LR rock cod methods

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Looking for a new one
I have mixed feelings about the growing trend of stopping for "reds and lings" but since it's a fairly common thing these days, I'm elevating it in my planning to more than an afterthought.

I haven' been on a true rock cod trip since the days of grinding a 9/0 with Dacron line. But thinking back to that experience, I wonder about things like 4x shrimp flies, swim baits, and jigs.

If I'm aiming to make the most of the rock cod stops, what do y'all suggest?

BTW, all of my lings last year were green, including the meat. That was kinda strange.

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
I have mixed feelings about the growing trend of stopping for "reds and lings" but since it's a fairly common thing these days, I'm elevating it in my planning to more than an afterthought.

I haven' been on a true rock cod trip since the days of grinding a 9/0 with Dacron line. But thinking back to that experience, I wonder about things like 4x shrimp flies, swim baits, and jigs.

If I'm aiming to make the most of the rock cod stops, what do y'all suggest?

BTW, all of my lings last year were green, including the meat. That was kinda strange.
Due to horrible weather on my last LR trip, we stopped on the way back for deep water rockfish, it was actually kinda fun! I just used a JRI heavy single hook glow jig, with a shrimp fly above it, a guy on our charter was from Ventura made the shrimp fly, we fished some pinnacles up to 450 feet, caught some monster 8lb plus reds and a couple nice lings up to 15 pounds! Due to the circumstances beyond our control ( weather) it was a nice way to finish of the trip, with a bunch of super quality rockfish! You go long range fishing, you grab the dice and roll them! And whatever happens weather wise, conditions, and numerous other variables, you have no control over! Just fish hard, and take advantage of any opportunitys available during your time on the water!

Upvote 0

tunacraze

• Nov 27, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    Steve Brunton
    Boat
    The Big Ones
    Why not just buy an SPJ setup? Those look pretty fun and I'm pretty sure just about anything you encounter will eat those jigs.

Reactions: Fincutter
    Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    Why not just buy an SPJ setup? Those look pretty fun and I'm pretty sure just about anything you encounter will eat those jigs.
    I'm considering buying a temple reef SPJ rod, I already have a Penn torque 15 narrow lever drag reel, pretty sure that would be a killer slow pitch outfit. Probably overkill with that 2 speed little powerhouse reel.

Reactions: Fincutter
    Upvote 0

salty nuts

• Jun 2, 2004
    Camarillo
    Name
    Tim Mohawk
    Boat
    25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
    Not strange to have ling meat be green or blue. It turns white when you cook. Best eating fish around.

Upvote 0

Dave Coopman

Almost A Member
    May 26, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Dave Coopman
    Boat
    Judge 27
    Tie up a 20 hook ganion on the ride up, get it done in 1 drop
    I’m not going to say the boat, but one trip they had a ganion that was from the stern to about the kitchen in the galley.

Quite an impressive drop to say the least.

This happened over 20 years ago. It looked like a red longline as they started to float.

Upvote 0

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
    Bartlett, IL
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Looking for a new one
    I am very impressed with the OP for having such a positive attitude. If I was on a long range boat that had to stop for rockfish to salvage the trip, I would not be a happy camper at all.
    Thanks! I have a feeling that it's a product of the times . . . where other sure things like Cedros are off the table. Sad to lose those options . . . but happy to have local BFT cows!

Upvote 0

floydlpackard

Jan 24, 2012
    Kennewick, WA USA
    Name
    Floyd
    Boat
    none
    Trips I have been on there are some who will not put a line in the water on a rock cod stop. I understand, but I really enjoy it. I always take a SPJ outfit, Temple reef Innovate. I will fish the SPJ even on the ridge for yellows or on grouper drifts. Just like what was mentioned you can attach another lure above the jig. Very productive and fun, no bait needed. Caught some nice lings on it. At the Cortez fishing for bluefin I worked SPJ for a nice 50lb halibut last year. When I bring some bottom fish home, it is always the first to get taken by my family.

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
    la mesa ca
    Name
    mike de vito
    Boat
    20ft nitro
    What I started doing ,
    Is I buy glow tube baits
    And small glow grub tails,
    And I use a long shank hook,
    And it been working well.
    I use bare long shank 7/0 hooks. Then I place a gulp pink slime curly tail 6-8 inch long. Below that I use the jig. Usually doubled up on each drift. I found that the pink and white (pink Slime) work best for the reds and lings. I also use Bass Pro Shops senko style worms in orange, brown and red. Candy Corn Swirl Bass Pro Shops® 6'' Stik-O™ Worm

Upvote 0

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
    Jul 1, 2008
    San Ramon, CA
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    I love all kinds of fishing....I love catching shallow water rockfish and lings. I will always be at the rail for all these stops.....normally fishing some kind of Bar with a shrimp fly tied up about 3'

However, I am not keeping any rockfish on a LR Trip as getting them cleaned is not worth it by the fish processors. And I get enough up here in the bay area. I will keep a nice ling or two though! Yes, I am giving the fish away to those that want it as they die...if no one wants any more I stop.

Most rockfish are less than 10#'s so the processors charge more per pound for smaller fish...then rockfish you don't get all that much filet per fish....meaning you end up paying a significant fee per Pound on what you get back in your package. Meaning same price as what you can pick up at a place like Point Loma Seafood.

Cut and pasted from 5 Star - "Please note that fish under 10 pounds are subject to a different price schedule as they require substantially more time and effort to process"

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
    Bartlett, IL
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Looking for a new one
    1618429868377.png

Upvote 0