walkerman

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 7, 2008
Ventura
Name
Steve
Boat
n/a
what do you do to maintain you reels on a LR trip? Do you just pour. F re sh. W a te r on the once in awhile, use a commercial desalting spray or just let them stay in the rack and clean them when you get home? If you use commercials prey, what do you use. Do you leave reel covers on them when not in use? Just curious.

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    During the trip, I spray freshwater on my reels every night if at all possible. I also put a few drops of Corrosion-X on the external moving parts (handle knob, etc.) a couple times during the trip. Then once I get home I do a complete service.

Reactions: ripped
    Upvote 0

walkerman

May 7, 2008
    Ventura
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    n/a
    During the trip, I spray freshwater on my reels every night if at all possible. I also put a few drops of Corrosion-X on the external moving parts (handle knob, etc.) a couple times during the trip. Then once I get home I do a complete service.
    Does it hurt if you get some spray on the line?

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

• Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    I don't think it would hurt if you got some Corrosion-X or Boeshield T-9 on the line but I try to avoid it. And it can't hurt to pre-treat your rods and the outside of your reels with Corrosion-X before a trip but it's still vital to rinse them in freshwater and service them after the trip.

Upvote 0

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
    Sep 9, 2004
    West LA
    Name
    Min
    Boat
    None
    Usually before my trip, I prep the reels and use Cals grease inside the reel. And some how or another, I usually get grease all over my hands. To get the grease off a bit and also protect the reel, I just rub it all over the surface of the reel. Works great at repelling water on the surface of the reel during the trip.

Reactions: eric harner
    Upvote 0

strackle99

• Mar 20, 2008
    Villa Lepro, Baja
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    The one on the fish
    Once a reel gets uncovered, the cover stays off for the remainder of the trip.

I don't want a wet, covered reel to form consensation.

I spray Saltex on my uncovered reels each night.

I also fish mostly Avets. I can service one in an hour or two, if it needs it during a trip.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    what do you do to maintain you reels on a LR trip? Do you just pour. F re sh. W a te r on the once in awhile, use a commercial desalting spray or just let them stay in the rack and clean them when you get home? If you use commercials prey, what do you use. Do you leave reel covers on them when not in use? Just curious.
    I take all the Reel cover off the Reels and put the Drag Barley on
    except for the Reels I put on the top Deck
    and First thing I do in the Morning, is Spray them with
    Fresh water from a water bottle
    then I wipe them down with a Towel

Upvote 0

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Any Boat that I can go on
    Ok slightly similar question. How do you get all the little scales off the rod grips. Trying to figure an easier way

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Reel covers. Interesting topic there. Ken and Wes (Ken's Custom Reels) both keep covers on their reels while they're in the rack.

Upvote 0

alan760

Dec 7, 2003
    Encinitas, CA
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    American Angler
    Spray bottle and freshwater. Rinse rods and reels every other day.

Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
    Jun 20, 2015
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Brad I
    Boat
    Nope
    I put the reels on the day before I expect to use them. I leave them covered in the racks if I have covers. Once uncovered, I don't cover them again. My drag is set, which helps a bit in keeping water out. I do nothing else to them until the end of the trip, when I move the drag to full and then splash water on them and dry them off. I let them dry as much as possible in the open air in my room, then pack them in the reel bag. At home, I let them dry completely and service as needed. No problem in almost 20 years of fishing, but I would recommend quick servicing of trolling reels as they can get thoroughly wet bobbing around the stern.

Ok slightly similar question. How do you get all the little scales off the rod grips. Trying to figure an easier way

That's hard. I live in a house and set the rods in the backyard so that when the sprinklers come on in the morning, they soak the rods, sort of like letting a pot soak overnight. An hour or two later its work with a scrub sponge and fingernails.

