LR boats need to be fishing North of San Diego right now

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by vegasandre, Jul 20, 2015.

1. mikelravy

mikelravy Member

Name:
    Mike McElravy
    Boat:
    Jim Dandy
    It's not just about the catch

Otis2527, JWFogg and Fishybuzz like this.
  2. Otis2527

Otis2527 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Excel
    My oldest son (20) and I leave next Monday for 7 days on the Excel. This will be his first LR trip. For the past few months we have been preparing for this trip. Every couple of weeks, he will ask me what we are going to fish for and where are we going to fish. I have given him the run down on the variety of these trips. My canned answer is that I really don't care where we go or what we fish for. I know the Capt will figure that part out. Our job is to have a good time and enjoy whatever the adventure is.

I am certain that once our trip is over, he will have the same understanding of what a LR trip is all about. I have seen him up u till now, always have good time, attitude first and the catching part is the bonus.

Its all about the adventure/experience.

3. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Just like my golf game. LOL

Abaco likes this.
  4. bmachale

bmachale Bob MacHale

Name:
    Bob MacHale
    Boat:
    SeaSwirl Striper 21 Richard M
    NO Long Range Boats inside of 20 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stay out where you belong

Pangamaster likes this.
  5. ironfish

ironfish "Veni,Vidi,Vici"

Name:
    Leonard
    Boat:
    Excel
    Hey Matt,
    My son, daughter and I will be on your trip next week.
    This is what my son caught on the Sogioka/Stires trip last year with a moderate "El Nino".
    The Opa on the left is 155lbs, the center Opa is a world record 181, and the small 121lb. Opa belongs to my son, Travis.
    The Opa were caught on our second day of our trip at San Quintin, approximately 125 miles south of San Diego.
    We left San Quintin that afternoon after our Captain, Justin Flecht, heard on the radio that large bluefin were being caught off of San Clemente.
    The next day, my son caught his 119lb. Bluefin in the picture.
    It was incredible that of the 32 experienced anglers on the Excel that trip, the one's that caught the Opa on the first day, also caught the biggest Bluefin the next day.

travis's Opah picture (2).jpg

Travis's 119lb bluefin Tuna.jpg

vegasandre likes this.
  6. Otis2527

Otis2527 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Excel
    That looks like a solid trip. Looking forward to meeting you guys.

A pic of Ryan and I

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437524425.439761.jpg

He is 6'2" for reference on that fish of his

ironfish likes this.
  7. big dog62

big dog62 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    spanky
    Boat:
    sac-yac
    Well, I guess I'm one of those who DON'T. When I book a LR trip, I expect the captain, to the best of his knowledge, to put me in the best position to catch fish. If this means fishing waters close to home, so be it. I WANT TO KILL FISH! If I just wanted to sit around singing kumba yah with a bunch of guys, while taking in the scenery of the Baja coast, I'd book a booze cruise.

26grumpy, Abaco, @-EZ and 2 others like this.
  8. FISHNFRANK

FISHNFRANK Member

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    Cabin
    I was once like you grasshopper....

Anyway, a practical issue with fishing up here was the Royal Star's experience yesterday, they came up to US waters yesterday and caught 1 - 141 lb BFT and 17 smaller 20-35 lb yellowfin. That's not exactly "killing fish". Now if those big BFT decide to bite, they'll be heroes. If not they might have a lot of frustrated fisherman. I do know that Randy and Tim will always go after big fish if they are able to....but BFT are notoriously picky

On my 7 day in late August in personally hoping for the Ridge, Rocks or Guadalupe. That way we can potentially catch bigger YFT, wahoo and they have plenty of time to sit around in our grass skirts, strumming our acoustic guitars, singing folk songs....

smidge, Texlee, ironfish and 3 others like this.
  9. Al B.Fishing

Al B.Fishing Newbie

Name:
    gary
    Boat:
    n/a
    trolling in 200 miles of perfect generic water now, looking or hoping for that paddy and weeding through 8 lb yellowfin,I will take US waters right now any day.Its Zane Grey era shit right now!

