Lunar lunacy w/ the Captain.

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
6/21/13. Went solo friday, saw some fish and got an ono, still my favorite eating fish.

6/23/13. Doing maintenance on the boat Saturday (oil/filters/add fuel) heard it was pretty good (plus talked w/ Chuck). Had to convince Nerlie Sunday would be a good day to go. And away we go. Cross the 1000 at first lite, already see a boat stopped, see birds, then see fish, very lazily eating a Sunday Morning breakfast. This was a slightly different trait than I am used to seeing, but it sure is cool to see those sickles sliding across the surface. Stay there for awhile, no bites so point the Kai'Nana out, get out almost to "the pocket" and decide to head back to the 1000, mind you we are still seeing fish bustin' as we are cruisin'.

Some where around 6:30 the center goes, Nerlie is (was) relaxing in the cabin, I'm in the tower. At first thought decent marlin, didn't head for the depths immediately, but eventually did. Get the killing field set up and get down to the labor of love. The fish took plenty of line so it takes awhile to get her to the boat, finally close, so take off the gear, set the rod in the holder and leader up and sink a gaff, Nerlie follows w/ a second one for good measure. Slide the bugga thru the door and celebrate. Clean up, set back up and get the fish put away.
DSCF0058.jpg
DSCF0063.jpg
Maybe an hour or so later in the same area the stbd rigger goes; same drill, only difference hook (9-0 hook 7" lure) pulled about 50 yds from leader, was worried about it the whole time fighting the fish. still got to enjoy the FUN part of the battle. Set back up the same rigger goes but comes off on the run. One of my selling points to Nerlie was we would try to be off the water around noon, we tied up at 12:15.
At least got to battle the second one.
DSCF0064.jpg
DSCF0071.jpg
Nerlie and I gave our thanks, put the Kai'Nana away, ready for another day. It sure was a fun way to spend a Sunday morning w/ the wife.
DSCF0074.jpg
JSI kinda day. 7" on rigger, 9" on center.

Cheers
Pat

changboy

Nov 9, 2009
Honolulu
Name
Brian
Boat
"PARIS C" 23 sportcraft custom
Pat, congtats on another nice fish and to get um with the wife is even sweater!

Hij

Aug 1, 2011
Mililani HI
Name
Jason Hijirida
Boat
25 Force, PAIGE H
Congrats Pat and Nerlie on your quality time together! Nice fish and too bad about the other two. You alway manage to find the fish and fight them stand up. That amazes me. The fish are so strong. Hope you get to go out again during this good bite.

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
Pat, I know you normally don't like fishing during biggest part of the moon, but it sure worked for you and Nerlie this time! Nice work!

shadzdad

Aug 6, 2010
Wahiawa,HI USA
Name
Darren
Boat
building one
Pat and Nerlie, good going on a short but productive day. Nerlie always manages to get some nice pics but still waiting for you to turn on the go pro. Just curious, how big was the ono?

dausualinc

Nov 25, 2008
Honolulu
Name
Kekoa
Boat
30' Knife
Awsome Job Pat and Nerlie! You guys got my fever going, I should be able to start fishing soon hopefully...

Kinaiahi61

Jan 17, 2012
Lihue, Hi
Name
Kalani
Boat
Kai Kea
The good luck charm worked again. Wish my wife was game to go. Maybe when I get a bigger boat, if I ever do. Nice fish and in by noon, can't ask for much more. Aloha and stay safe

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Pat, congtats on another nice fish and to get um with the wife is even sweater!
Thanks Brian, yep Nerlie certainly enjoyed the morning.

Congrats Pat and Nerlie on your quality time together! Nice fish and too bad about the other two. You alway manage to find the fish and fight them stand up. That amazes me. The fish are so strong. Hope you get to go out again during this good bite.
Thanks Jason, the stand up thing isn't nearly as hard as you think, it is alot of fun. Didn't hear how yesterday was but I know Monday was pretty slow for most.

Pat, I know you normally don't like fishing during biggest part of the moon, but it sure worked for you and Nerlie this time! Nice work!
Thanks Todd, you are correct, big moon Marlin/Onos, no moon the good stuff. So much for that belief.

Good job Pat. Hope to see you on the water again soon.
Thanks Chuck, good goin again on your fish.

Moon or no moon you still slay em. Good job Pat!
Thanks Angel, the June dark and the full moon have both been good for the Kai'Nana.

Pat and Nerlie, good going on a short but productive day. Nerlie always manages to get some nice pics but still waiting for you to turn on the go pro. Just curious, how big was the ono?
Thanks Darren, the ono was maybe 20##'s. Not sure what to say about the go-pro.

Way to go Pat, sounds like a great day with your wife.
Thanks Jeff, it was.

You and the Captain make it look too easy. Congrats and what as nice way to spend a sunday morning.
Thanks Steven, it was almost a religious experience.

Awsome Job Pat and Nerlie! You guys got my fever going, I should be able to start fishing soon hopefully...
Thanks Kekoa, I hope you get her all put back together soon, just don't rush it.

The good luck charm worked again. Wish my wife was game to go. Maybe when I get a bigger boat, if I ever do. Nice fish and in by noon, can't ask for much more. Aloha and stay safe
Thanks Kalani, go get a big fat yellow one!!!

Pat and Nerlie,
Unbeatable team for sure! Nice looking fish......too bad it wasn't during Ahi Fever.
Thanks Russ, we'll take 'em when we can get 'em, but it sure would have been nice if the fish would have cooperated more during the tournament.

Pat and Nerlie
congrats on nice fish.
Thanks Max.

Good going Capt. N and crew!
Thanks Jeff.

Way to go, once again, Team Blackfin!

Tight lines,
Thanks Eric.

Pat ,
Good going on your tuna and ono. Good grinds for sure.
Aloha,
Thanks Dave.

Aloha
Pat

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Good going pat keep it up. Looks like some old school j.s.i. Lures. I'll give you a call next week.
Thanks Robert, hope you have been doing well haven't seen or heard from you in awhile. Last fall in the porpoise the 1 JSI was doing good so I dusted off some other ones I had put away, those have also been doing good. Interesting, there have been some old school Shiromas in the spread that havent had a touch, which more reinforces my belief in happen-stance.

Cheers
Pat

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Good going Pat and crew!
Thanks Neil, how's the B.I. been treating you, keeping you bloody I am sure.

Awesome job Pat!! I wish I could get my wife up that early to fish, she says I never catch anything before 0800 anyway!!!
Thanks Steve, that was actually a late start, during the bright moon we usually get up early and try for menpachi (we didn't this time).

Cheers
Pat