Surfdawg

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 4, 2013
Kailua
Name
Mike
Boat
Blackfin 29' Flybridge
Saw that there was a small window with the wind that has been pretty steady and looks to be picking up even more this weekend so we headed out Tuesday morning. Left Kaneohe at 0530 with Chris and Herbie and made a few passes at U buoy but nothing. Broke out the Fujinon binoculars and saw a boat in a bird pile and headed over but by the time I got there the birds were gone, so I just headed out with another boat to my left and was going to work another area. While trolling out the Port rigger comes down and Chris and Herbie scramble off the bridge and get busy clearing lines and reeling. It took us a while and there was plenty of communication between the 3 of us as to who would be doing what as the fish got closer to the boat. Once the fish was at the boat it made a dash for the transom and trim tabs, Chris kept the line off the boat while Herbie handled the leader and called out to Chris he was going to bring it around 1 more time, and then Chris sunk the first gaff and it was a perfect head shot, Herbie backed it up with a second gaff and they pulled it into the boat. All this action was over by 8:30. That is how all mornings fishing should go. The rest of the day was slow but picked up a 12b Aku and we were back at the dock by 3:45. Great day fishing!

Chris & Herbie Ahi.jpg Ahi lure.JPG Hammer time.JPG

I'M OFF

Really off
Jul 12, 2007
On the deck
Name
Tommy
Boat
Nice fish! We cruised by U bouy in the late afternoon. Lots of birds but no biters. Congrats on the ahi!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hiloboy

Okinawaiian Sencho
Feb 26, 2009
Okinawa Japan
Name
Donald
Boat
Yamaha 25 SR Flybridge
Right on, sounds like some great team work, congrats!

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Mike, Chris and Herbie,
Got HIM!!! Good goin' guys, glad you were able to make it out before the winds pick up.

Cheers
Pat

conor

Nov 9, 2010
Oahu
Name
Ohana o Kai
Boat
20 ft. Pioneer
Great job, that is a great looking fish

shfish

Apr 14, 2012
Palolo
Name
Spencer
Boat
Ohana H, 30' Knife
Saw that there was a small window with the wind that has been pretty steady and looks to be picking up even more this weekend so we headed out Tuesday morning. Left Kaneohe at 0530 with Chris and Herbie and made a few passes at U buoy but nothing. Broke out the Fujinon binoculars and saw a boat in a bird pile and headed over but by the time I got there the birds were gone, so I just headed out with another boat to my left and was going to work another area. While trolling out the Port rigger comes down and Chris and Herbie scramble off the bridge and get busy clearing lines and reeling. It took us a while and there was plenty of communication between the 3 of us as to who would be doing what as the fish got closer to the boat. Once the fish was at the boat it made a dash for the transom and trim tabs, Chris kept the line off the boat while Herbie handled the leader and called out to Chris he was going to bring it around 1 more time, and then Chris sunk the first gaff and it was a perfect head shot, Herbie backed it up with a second gaff and they pulled it into the boat. All this action was over by 8:30. That is how all mornings fishing should go. The rest of the day was slow but picked up a 12b Aku and we were back at the dock by 3:45. Great day fishing!

View attachment 772456 View attachment 772457 View attachment 772459
Nice Tuna Captain Mike good going!!!
Aloha Spens

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
Congrats Mike, Chris and Herbie.....that's a nice tuna!

I'm a bit surprised that you're concerned about the winds when you're running a 29' Blackfin, a "heavyweight" when compared to the average boat used by most recreational fishermen here.

Hij

Aug 1, 2011
Mililani HI
Name
Jason Hijirida
Boat
25 Force, PAIGE H
Congrats on your ahi!! Ahi on the boat before 9am! Thats an awesome day!!