Lowrance Yamaha interface cable question

Discussion in 'Boat Electronics' started by dansly56, Mar 28, 2017.

1. dansly56

dansly56 Member

Name:
    dan sly
    Boat:
    2007 key west 225dc
    Sup fellas I'm looking to install a lowrance Yamaha interface cable but when I took off the cowling today I found 2 wires that didn't have anything hooked up to them. One cable was hard to snap a picture of since it was Behind the latch of the cowling and uder another cable. This one that I snapped a picture I'm thinking might be the one but wanted your guys opinion before I hook it up. My motor is a 06 f250 4 stroke.

IMG_7349.JPG

2. Walker Inc.

Walker Inc. I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Patrick Walker
    Boat:
    33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
    That's the one

3. benrd81

benrd81 Member

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    2660 Sailfish WAC Reellife
    Technically you don't need the cable. you could cut the end off and splice on a nmea 2k wire end and it would work. Personally I would buy one of the pigtail wires and extend it into the boat and go from there. https://www.simyamaha.com/category_s/7702.htm

Here is what they sell for the conversion to nmea 2k.
    https://www.simyamaha.com/Yamaha_Gateway_Module_p/6y9-8a2d0-40-00.htm

I already had the Yamaha gauges and network on the boat so I took one of the empty ports on the Yamaha network and made a Yamaha cable to nmea 2k cable and now get the motor data on my MFD's. Lot cheaper than buying their cable and the funny part is the wiring colors matched each other. To set up the Yamaha stuff isn't cheap as you can see.

4. benrd81

benrd81 Member

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    Here's just some of the engine data I get on the 7612 with the cable I made. Hope this helps
    Resized_20170401_100025.jpeg

5. dansly56

dansly56 Member

Name:
    dan sly
    Boat:
    2007 key west 225dc
    Oh man have I've been having trouble with my unit to recognize the lowrance cables. I ended buying the lowrance Yamaha interface cable from amazon. Than I bought the lowrance nema 2000 kit. So I hooked it all up a few times and tried different area on my boat to power up the backbone cabels and nada. I went into settings, communications, nmea 2000 setup ans then device list and nothing pops up for my engine only my plotter shows up. I'm puzzled that it's not or working. Here's a few pics of how I hooked it up.

IMG_7509.JPG IMG_7506.JPG IMG_7508.JPG IMG_7510.JPG IMG_7512.JPG IMG_7489.JPG IMG_7492.JPG

6. gearshifter

gearshifter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Andy
    Boat:
    22 Davis Cortez
    Because the power cable is hook on the ground be buss bar

7. benrd81

benrd81 Member

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    Andy hit it on the head. The nmea network is powered by that power connection and like an led it is polarity sensitive.