TonyG

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 19, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Name
Tony
Boat
NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
Saturday was a pretty scratchy day for tuna. Lots of radio chatter of 0s and 1’s. Everyone was searching and even Mark Coleman/Tailwalker were still out on the grounds after 3:00 and on still the troll. Not sure how they did.

My buddy and I got out early, headed down to 13 over 54 based on Friday intel we got at the docks (thank you Blue Kai!). Nice run down, got ahead of a small rain squall.

We arrived to a good number of commercial and sport boats down there. We trolled for hrs without a touch and ended up around 10 over 00. We were going to run and hunt to look for something so we cranked everything up and I jumped in the forward helm, looked at the sonar and it was painted with fish in the top 100’. I ran back, grabbed a jig rod, dropped a flutter jig and immediately hooked up. I started chumming like crazy and the tuna were all around. The IQFs were still frozen and many were floating but no worry, tuna were hammering them on the surface. We switched over immediately to feeding out IQFs on a hook and proceeded to catch as many as us 2 guys could for a good while. All on those IQF baits (no red noses, no floaters, all 100% frozen dead!). With a full crew we’d have plugged the boat. I was chumming gaffing and fighting fish but I broke off a bunch because I was trying to do too much at once. Thankfully Steve stayed hooked up the whole time and caught the majority of our fish. We got some real piggies and those buggers put up a hell of a fight. Steve whacked one near 30# pig (weighed 28 at the dock). It must have been a school of pigs because they all were fat footballs.

Eventually it died out after we drifted for about 2 miles to the south – though the fish were still down there on the sonar. I think in part I slacked off on my chumming duty and that hurt us. We’d drop jigs, bait etc trying to get them interested. You could watch the tuna chase the flutter jig down, follow back up, but we could not get the buggers to go. We tried a bunch of things but no luck. So (probably ill-advised) we started the troll again. We trolled all around for hrs more w/o a touch. We saw all the familiar characters out there trolling around too. Nobody on a stop that we could see.

So we headed in satisfied with one random bait stop. We saw a huge pack of pilot whales herding up something. They were thrashing around, jumping etc. So we put out the lines for a while. This was up in guide canyon area. No action.

Good day but a little unsettling how completely lucky we were to find that pod of hungry pigs.

Trolling was 100% useless for us.

No pics of the bloody decks or murder scene so assume it didn't happen! Though the thick tuna loins are incredibly delicious.

Good to meet more of the BD Crew down there!

-TonyG

kenzmad

Jan 18, 2011
kent,wa
www.jamiesseptic.com
Name
jamie
Boat
nwj 218 lightning
Good for you guys. You were the lucky ones. Fishing was tough for sure. Nice back breaking ride in though

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
It is called fishing and in your case you also did catching. Some is always better than none.
Nice report!

mtotemeier

Captain Caaveman!
Mar 2, 2011
Poulsbo wa usa
Name
Marcus
Boat
World CAT 266 SC "The Big Butt"
Tony, we were near you had about the same experience, the only way to get tuna was to lure them up after spotting on the sonar. Glad you got a good bit, glad to have the small amount we did get. Its about the struggle some times. Patch work in progress for my bad call...overall, ready for another tuna run....and soon!!!

TonyG

Nov 19, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Name
Tony
Boat
Tony, we were near you had about the same experience, the only way to get tuna was to lure them up after spotting on the sonar. Glad you got a good bit, glad to have the small amount we did get. Its about the struggle some times. Patch work in progress for my bad call...overall, ready for another tuna run....and soon!!!
Heard you on the radio reaching out to give info about the bar crossing etc

Good on you!

-TonyG

Fireball

Not so New
Jun 23, 2010
Lynnwood, WA. USA
Name
Bud
Boat
SOLD
Nice job Tony.

