Lure-Making 101/102 Student Work

Discussion in 'Home Built Fishing Lures' started by FishingHawaii, Mar 3, 2011.

1. FishingHawaii

FishingHawaii Newbie

Name:
    Jim Rizzuto
    Boat:
    24, Manta Cat, Rizzuto Maru
    I do my best to keep track of the work of my lure-making "students," and I take special note of any outstanding success stories. The lures in the accompanying image were made by Conor McDonough, a young man who lives up the road. Following the directions in my book he made a pill bottle lure (the bottom lure) and then shaped his own lure and made a rubber mold to make models like the top lure. He has now made dozens of lures using both methods but these are particularly outstanding. Using these two last week, he caught a pair of mahimahi, a striped marlin and a shortbill spearfish on the same trip. The shortbill weighed 61 pounds and is the largest spearfish caught off the Kona/Kohala Coast so far in 2011. Congratulations to Conor. He is following in a long lure-making tradition. His grandfather, my friend Sid Weinrich, was making lures and catching marlin with them back in the early 1960s.

Jim Rizzuto
    Lure-Making 101/102

Attached Files:

2. el capo

el capo Member

Name:
    miguel
    Boat:
    none
    Great story Jim, thanks for sharing!

3. Big Pancho

Big Pancho Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Frank Ochoa
    Boat:
    21' Seaswirl Striper
    Conor and teacher Jim congratulation!!!!!!!!!! Tell that young man to keep up the great work. I would be a proud teacher Mr. Rizzuto for guiding this young man in the right direction to make such wonderful works of art. Conor welcome to this wonderful world of building lures.

Frank

4. jarredondo684

jarredondo684 Newbie

Name:
    Joe A
    Looks like class is in session. Great work that is proven productive. Do you have any more pics of your "students" work? They would be great to see aswell.

5. FishingHawaii

FishingHawaii Newbie

Name:
    Jim Rizzuto
    Boat:
    The quickest way I can show you a lot of work from young students in one place is to show you the cover of the book. Of the 18 lures on the cover, half were made by my grandsons Kai and Kalei when they were 10 and 12. In the book, all of the steps in lure-making shown were done by Kai and Kalei when they were 12 and 14. That included making the molds. In particular, look at the bottom row and pick out lures 1, 4, 6, and 8 counting from the left. Each of those lures has a label inside with the name of the grandson who made it. In the top row, they are 1, 5, 6, and 7.

Jim Rizzuto
    Lure-Making 101/102

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  6. j3dgu

j3dgu Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Whaler 190, 130
    Congrats to Conor on his new found skill. I for one Jim would like to personally thank you. Your teachings in the book have guided me to a whole new hobby that I thought was out of reach because of the relatively remoteness and difficulty in getting supplies here on Guam. But a little out-of-the-box thinking can create workable lures. Thanks again Jim. BTW I may need to order a new copy, as mine if falling apart.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  7. FishingHawaii

FishingHawaii Newbie

Name:
    Jim Rizzuto
    Boat:
    Pm me for details. I'll be away most of next week so if I get the order tomorrow I can handle it before I go.

Jim Rizzuto
    Lure-Making 101/102

8. j3dgu

j3dgu Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Whaler 190, 130
    pm sent. let me know if it did not go throught.

9. FishingHawaii

FishingHawaii Newbie

Name:
    Jim Rizzuto
    Boat:
    Just for kicks. Here is an Online article I wrote in the late 1960s for publication in the September, 1970, Boys' Life. That's the publication of the Boy Scouts. I am linking it on this thread because it fits the topic of student work. Over 40 years later, it is still available to teach kids a simple way to make wire-through wooden fishing plugs. The method still works and involves no machine tools.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Le...esnum=4&ved=0CCcQ6AEwAzhu#v=onepage&q&f=false

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  10. FishingHawaii

FishingHawaii Newbie

Name:
    Jim Rizzuto
    Boat:
    For those of you who are unfamiliar with what a big shortbill spearfish looks like, here is the big one Conor McDonough caught on his newly made trolling lure. On the same trip, he caught a striped marlin and two mahimahi (in the white insulated fish bag behind him) on the same lure.

Jim Rizzuto
    Lure-Making 101/102

Attached Files:

11. Weeds2002

Weeds2002 Newbie

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Mad Senorita
    Team,
    As you can probably tell, Mr. Jim is a phenomenial contributor to the community of fishing. His work is not only tremendously entertaining and a real testament to the Hawaiian community of fishing, it is also extremely informative. If you have not read his stuff - take a look. Bread and butter of the business,

12. tsutomu

tsutomu Newbie

Name:
    garrett
    Boat:
    Anne's Revenge
    I grew up reading all the "fishing hawaii style" books. I still look threw and read them once in awhile. I think all 3 volumes have info on lure making and "off shore hunter" has some good info on how shapes perform. I haven't picked up the lure making book yet but all the older books has help guide me through lure making. I like to say I was a student before the school officially opened!
    Thanks for all of the great books Jim....

Attached Files: