Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
18' Crestliner Superhawk, 14' Tracker "Fish Git' RRR"
Question Guys, what's the rod clamp for your LX made out of?

I picked up an Avet LX 6/3 yesterday and when I opened the rod clamp hardware bag the friggin rod clamp was PLASTIC??? My friend got one a few months and I could have sworn his reel came with an aluminum rod clamp.

$400 and I get a plastic rod clamp??? Wassup with that?

nmbrinkman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 18, 2006
San Diego
Name
Nathan
Boat
12 oz frosty mug
my single speed LX that I bought a year ago came with a plastic clamp. No biggie since I don't use it anyway.

fish_whisperer

shoulda seen it yesterday
Jun 30, 2006
slo-cal
Name
Kristina
Boat
none that works
both the LX my husband bought in may and the one i won last july in the avet contest came with plastic clamps.

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
The "plastic" Avet uses in its clamps is what Penn calls "graphite" in their reels. It's virtually indestructable, every bit as strong as it needs to be on an LX class reel and, of course, totaly corrosion resistant.

Hana pa'a Time

Nov 29, 2005
Oregon
Name
Kurt
Boat
24' North River Seahawk hardtop "Ohana Time"
Only my MX's and EX 4/0 came with and aluminum clamp. My others, JX and LX's all have the plastic/graphite clamp, no biggie since I replaced them all with BackBone clamps with hook keepers, except the EX.

Keta

Ignorant Sheep Farmer
Nov 13, 2005
Still in Oregon
Name
Lee
Boat
3' Too Short
The "plastic" is not plastic, it appears to be a carbon fiber reinforced material. I don't see a strength problem with this material. BTW, graphite rods are carbon fiber reinforced "plastic".

1:11

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
For $10 you can buy an anodized (matte finish) matching aluminum clamp from Avet, only thing is that it has the funky big ole hook holder ring. I bought one and keep it for back up in case the plastic one fails. The plastic clamp is lighter and plenty comfy and strong. I wouldnt sweat the clamp.

mmayo

Barking Spider
Jul 18, 2006
Tehachapi, CA
www.landofmayo.com
Name
Mark
Boat
Vagabond & Royal Star

I think the aluminum clamps I have are much better. I will replace my stock Avet graphite clamp with one that will last. It would seen that a reel that costs $300-$400 by a company that machines aluminum could make a clamp.

PS I took an old metal clamp from Pro Gear drilled it out slightly and I have a great METAL clamp that fits great. I have seen several plastic or graphite clamps broken on the day we leave for 3 or 8 days trips. The tackle store never has the right clamp and they cost a fortune.

Keta

Ignorant Sheep Farmer
Nov 13, 2005
Still in Oregon
Name
Lee
Boat
3' Too Short
You're about the same age as I am and we grew up with "cheep plastic crap". Plastic has come a long ways since the 50's, in fact for some applications modern plastic is stronger and better than aluminum. My brother makes "plastic" water rudders for float planes and they outlast metal ones (in saltwater) by a big margin. Cast carbon reinforced "plastic" is a good choice for a reel clamp and helps keep manufacturing cost down. Other reel manufactures use it too and it's far better than the piece of chromed sheet metal that came on my Penn 50SW.
I did order several EX clamps with the safety lug and use them when I feel a strap on the reel is a good idea.

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
18' Crestliner Superhawk, 14' Tracker "Fish Git' RRR"
It would seem that a reel that costs $300-$400 by a company that machines aluminum could make a clamp.​

My thoughts exactly. The graphite (or carbon fiber) impregnated plastic seems to be rigid enough for a reel clamp and is certainly more corrosion resistant than aluminum, but I was expecting an aluminum rod clamp from a company that specializes in machining aluminum. All the other Avets I have seen, and own, have an aluminum clamp. But now they are supplying some of thier reels with plastic clamps.

Heck, the $320 EX4/02 I bought last year came with a nice aluminum clamp, but the $400 LX6/3 has a plastic clamp? Just doesn't make sense to me, the consumer. More money, less value? It's certainly cheaper to punch out a few thousand plastic parts than to machine them from aluminum, but I wasn't budget shopping when I bought the LX6/3.

I'm sure the guys at Avet weighed the benefits of having an aluminum clamp VS a plastic clamp, and figured the aluminum clamp was overkill for this class of reel. But to me, getting an aluminum clamp with an Avet was a no-brainer, included in the price of the reel.

:rantoff:
That being said, the plastic rod clamp looks to be sufficient for this reel and I'll go ahead and use it instead of buying an aluminum clamp.

Thanks for the input everyone,
Dan

1:11

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
The MX reels, EX4/0, Pro 30, Pro 50 all come with aluminum, not sure about the SX. The JX and LX for seome reason have, and I believe always have come with the plastic. If in fact the plastic is low grade and resulted in clamp failures, I would agree with your arguement, but being that no failures or at least no large numbers of failures have resulted, its probably not a problem on a 40# reel. A nice looking polish machined aluminum clamp would be nice, but I have since grown to like the stock clamp. It keeps the weight down on your rig.