Upvote 0

Brad I

Jun 20, 2015
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Brad I
    Boat
    Nope
    I put the reels on the day before I expect to use them. I leave them covered in the racks if I have covers. Once uncovered, I don't cover them again. My drag is set, which helps a bit in keeping water out. I do nothing else to them until the end of the trip, when I move the drag to full and then splash water on them and dry them off. I let them dry as much as possible in the open air in my room, then pack them in the reel bag. At home, I let them dry completely and service as needed. No problem in almost 20 years of fishing, but I would recommend quick servicing of trolling reels as they can get thoroughly wet bobbing around the stern.

That's hard. I live in a house and set the rods in the backyard so that when the sprinklers come on in the morning, they soak the rods, sort of like letting a pot soak overnight. An hour or two later its work with a scrub sponge and fingernails.

Upvote 0

Brad I

Jun 20, 2015
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Brad I
    Boat
    Nope

Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
    Dec 1, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    N/A :(
    I fish em hard and put em away wet and then I just drive over to Alan Tani's house and drop em off :D

Reactions: rickberg
    Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private
    Keep reels covered until used. Spray reels with fresh water a few times during the day and right before use. Check drags every morning before fishing. Wipe hypalon with a wet rag (freshwater) before returning to rack. At end of trip clamp down drag and rinse in sink, dry with towel. Set for a few hours on bunk with drain holes down.

Then send to Ken or Alan for any in need of service.

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

Normslanding

Oct 13, 2010
    Palmetto, Fl., USA
    Name
    Dave Spangler
    Boat
    Blue Heaven
    Once uncovered mine stay that way. If I see salt build up they are sprayed with FW and a little detergent. The routine is about like others. As I do all my own service thing that are a issue become apparent. A major thing with all brands is the dissimilar metals, screw holes and the reel foot are the big issue. All the screw holes, etc are liberally filled with my grease of choice, this reduces salt build up. This one thing has eliminated a lot of corrosion start up. All reels are cracked open at home, mostly it is just a visual. The usual re-greasing of screw holes, and a coat of lube does it.

Reactions: dh515
    Upvote 0

eric harner

Caliente Tuna
    Oct 7, 2009
    Phoenix Hellazona
    Name
    Azlandlocked
    Boat
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    Usually before my trip, I prep the reels and use Cals grease inside the reel. And some how or another, I usually get grease all over my hands. To get the grease off a bit and also protect the reel, I just rub it all over the surface of the reel. Works great at repelling water on the surface of the reel during the trip.
    X2

Upvote 0

offshore6

Where's the tuna?
    Aug 20, 2006
    Indialantic, Florida
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Boat Ho
    Fresh water from a spray bottle every day. If the weather is nasty and they get doused with salt, I use a spray of Salt-X followed by fresh water. Once the covers come off, they stay off.

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
    Oceanside Ca.
    Name
    Mike Morris
    Boat
    prowler kayak
    salt x good to have a little cals on side plate screws for corrosion and reel covers on if your not using keeps the salt off from the wash down hose

Upvote 0

Johnny J

Formally INOXicated
    May 10, 2008
    Idyllwild, CA USA
    www.bluepacifictackle.com
    Name
    John
    Boat
    not mine
    Getsome: You can spray this product directly on rods, reels and terminal tackle. Getsome will not harm mono and will keep spectra from building up moisture which causes spool corrosion. NSF H1 food grade, contains no petrol-chemicals, silicones or acids. Will no harm paints, plastics, fiberglass, enamels or wood. Non-staining, non-static and non-conductive, it's an awesome dialectric. Getsome and Get It Done. Do forget your firearms too.
    www.getsomeproducts.com
    image.jpeg

Any questions give me a call. (951)551-0851

Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat
    A big Steel One
    Nothing to them. If they are going to fail spraying water on the outside of them isnt going to do anything from preventing a bearing failure or salt intrusion on the drag plate.

Service them after the trip.

Upvote 0

alan760

Dec 7, 2003
    Encinitas, CA
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    American Angler
    How about Boeshield T-9 on the outside of reels and on rods in preparation for the trip?

That's what Ken's Custom sells for corrosion protection.

As for the fish scales, I rinse and wash my rods with dilute soapy water at the end of the trip, then let it air dry.

Upvote 0