titos334

VIP Elite Member
Aug 19, 2012
Hell
Name
Kevin
Boat Name
Rainbow Surprise
After getting a taste during Thanksgiving I decided to go back to the Lower Owens for New Years. Left home early on Dec 31 and made it up to Bishop just after 9am. Got the same camping spot at the Pleasant Valley campground and setup camp and went right to fishing. I fished some of the same water I fished before and some new water. Fishing was ok for me, landed 4 fish on New Years and lost at least that many. I also lost a lot of nymphs snagging bottom but I figure it's like bass fishing if your'e not losing gear you're not in the right spot. It got pretty windy at night and cold lol but sitting by the campfire made it alright and some champagne warms the soul. Despite the nighttime lows of about 15 I slept really cozy in my tent.

New Years day I woke up after the sun poked its head about the mountain and got to fishing at about 8am. I decided to scout out some new water further down below the campground. Took a lot of casts and persistence but managed to land some fish about 5 for the day and lost a couple more. It was pretty cold through the morning but the guides only really iced up in the shadows. At 3:30pm decided to call it quits and head into down to Rusty's to catch the rest of the Rose Bowl. Unfortunately my Utes lost but gotta be in it to lose it so it was good nonetheless. After the game ate dinner and sat by the fire until bed time.

Sunday I woke up broke down camp and fished for 2 hours but didnt catch anything so heading to the car and back on home and made it back around 3pm. All in all it was a great time, weather was nice and calm for the most part and rather pleasant winter weather to be honest. Caught my last and first fish of the year so already off to a great start to 2022. All the fish I caught were on nymphs below an indicator with various #16 jig nymphs with the best being a tungston parrot pattern and either a #20 midge or #20 beadhead pheasant tail.

OxfgoiF.jpg

SYb8qTB.jpg

xmyuwfv.jpg

NfkwDpD.jpg

0I7sn6L.jpg

zmW49RC.jpg

AoKVhUw.jpg

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Great report/pics and cool camp site.
    Those wild lil' trout must be fun on nymphs.
    I miss going up there yearly now. I loved
    stopping at Pleasant Valley on the way up
    to Mammoth Spring Skiing...fishing the res
    dam on those big boulders. Nice well kept
    area for camping too. Glad you had fun!

Upvote 0

tomahawk

Apr 9, 2015
    Name
    tom
    Boat Name
    none
    Nice report. I was supposed to be up there the 27 through the 30 but decided it was too cold with too much weather. Cancelled on the 24th. I am read to get out there again. I jokingly told my wife I was going to drive up tomorrow. She said I could go because she has to work. We got a good laugh out of that. Hopefully in a week or two.

Upvote 0

titos334

VIP Elite Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Hell
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat Name
    Rainbow Surprise
    Nice report. I was supposed to be up there the 27 through the 30 but decided it was too cold with too much weather. Cancelled on the 24th. I am read to get out there again. I jokingly told my wife I was going to drive up tomorrow. She said I could go because she has to work. We got a good laugh out of that. Hopefully in a week or two.

I think a lot of people shared your opinion because the campground was pretty dead other than a handful of climbers and people in trailers/camper vans lol hopefully your trip comes together!

Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 19, 2008
    The Land of Entrapment
    Name
    Curtis
    Boat Name
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    Excellent reportage! And particularly for winter time fishing, dredging the bottom is the ticket (actually any time of the year). If you’re not already, start using jig style nymphs. You’ll find a huge reduction in getting hung up. And, IMHO, the further away from the campground, the better the opportunities. Look for those bends with deep pools.

Look forward to reading many more reports from you and watching your development.

Reactions: titos334
    Upvote 0

titos334

VIP Elite Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Hell
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat Name
    Rainbow Surprise
    Excellent reportage! And particularly for winter time fishing, dredging the bottom is the ticket (actually any time of the year). If you’re not already, start using jig style nymphs. You’ll find a huge reduction in getting hung up. And, IMHO, the further away from the campground, the better the opportunities. Look for those bends with deep pools.

Look forward to reading many more reports from you and watching your development.

yup love jig nymphs always used one in tandem with a smaller nymph. My hang ups were mostly do to poor casts tangling in the reeds along the river or letting them float over rocks/wood and snagging.

The bends with deeper pools were the ticket although there are a couple spots directly in the campground that are money. Definitely getting more and more into it and trying to figure when I can go back ASAP.

Reactions: 7emptsT
    Upvote 0