LX6/3 - MC drag issue

Capn Cole

Mar 27, 2015
Jalicso, Mexico
Name
scott
Boat
Loyolla 27' super panga
I have an LX6/3 - MC reel which I won in a tournament that I use with 30# mono, mostly for kayak fishing. The drag seems to have fallen off drastically after only half a dozen uses. I can only get about 5# of drag at max. The reel gets pretty wet, but I soak it in fresh water after every use.

Is this normal for this reel, or is there something I can do to increase drag besides thumbing the spool?

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
Brookings Oregon
Name
mike
Boat
19"Gregor
You should never soak a reel.A light fresh water rinse with the drag engaged let dry and then release drag.By soaking a reel you are causing water intrusion.Your reel probably needs service.

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    If you had braid line next to the spool I'd say the braid was slipping but you say you fish mono. Hmm. What about this: If you won the reel, you may not know how to fish it. Has the preset knob slipped?

Upvote 0

Capn Cole

Mar 27, 2015
    Jalicso, Mexico
    Name
    scott
    Boat
    Loyolla 27' super panga
    The advice to soak the reel in fresh water came form on of the Avet threads. I don't have instructions for the reel, so will look up instructions for pre set

Upvote 0

Capn Cole

Mar 27, 2015
    Jalicso, Mexico
    Name
    scott
    Boat
    Loyolla 27' super panga
    "By soaking a reel you are causing water intrusion.Your reel probably needs service."

As I mentioned in my OP, the reel is used kayak fishing. Where I fish, a surf entry is required, and the reel is soaked every time. I also have two Calcuttas which I have treated the same way for years without trouble

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    The preset knob is the silver knob in the center of the handle side of the reel. To set it, put the reel in free spool (move the lever to 9 o'clock position) and turn the preset knob clockwise perhaps a quarter turn. Then put the lever at the strike position and pull out line. The drag should be heavier than it was before you set the preset.

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
    Oceanside Ca.
    Name
    Mike Morris
    Boat
    prowler kayak
    You should learn more about the reels so you can service yourself beach launch will invite salt water and fine sand in your reel opening them up is the only way to truly clean them I'm no fan of dunking your reel in F W bad for the drags and the bearings they will rust

Reactions: kevina and One_Leg
    Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    The advice to soak the reel in fresh water came form on of the Avet threads. I don't have instructions for the reel, so will look up instructions for pre set
    As Mike stated in post #2. Every tackle shop that I spoke with, Also says not to soak your reel in anything, Just rinse off with water and wipe dry. I'm sure their is some people that swear by soaking your reels are the way to clean them!

Upvote 0

esgeo

over 40 victim of fate
    Feb 12, 2015
    Tulsa, OK
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Feelfree Lure 11.5
    I could not agree with you more. I service all of my other tackle, build rods, tie flies and build my own spearguns but this one reel is new to me and I don't have a manual

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9313.0

This tutorial should help, but it's for a single speed reel. Jx and lx are same frame diameter. I suggest registering on the board (it's free), you can ask further questions there.

Upvote 0

Pablo2fish

A humble student of the game.
    Oct 27, 2008
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    Aquasport 250 Explorer
    This video on You Tube by Mark Mayo is how I learned.
    Avets are very easy to work on. Once you get it down you should be able to service one in a 1/2 hour. Soaking it in fresh water is not a good idea, the reel will stay wet inside for a long time. My JX Raptor took a direct soaking from a deckhand with the hose, two weeks later the anti reverse failed. When I opened it up it was still wet inside. You might want to replace the bearings with ceramic Boca Bearings.

Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    Avet reels are very easy to service. The LX is too much reel for the yak, but free is free. Congrats. That reel will take on a lot of salt ware during a beach launch, so a reel cover is your friend.

Only getting 5#'s of drag sounds like a mechanical issue. Is the spectra is slipping you can lock it down, and see the move faster than the spool.

I would start with the lever mechanisms. they create the drag.
    Parts 23-29.
    http://www.avetreels.net/parts/lx-series/lx-63.html

Upvote 0