We were north of you a ways 10+ miles I think Guide Canyon picked 1 up on the troll no more but that peanut, keep going saw jumps pulled 3 out of that and then nothing for 2.5 hours or more. with everyone falling asleep I made the call to go back to where the jumpers were and see if we could get some love. one crew grabbed the jig stick and we put 3 live baits in the water jig rod get slammed and then 2 more on bait. The jigging rod needs replacement no back bone for these fish. Ended up getting 2 of the 3 and it went dead. called it at that point.

Looking forward to another shot soon I hope.

Can you share what the IQFs are?

Good Luck,
Bud

TonyG

Nov 19, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Name
Tony
Boat
Individual Quick Frozen Anchovies. WP Seafoods sells a box of 20# for about 40$. They are in perfect shape.You can get a box when you ice up.

Pro tip from Vance as well as a couple guys @ 3 Rivers.

-tony

dragonballs

I'm off probation
Mar 28, 2008
Arlington WA
Name
Vance
Boat
40' ocean sport fisher
nice job and great report. the majority was very slow.. you guys should be proud of the success.

GregE

Seeking Kodak Moments
May 17, 2011
Shelton, WA Mason
www.sagecreekforums.com
Name
Greg Eastman
Boat
Kodak II - Arima SL 22
Orygun TUNA fishers use IQF a lot as live bait is tough to get. They seem to do well.

I saved some unused chovies from slow trips and plan to use them as chum this year. All stuck in one bag though....

sgwill122

Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
Nice job on a slow day on frozen bait. I will take lucky any day.

SRM44

Nov 25, 2011
everett/wa/snohomish
Name
steve reiter
Boat
alumaweld free drifter
Saturday was a pretty scratchy day for tuna. Lots of radio chatter of 0s and 1’s. Everyone was searching and even Mark Coleman/Tailwalker were still out on the grounds after 3:00 and on still the troll. Not sure how they did.

My buddy and I got out early, headed down to 13 over 54 based on Friday intel we got at the docks (thank you Blue Kai!). Nice run down, got ahead of a small rain squall.

We arrived to a good number of commercial and sport boats down there. We trolled for hrs without a touch and ended up around 10 over 00. We were going to run and hunt to look for something so we cranked everything up and I jumped in the forward helm, looked at the sonar and it was painted with fish in the top 100’. I ran back, grabbed a jig rod, dropped a flutter jig and immediately hooked up. I started chumming like crazy and the tuna were all around. The IQFs were still frozen and many were floating but no worry, tuna were hammering them on the surface. We switched over immediately to feeding out IQFs on a hook and proceeded to catch as many as us 2 guys could for a good while. All on those IQF baits (no red noses, no floaters, all 100% frozen dead!). With a full crew we’d have plugged the boat. I was chumming gaffing and fighting fish but I broke off a bunch because I was trying to do too much at once. Thankfully Steve stayed hooked up the whole time and caught the majority of our fish. We got some real piggies and those buggers put up a hell of a fight. Steve whacked one near 30# pig (weighed 28 at the dock). It must have been a school of pigs because they all were fat footballs.

Eventually it died out after we drifted for about 2 miles to the south – though the fish were still down there on the sonar. I think in part I slacked off on my chumming duty and that hurt us. We’d drop jigs, bait etc trying to get them interested. You could watch the tuna chase the flutter jig down, follow back up, but we could not get the buggers to go. We tried a bunch of things but no luck. So (probably ill-advised) we started the troll again. We trolled all around for hrs more w/o a touch. We saw all the familiar characters out there trolling around too. Nobody on a stop that we could see.

So we headed in satisfied with one random bait stop. We saw a huge pack of pilot whales herding up something. They were thrashing around, jumping etc. So we put out the lines for a while. This was up in guide canyon area. No action.

Good day but a little unsettling how completely lucky we were to find that pod of hungry pigs.

Trolling was 100% useless for us.

No pics of the bloody decks or murder scene so assume it didn't happen! Though the thick tuna loins are incredibly delicious.

Good to meet more of the BD Crew down there!

-TonyG
Tuna dinner.jpg Tunas.jpg