    1990 Arima Sea Chaser 17
    You'll know when it's time to quit coho for the season. When you're consistently rolling over large schools and not able to get a bite no matter what you try, that's how they tell you they're done for the year. It's usually right around early October. It's been an epic year for me, so I won't be too sad when it ends. Time to plan winter projects on the boat.
    Lol, that describes my Saturday morning. But I suspect that had more to do with the fisherman than the fish.

Upvote 0

CodigoRojo

Sep 21, 2017
    Seattle
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Arima 17
    Kai- Thanks for your enthusiasm and attitude. I've had a great season fishing mostly in A10 myself. It's been a great year in the sound. Most importantly, it's been fun and challenging and I've had a great time with friends and family. Not to mention the good eats! Fish on!

Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
    Nov 30, 2010
    Redondo/WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    This is about the time you get massive amounts of shakers on the line. It's tough to get to the larger ones when you have a shaker on the line within 1-2 minutes. At least that has been my experience for the last 40 years..

Reactions: Mikehatz
    Upvote 0

KaiChung

Aug 10, 2009
    Newcastle/WA/USA
    Name
    Kai
    Boat
    Went out for the last time today. Got a 4 pounder, a lot of shakers, and a couple of decent sized blackmouth. What a year though. Last week was a spectacular bonus. Weekend - not so much.

Reactions: PHW
    Upvote 0

CodigoRojo

Sep 21, 2017
    Seattle
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Arima 17
    I'm going to give it one more try Fri-Sat. I've got nothing better planned. The tides look decent as long as the weather holds. Might have to move around to find the fish.

Reactions: KaiChung
    Upvote 0

Mikehatz

May 19, 2021
    Seattle, WA
    Name
    Mike Hatzenbeler
    Boat
    1990 Arima Sea Chaser 17
    I'm going to give it one more try Fri-Sat. I've got nothing better planned. The tides look decent as long as the weather holds. Might have to move around to find the fish.
    Me too. My father is coming into town and he wants an opportunity to fish the Sound. Weather forecast doesn't look very good at this point though.

Upvote 0

Mikehatz

May 19, 2021
    Seattle, WA
    Name
    Mike Hatzenbeler
    Boat
    1990 Arima Sea Chaser 17
    The weather doesn't look horrible at the moment. Light wind and slight chance of rain. Things change in 5 days though.
    Went out for a few hours this afternoon because the weather was so nice. Nothing but shakers at West Point and Meadow Point. Only a few boats out there and didn't see any nets moving anywhere. Will try the early bite Saturday morning to give pops a little more time on the Sound.

Upvote 0

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
    Indianola & Browns Point
    Name
    kwik_wurk
    Boat
    Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
    Did 2.5 hrs this late morning, one dink coho (let itself go at the boat). - A handful of small blackmouth, much bigger than the shaker variety. Saw plenty of marks in a few places.

Upvote 0

firtree

• May 19, 2020
    Shilshole
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Scout Abaco 280
    I’m going to give it a go tomorrow for the morning tide and then pack it up for salmon until whatever the next season is. I’m going to have to get serious about squid and crabs.

Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
    Nov 30, 2010
    Redondo/WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    Hey Guys - From lot's of October fishing during my life in MA11, this is prime-time for shakers. Sometimes it got to the point of a shaker within one minute of reseting. I always figured....holy cow...with this many shakers, it's be a great return or BM season next year...not so much. You injure alot more of those than mature fish, so your choice, but hooking 30 shakers isn't helping the bio-mass IMO. To each their own.......

Reactions: Tish
    Upvote 0