muymacho74

Surface Iron or bust!!
Jul 23, 2014
San Fernando Valley
Name
Phillip
Boat
America Angler
I recently lost my favorite (and Lucky) DW-1 on a 1.5 day trip on the Navegante Sportfishing out of Redondo on 10-15-2020. I acquired this particular jig on 6-26-2020 when I delivered the first shipment of DW-1s to H&M landing and Jerry (owner of JRI) gave me a half a dozen to take with me on a 2 day trip leaving on that same day on the Voyager. That trip I landed lots Yellowtail and Yellowfin. It was the hot jig on the Boat. A couple of weeks later, I went down to Ensenada and had the best Calico fishing of my life including a personal best on that Jig. The highlight of this baby came on 8-12-2020 on the Vagabond when at the Cortez I hooked and landed a 37.5 Lb. Homeguard Yellowtail. A personal best Yellowtail on the Iron. It seemed as if every trip I was on that jig was the hottest on the boat. It was no different on 10-15-2020 when we woke at the Tanner Bank on the Navegante. It took about an hour of daylight for the conditions to be what I needed to start tossing the Iron. Shortly after I hooked and landed a Yellowtail. First one on the boat. Once again the lucky DW-1 was hot and the number of fish this jig has caught was continuing to add up. Half an hour later another YT hooked and landed. This particular one happened to be the 65th fish that jig had caught. So I took a pic with it. Little did I know that would be the last! Two casts later I cast it off due to a failure of my new #80 Braid about 40 yds onto the spool. With that telltale sound of a jig breaking off, away it went to find a new home at the bottom of the Tanner Bank. My heart broke at that very moment knowing that it would be hard to replace a jig like that one.

I personally own over a thousand jigs in my collection and have so many excellent jigs that can catch fish even on the toughest days but never have I had a Jig that could kill 65 fish and be responsible for two personal bests in just 3-1/2 short months. I can only imagine what this jig would have done had it been with me for a longer period of time. If there is a silver lining in this its that after I lost my lucky all Mint DW-1 I tied on another DW-1 in Mint\white and quickly put two more Yellowtail on the boat. This Mint and white seems to be a really good successor to the first. It has that same wicked kick to it. Will it be as good? Better? Only time will tell but it is definitely off to a great start. These DW-1s are just simply amazing jigs. I can go on and on about all the things I like about them but that will be left for another write-up. In the meanwhile if you haven’t put these things in the water yet I strongly suggest you do. It will make a believer out of you and hopefully get you a PB as well.

After catching 53 fish
D6056107-FEEC-47CD-B1B1-918F5BA44AD9.jpeg

First trip
A39DAC2D-9156-4EB0-930A-5DAEA3B04172.jpeg
9BEE209C-22AE-4DB9-9F31-3F1AA2CAD919.jpeg
36C461FA-2387-4A04-8404-D8FBEAAF516C.jpeg

27 Calicos and PB
4413C1C7-DBDA-4A8B-B1AA-BE34C572B751.jpeg

37.5 Yellowtail
4988F4E6-8809-4B5F-BEE7-FFC8B88B0C2D.jpeg
B245F7A5-41B9-4F9C-B860-E1DA3992D34C.jpeg

Number 65 and our last fish together
60F239C9-B2CE-44FD-BC19-CEE63568C7A6.jpeg

Last edited:

SouthBayKiller

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
I have a 3 I feel similarly about. First trip out it won a jackpot. Not sure how many fish I’ve got on it at this point, but it’s been my go to jig for a few years now. On a recent trip I caught two nice yellows on it and after the second one I cut it off and tossed it I my bag. The deckhand was confused. I said it’s my lucky jig and I’m saving it for when I need luck. It’s the only thing I’m superstitious about 😂

diseasedscrotum

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 17, 2007
Redlands, CA
Name
Doug
Boat
water wings
Great job Phillip!! If you catch 65 or more fish on every JRI jig that you own, you'll be gray by the time you need to hit Jerry up for another bunch of swimmers!! Something tells me there are more PB's in your future dude!! Doug.

Reactions: muymacho74

muymacho74

Surface Iron or bust!!
Jul 23, 2014
San Fernando Valley
Name
Phillip
Boat
America Angler
I have a 3 I feel similarly about. First trip out it won a jackpot. Not sure how many fish I’ve got on it at this point, but it’s been my go to jig for a few years now. On a recent trip I caught two nice yellows on it and after the second one I cut it off and tossed it I my bag. The deckhand was confused. I said it’s my lucky jig and I’m saving it for when I need luck. It’s the only thing I’m superstitious about 😂
I tell you what, thats exactly what Im going to do with the next one. Honestly, I was trying to get to a hundred fish, then I was going to retire it on my “Wall of the Greats” in my garage with all the other that are rarely used unless I need that special kinda luck as you mentioned. Ill be more patient to get to that number next time.

Reactions: Fishybuzz

muymacho74

Surface Iron or bust!!
Jul 23, 2014
San Fernando Valley
Name
Phillip
Boat
America Angler
Great job Phillip!! If you catch 65 or more fish on every JRI jig that you own, you'll be gray by the time you need to hit Jerry up for another bunch of swimmers!! Something tells me there are more PB's in your future dude!! Doug.
Thank you Doug. At this point I have enough Jigs that if I fish a different one each day I fish I would never get to fish them all. Only reason I keep buying them is ADDICTION!!!

Reactions: OldDawg_NewTricks

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Thank you Doug. At this point I have enough Jigs that if I fish a different one each day I fish I would never get to fish them all. Only reason I keep buying them is ADDICTION!!!

If I never got another jig I would NEVER be able to use the ones I have but that said I just got a delivery from Gary of awesome Fishdogged JRI-35's...addiction.....

Reactions: muymacho74