Lure Question

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Fishing Reports Forum' started by nekine, May 26, 2010.

1. nekine

nekine Newbie

Name:
    Spencer
    Boat:
    chris craft seahawk 22'
    Anybody have a preference on what lures to use out past the 40 fathom line? Mostly for ahis and mahis. What size do you recommend like the 9 inchers and above or something smaller like a 7 or below? Also what color combinations or colors in general do shibis and aku prefer? I know many guys have secret lures or colors but any advice would be helpful. Thanks- Spencer.

2. beauchat

beauchat Newbie

Name:
    Russ
    Boat:
    17 Radon
    If you search previous posts there are alot of ones about cherry lure combinations. The usual mainstays are blues over pinks, black over pink, orange, or purple, Gay bob etc. I like to run 7 inch lures and over time found that a good setup of smaller ones (5 inch and some 7's) are the consistent producers if you want to land kau kau fish. Bigger lures=bigger fish but on those days when searching for mahi etc. its the 5 and 7's for me. Ahi season 7's and 9's

Great link:

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/hawaii-fishing-reports/138536-show-me-your-lures.html

3. mikebk808

mikebk808 Stop crying and CRANK!

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Still looking
    on lure size, You got to know the size of bait their eating.

4. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    match the hatch!!!

5. tall8420man

tall8420man Newbie

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    Magic Man
    I use nine inch jets when trolling for AHI. But you should be flexible, be able to change it up at a moments notice. Mahis will go for about anything, but generally speaking a small 7 inch would work fine for all shapes and sizes of mahis. Green/Yellow are good, Blues and silvers also. Honestly though if your coming up to some birds or rubbish and you know its mahi just bait them. Charlie out and baited hooks. You will more than double your mahi count this way. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    But the all around best way is to cut open the stomach, see what they are eating and try to mimic what bait is in the water. It&#8217;s all about presentation and finding the fish.<o:p></o:p>

6. East Side

East Side Certified Masterb8er

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    23' Custom, Caroline II
    5-7" for Mahi I feel they bite these more often & get better hook up with something smaller.
    9" gernerally for trolling blind ahi, but depends on what their eating so sometimes put in 5" if your at the bouy & they stay there.

Some days the small kine aku & shibi wrap big lures. It all depends everyday is diffrent out there.

When coming up on rubbish i suggest keeping one lure out or two if you got outriggers way back because there will likely be a stray ono or two or sometimes 3+ hanging around in the yonders. Then you can bait up the squrily ass mahi on the back if they like come in on the charlie. It's good to have a small box of ika on you just in case they super picky that day. Make sure you got at least 20 bait hooks w/leaders ready to go. I use to keep 40 w/250 leader & 15 w/100lb leader all ready to go.

7. the_codfather

the_codfather Newbie

Name:
    Leon
    Boat:
    19' Micronesia Marine Pilothouse, 'ONO'
    There you go guys, you heard it here first. Super ono 'kona' tech; Pee on your lures.