10. pgangler

pgangler 12Wt

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    Was Cabo35, now RR3
    I think we're seeing a split between the 7+ day trips and the 3-5 day trips. The 7+ are getting down to the Ridge and Alijos, which increases their options and historically puts them into bigger YFT and wahoo. The 3-5's can't get past Cedros and are currently finding mostly small YFT and nice YT (where are all the Dodo's??). We all want to catch fish and enjoy the camaraderie. Some are prioritizing the camaraderie higher, and others the quailty of the fishing. I'm only getting out once this year, on a 5-day in August. Personally, I'd prioritize the fishing and if that means US waters and PB nonsense for a chance at 50-180lb tuna, vs solitude and 25lb tuna and YT - I absolutely vote for the chance at bigger fish.

Chris Penning, big dog62 and Tar Pit like this.
  11. bob1825

bob1825 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    Ron, I like the way you broke it into the two groups. On 5 days or less I would absolutely want to stay in US waters, which is why I booked a 2 day on the Maximus in August to have a chance at the BFT. I also have a 10 day on the Excel in late September and I absolutely want to go down to Alijos and points beyond for a variety of fish.

We are lucky that there are so many options for us this year to get on the types of trips we like and go after the species we like.

12. FISHNFRANK

FISHNFRANK Member

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    Cabin
    Actually the Royal Star was on day 3 of a 7 day when they came back to US waters meaning thing really went to heck down south. In the future you may see more LR trips take that right turn more often if Mexico keeps closing islands and putting zero limits on species...

I'm also puzzled by the lack of Dorado. Every paddy we stopped on usually had YFT or yellowtail but we only had one keeper dodo. The are usually the hallmark of strong El Ninos

13. Artois

Artois Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Roy
    Boat:
    Not Given
    Nothing quite like telling the best captains in the fleet how to fish. Love internet forums.

smidge, Steve K, arkansastuna and 4 others like this.
  14. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    Its just for fun and discussion.
    I would of killed to have this discussion in 2010 or 2011- we are lucky. Remember that 56-60 degree water in August?

We are very fortunate to be having such quality fishing so close to home here in southern california (rumors of wahoo already yesterday too)(and I never thought 5 years ago I would equate California with "home" but that is another story)

A lot of the LR fisherman don't live close to the ocean and have easy access to our current local fishery(12 years in vegas- I know how that goes), so a lot of our local day style fishery is not really in the equation for everyone.
    Also this fishing equation is not only impacted by the fisherman's location but also by how often they get out , how many trips they go on, age ,financial ability, experience,etc.

When I lived in Vegas and didn't have easy access to day trips, I used the LR trips as my "fish killing trips" . Nowadays I use them more as a vacation (but fish catching(and releasing) is still #1) and fulfillment of a passion.
    Nowadays I have easy access and a more flexible schedule that allows for the day trip local deal so I get to experience that way more-right now it is close to epic.

The LR captains are fantastic. They will always try to make the best choice for their group they are fishing with based on the current conditions and type/ length of trip.
    Right now they are probably giving the US fishery more thought than they probably ever have in many years.

15. clintonstick

clintonstick Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    g3
    i think you should call all the longrange captains and tell them your opinion,tell them to get their shit together and read bd before deciding where to fish their million dollar boats.lol

16. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    I really don't care where I fish. Put me on them and just let me do my thing. Yank & crank baby, yank & crank!

Texlee, Abaco and XL1 like this.
  17. Rubberhook2

Rubberhook2 Local Bluefin

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    None
    Just wait for this next full moon phase...the Bluefin will go wide, wherever they are.

18. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    New Lo Ann has a 130lb and a 200lb bft on the deck today. Pretty cool!

19. Tar Pit

Tar Pit Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat:
    None.
    I love it when the overnight skippers are telling their customer to bring #60, #80 and #100 set ups.

Artois likes this.
  20. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    ZZZZZ
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    EPIC MENTAL FISHING :rockin::Rambo_Throwing_Kniv:cow: