LX Raptor Noisy Bearings after only 3 months

tonydmm2

Jun 8, 2016
so cal
Name
tony D
Boat
gypsy queen
Bought at turners, only caught 3 rockfish and after about 3 dozen casts I noticed the bearings starting making noise when I cast and retrieve??? I expected it to last at least a few years till I had bearing issues, geeze. I'm wondering if I should just grease the bearings or replace with some upgraded bearings (ceramic I guess). I'm sure avet will fix under warrantee, but I might go out this weekend and I doubt if I'll get it back in time.

I'm wondering if Turners or Longfin can do the warrantee service for me and have Avet reimburse them, I'd be willing to pay for the upgraded bearings since the stock ones are obviously crap, just like everyone says online.

Guess I'll have to fish with my shimano talica this weekend. I'll be pissed if I hook a 200 lb bluefin and I need the 2 speed.

Funny how I've had my sx for two years and caught about a dozen 30 lb yellow tail and bluefin and it still works like new. I did service it this winter.

Reactions: pukahd
Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
if it's that new then take it back to turners and say you want a new one and then read the instructions about not adjusting the drag with the lever anywhere but freespool

Reactions: mike1010
Upvote 0

tonydmm2

Jun 8, 2016
so cal
Name
tony D
Boat
gypsy queen
if it's that new then take it back to turners and say you want a new one and then read the instructions about not adjusting the drag with the lever anywhere but freespool
I never did adjust the drag unless in free spool, unless someone grabbed it on the boat and did it without my knowledge, which is unlikely. It was the 3 dozen casts that wore out the bearings, I was practicing in my field and on the boat quite frequently. I engraved the casing with my name, so I doubt they will just give me a new one, but thx for the suggestion. I called them and they said they don't have any spare bearings in stock to service this.

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    If it's making noise when you cast then odds are the spool bearings are bad. This is almost always caused by one thing: salt water intrusion. If you didn't rinse your reel after **every** trip and occasionally pop it open and lube the bearings, this sort of thing is bound to happen. I'm sure any competent reel mechanic can fix your problem in a jiffy. It may need a couple new bearings, but those are cheap. As for ceramic bearings: They really aren't necessary.

Reactions: Carl and tonydmm2
    Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    changing the bearings isn't hard...just call up a schematic on the computer and lay out each piece as it comes apart...minimum tools are needed and you can get an entire set of every bearing in the reel for less then forty bucks or the right one if you identify it correctly from avet for around five bucks in about three days...you may just have gotten a bad bearing from the factory...some tackle stores have them too squidco in san diego fishermans landing probably dana landing too

Reactions: tonydmm2
    Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    Buy extra spool bearings. You're going to need them.

yes especially if you take them out in a kayak and dunk them ...i have one avet that needed bearings and it was the one i used to take on a kayak a bunch...on regular boats if you don't dunk them in a bait tank and rinse them under a misting type spray instead of a forceful water spray driving water into the inside they will do just fine.i own nine ...one of which is 16-7 years olsd and have had one bearing failure twice on the one reel that got dunked repeatedly when i used to use my kayak all the time

Upvote 0

tonydmm2

Jun 8, 2016
    so cal
    Name
    tony D
    Boat
    gypsy queen
    I never did adjust the drag unless in free spool, unless someone grabbed it on the boat and did it without my knowledge, which is unlikely. It was the 3 dozen casts that wore out the bearings, I was practicing in my field and on the boat quite frequently. I engraved the casing with my name, so I doubt they will just give me a new one, but thx for the suggestion. I called them and they said they don't have any spare bearings in stock to service this.

Upvote 0

tonydmm2

Jun 8, 2016
    so cal
    Name
    tony D
    Boat
    gypsy queen
    yes especially if you take them out in a kayak and dunk them ...i have one avet that needed bearings and it was the one i used to take on a kayak a bunch...on regular boats if you don't dunk them in a bait tank and rinse them under a misting type spray instead of a forceful water spray driving water into the inside they will do just fine.i own nine ...one of which is 16-7 years olsd and have had one bearing failure twice on the one reel that got dunked repeatedly when i used to use my kayak all the time
    the reel was never dunked or abused, I'm smarter than the average fisherman, lol.

Upvote 0

arenpilav41

jjpilav
    Mar 28, 2013
    Encino, CA
    Name
    Pilav
    Boat
    No Boat
    Its pretty interesting to me when I hear about people having issues with new Avets... I have an sx, mxl, jx, LX raptor, and HX, and have never had to change a bearing or anything. I clean them with fresh water after every trip, store them with the drag backed off, and service them myself twice a year. Ive had that MXL the longest for just about 8 years, and I have just recently been noticing a little bit of resistance with the freespool, so maybe its time to replace my spool bearings. I dunno, maybe that reel you got came with a bad bearing or something?

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
    Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    Remember when you rinse it to leave the drag on till it drys.After drying release the drag.I have 4 avets never had a problem with any of them and all I do is skiff fish which is tough on tackle.

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    Great reels crappy bearings. Great customer service though. They will get the reel back to you ASAP.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to replace bearings on all my mine. But bang for the buck backed with the good customer service make them hard to beat.

Upvote 0

tonydmm2

Jun 8, 2016
    so cal
    Name
    tony D
    Boat
    gypsy queen
    After talking to the avet rep, he said it is possible to crush the pinion bearings if you tighten the drag spool too much and then push the lever forward all the way. I believe I did just that, I was trolling an iron just to fix my backlash and it got bit or dove deep and I couldn't reel in, so I pushed the lever forward all the way and it still kept pulling line and I couldn't reel. I think this is a design deficiency that should be fixed, maybe a pinion bearing that can handle axial force and not get crushed. I'll look for an aftermarket bearing to do this and post back.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    After talking to the avet rep, he said it is possible to crush the pinion bearings if you tighten the drag spool too much and then push the lever forward all the way. I believe I did just that, I was trolling an iron just to fix my backlash and it got bit or dove deep and I couldn't reel in, so I pushed the lever forward all the way and it still kept pulling line and I couldn't reel. I think this is a design deficiency that should be fixed, maybe a pinion bearing that can handle axial force and not get crushed. I'll look for an aftermarket bearing to do this and post back.
    Or they could use a thrust bearing like the other leading reels. On the smaller, non-raptors I don't see a need but on the Raptors, thrust bearings would be a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    You will crush the pinion bearing on **all** lever drag reels if you push the drag too high. This is how they are designed; it's not a design flaw. The LX Raptor gets a ton of drag before you crush the pinion, but not an infinite amount...

Upvote 0

OFN

COB
    Mar 18, 2007
    Leona Valley
    Name
    Nat
    Boat
    Striper 2150, Indie
    I must be lucky. Been fishing Avets for some years now and have older Avets and the new raptors. I do basic post trip cleaning (fresh water dunk) and annual tear down and lube. I replaced one bearing on an HXJ that literally went overboard with the rod at Benitos (that will teach me to not cast with slippery fishy hands) and was retrieved by a guy yo yoing iron about six hours later (that was a miracle). So I have a hard time understanding how people have issues with these reels.

Upvote 0